Friday, July 27, 2007

Christmas Early!

Now see, during the RWA reporting by Dear Author, Smart Bitches and Kristie, not one person mentioned Anne Stuart. We heard about elevator run ins with Linda Howard and Nalini Singh brushing hair and of course Nora Roberts being well, Nora Roberts!

There were envious sighs by those of us unable to attend but there was a little part of me that was okay with the events because Anne Stuart had obviously not shown.

I've been duped!

In case I didn't mention Kristie came for a visit today and I was excited to hear all about her adventures at RWA. There had also been a question about my love of vampire books - YES so I knew there might be a few titles that would find a home here.

So after hugs and drinks and settling into comfy chairs Kristie brings out the cutest little gift bag and well, I'm pretty sure I was clapping at that point. I look in the bag and I see the tops of some books. I start pulling them out slowly and squeee'd happily with each one. I'm going to post them in a second. She also brought me the first two books in Robyn Carr's series Virgin River and Shelter Mountain. Super Cool!

Then I notice that the bag is still heavy so I look inside and the sneak has put a book in the bottom of the bag. I can't tell what book it is because she has wrapped it in tissue paper. Since I'm already beyond giggly (and really, I soooo don't do giggles) I'm not sure what to expect.

I've never had so much trouble tearing paper off a gift before - I think Kristie used super glue. I was floored when I saw Anne Stuart's Ice Blue but I must have been making a squeeing sound because Kristie says 'you have to open it'.

Oh. Hell. No.

It's signed!!! And it's signed to ME!!

I hugged the book, I hugged Kristie, I hugged the book and well, you get the picture.

Kristie stood in line for me!! Kristie was feeling claustrophobic that day and still stood in line for me!!

Since Kristie is a bookie like the rest of us I can only hope she knows how much it means to me that she took time to get me a signed Anne Stuart.

Bob was pounced upon when he got home from work and shown the new beauty. He was suitably impressed (I was BBQing and there was no way he was going to ruin a good thing) and told Kristie that he would have to start work on the shrine the next day. I'm not sure if he knows this but I'm taking that to heart!

So today was a perfect day. We drank pop and ate potato chips and rehashed all the happenings in Dallas. Kristie told me about the other authors she had met and about some of the books they have written (Kristie has a great memory for plots, whereas I'm lucky if I can remember if I've ever read a book), I got scolded for not reading One Summer by Karen Robards (I explained my 'crazy' to her but I don't think she was feeling me) and we searched through my bookcases for one particular book. At one point Kristie said 'You don't have these in any kind of order, do you?'

Uh, no.

Bad Cindy.

Oh! And she showed me some cool tricks on Excel that I didn't know about to help me with sorting books. I think I may be motivated to catalogue all the books I own. Okay, I'm kinda scared of doing this as I will then know the exact number of books I own and although I'm sure I can take it, I'm not sure Bob can survive the shock.

Course, I could catalogue his tools.

Okay, I have to go and find the perfect spot to put my book. I'm wondering about a shadow box but Bob doesn't like them and I wouldn't get to pet the cover whenever I want to.

What?

No.

I don't stroke book covers either.

Sheesh!

8 comments:

~ames~ said...

oh man! i wish i could have been there. :P

good stuff on the book. i want that list and pictures of the shrine-stat! lol

Rosie said...

This is so great. I'm with Ames, I'd have loved to be there the moment you cracked open that book and saw the inscription. Way cool.

Holly said...

Yep, I'm with the other two, I really wish we could have seen your face.

I'm so excited for you. Kristie never ceases to amaze me.

Wendy said...

Tee Hee, I knew but said nothing! Nobody can say that Super Librarian can't keep a secret.

Anonymous said...

awww ... you both. I just love to hear stories of booklovers meeting and becoming friends in blogosphere. It just gives me warm fuzzy feelings. hugs to you both

And Cindy, OMG, I'm so green with envy. A signed copy of Ice Blue ... btw, that's her BEST. I finished it on the flight back from Sydney. Simply couldn't put it down!! Takashi just blew me away.

Kristie (J) said...

Now see - what Cindy doesn't say is she gave me a squealy moment too. In return she loaned You're Mouth Drives Me Crazy by Helen Kay Dimon. I was really thinking of getting this one - but couldn't really justify buying a trade size with all the books I have.
See, what Cindy found unappealing about this one, made me sit up and take notice. The hero handcuffs the heroine. I think I have a kink factor in me 'cause I'm thinking - yummmm

C2 said...

Awww, that's so sweet!

I expect an update on the shrine, as well. ;-)

ReneeW said...

SO COOL! I'm jealous jealous jealous. Kristie is such an treasure. What a sweetie. I wish I could have been there with you girls (and Bob too). I think a shrine would be so appropriate.