Saturday, March 25, 2006

Favourite Settings - Or #2


I used to be strictly historicals and found contemporaries to be odd. Then again, it was 1989 and the contemporaries that were being written would have suited women from the 1950s.

JAK introduced me to contemporaries that I could read without gagging. The men were alpha but they were madly in love with their heroine and there didn't seem to be a hang-up about sex. Cool.

I pretty much stuck to this formula for a few years because of university and job searches. I'm thinking it was Dream Man by Linda Howard that brought me to contemporaries in a big way. I also remember branching out into Harlequin and Silhouette at the time and I tell you, there were some amazing books on just two people falling in love. Or hurting each other. Or both. I found many authors but, the top was Suzanne Brockmann. There was something about her heroes that were so desperate and vulnerable that I was thrilled whenever I saw a new title by her.

Nowadays, it really depends on what I am looking for. I'm not sure I can do the small town romances in contemporaries anymore although I try to think 'never say never'. I enjoy contemps set in big cities. I *love* paranormals because they give a more gothic look to cities and I like that.

I can't do books set in France. Not sure why, they just bother me. It might be the names and the quazi-french accent. Oh, and Florida. I equate Florida to old age and I don't find swamps sexy. Then there is the fact that whenever I have gone there I have run into those huge reptiles - crocs, alligators, whatever. I just couldn't live in a place where I could get my leg snapped off because I nodded off in the backyard.

And y'all know I like my sleep.

Anyone else catching the pattern here? It's going to take me weeks to answer these questions!

4 comments:

Samantha said...

Is it just FL that you don't like reading romances in or is it the south? I love romances set in the south and I'm all for small town romance novels. That could be because I grew up in a small town though. Anyway, I don't see romances set in FL too often. I think I've only read one and it was set in the Keys. I liked the Keys setting but I don't think I'd like a main land FL setting, because whenever I think of FL I think Disney World or Sea World. And yeah, old people too.

CindyS said...

Oh, good question. I think I do enjoy books set in the south for the most part. Horrible to say but I just remembered I don't really like books set in New Orleans - now it would be worse but before there was always the idea of voodoo - remember the movie Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil - didn't like the feel of the movie.

I enjoy the sweltering hot days that are described in the south and the different lifestyle so yeah, it's must Fl and New Orleans for the most part.

CindyS

ag said...

Hey Cindy,

What about historicals in another European country? Like Russia?

And what about Chicago and NY of yore? I'm trying to find a good western or more set in the civil war.

As a teenager, I loved the Anne of Green Gables series. I liked the pioneering spirit of the islanders, and the small town feel of it, even though this is not a romance novel.

Hmmm ... I'm beginning tosound like a serial lover.

CindyS said...

Ag - I've never read a historical romance in Russia. Can you recommend any?

Heather Graham Possesse (sp?) used to have a series of Civil War books but they are older and I don't know if they have aged well.

Oh! I read a Lowell book called Only Him I think and it was definitely western - I enjoyed it although it has those melodramatic moments that some people don't like. Me? I like ;)

Have you read Ride the Fire by Pamela Clare - not Civil War but excellent.