Friday, March 10, 2006

Clinch Covers


RUN!!

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!

You still here? Well, all right then.

This post has been inspired by Kristie who is sick to death of clinch covers but, let's face it, we have been told they sell like hotcakes. For some reason I believe them.

The cover on the left is one from 1989 and I have always loved it. My copy is so tattered and the spine has become unglued but, I don't know if I would ever part with this book. I have bought the new one in case I feel the need to read the book again but I treasure this one. Maybe, it's because it was the first romance book I read that was grittier and darker than any I had read before.

Also, the Lindsey below is very pleasing to *my* eye. I don't find the cover overly suggestive and I like the white cover. Are these what people consider clinch covers?

So, here's my question. Have you ever noticed someone reading a clinch cover in public? I mean, I never have.

Okay, I'm clueless as a rule and won't notice a fire unless I started it but, still, you would think that I would notice other people reading romance books.

Also, it's a safe place here so spill. Do you like the clinch cover? What is it about the cover that you like? Is it immediate brand recognition?

In terms of buying romance books, I'm pretty much over what is on the cover. As long as they are partially clothed I'm okay. Other than that, I'll buy it if I want the book.

Now, I won't go near a clinch cover on a shelf. For example, if I am browsing in a bookstore I am actually repelled by those covers that remind of the 80s style books. Whether it's the memories the books conjure up or the belief that they must be poorly written, I don't even bother picking them up to look at the backcover.

Still, if someone has referred the book to me and I have decided I want it, the cover doesn't deter me BUT, someone has to have told me it's a good read.

Just as an aside, I find this Mason cover icky. This is the kind of clich I don't like. It not suggestive, it's in your face blatant what's going on!

I commented at Kristie's that I didn't mind clinch covers but I realized that I also check my book cover before I leave the house. I also have a tendency to put my book, cover down if I am in public. Strange how I don't think I care and yet, there are those moments in time that my brain does an automatic check. Eg. Called ambulance for Bob and they are on their way. I go to grab a book but I do double check the cover to make sure it isn't a clinch. Weird.

So tell me about it. If you read clinch covers in public then let me know! It's an interesting phenomenon.

The clinch sells the book, but does it enter and leave the house in a brown paper bag?

7 comments:

Bob & Muffintop said...

I bought a few cloth book covers & I keep whatever I'm reading in one of those. I toss the book into my bag & the cover helps keep it intact & clean. I always travel with coffee & I am completely unable to drink it without spilling somewhere, mostly on me or on my book.

Some of the covers are embarassing, but as you said if I want it I'll buy it no matter what.

Kristie (J) said...

Well, my thoughts are out there :) I do like the first cover - I have that book too. Good book isn't it??
The second one isn't too bad athough I would prefer she had a higher neckline but the Mason - I agree with you on that one!!!

CindyS said...

Amanda - are there clinch covers that you would find attractive. I like the two I posted - not so much on the third. My husband bought me a book carrier and I never used it. I'm horrible that way. As long as I have my book, wallet and keys, I'm good to go. Add anything else to the list and I will lose something!

Kristie, Renegade Love is the book that made me the romance addict I am. I loved that book. I haven't re-read it in years but I do wonder if it would hold up. There are at least 2 other books by Sutcliffe that I would love to re-visit but again, don't want to ruin the love!

CindyS

Bev (BB) said...

Okay, this is bugging me. Is it my imagination or did someone post one of those artistic covers recently where the couple was naked but in the exact same pose as the Edwards one above?

I'd love to be able to put them side by side for comparison because, if I'm not imagining it, I honestly don't get why one is acceptable and the other isn't.
How much more in your face can it get than them being completely naked?

Bev (BB) said...

Excuse me, that should be Mason and not Edwards.

Oye.

Don't know how I made that mistake. (VBG)

Anonymous said...

The first cover is weird. I always over analyze those types of covers - like in this one - Why is he holding her up with his elbows? If you're going to pick someone up like that, wouldn't you grab under the pits? Why is his hand closed and not touching her? The only reasonable explanation I could come up with was he was pulling up the sleeve of her dress, but that still doesn't make perfect sense.

I do notice the covers of books that other people read but that's because I want to know what they're reading. I can't say that I remember seeing someone reading something with a clinch cover, but I do see quite a lot of Nora Roberts. I also see a fair amount of contemp romance, so maybe the people I spot aren't historical readers. Or maybe they leave those at home.

I have a book cover but I think I've only ever used it once for the express purpose of hiding the cover (it was Desperado by Sandra Hill I believe). Usually I use the cover because it has pockets and I can stick extra crap in with the book. More often than not though I forget to use it. I've also been reading a lot of trade size books, so the book cover isn't an option anyway.

CindyS said...

Beverly, I would love to see the cover you're talking about!

Jay - you sweet thing ;) Pulling her dress back on.

My interpretation - he picked her up by the waist (the arm you can't see is around her waist - maybe she was coming down off a wagon ;) and then he has reached up to pull her dress *off*. I know, I know but, they are out in the middle of nowhere even though you can see the wagon over their shoulder. Passion - yum ;)

CindyS