Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Time Travels / Ghosts / Witches


What genre do you dislike the most? What is it that grates?

I think I have a few but Time Travels can make me crazy. The very first one I ever read was Jude Deveraux's A Knight in Shining Armor and what a friggin' tear jerker. I've never re-read the book because I couldn't handle the way it ended. Not only that, even while reading it I was frustrated by the characters so I knew they wouldn't survive a second re-read.

Having seen the movie Terminator I knew what I needed in time-travels and one of those things is a reason that it is happening. Not only that, but there has to be repercussions in real-time. Sandy Blair's time travel, , ended happily but, the characters left in real time were not affected by the fact that the heroine traveled through time and negated the reason for certain people to be where they were. Continuity is so important to me that my brain won't accept solutions that are sometimes hap-hazardly offered up.

An excellent time travel is a Loveswept by Suzanne Brockmann called Time Enough for Love. The hero travels back in time to get the woman he loves to meet himself in her time and stop him from creating a time machine. Confusing? Not if you understand what time travel could do! It was awesome to see the heroine fall in love with the hero for the first half and then to meet his younger self and then fall in love with him. It was an amazing story and I don't want to ruin it for anyone that wants to track it down. Let's just say that the ending completely worked and there were no loose ends. That's what's needed in a time travel.

For the most part, time travel stories end badly for the romantic in me. Even so, I have The Time Traveler's Wife in my TBR pile that I eventually want to read and yet, I'm dragging my heels.

Next up, ghosts. I think I have heard of one story where the hero is a ghost and I'm thinking, 'can't possibly be enough nookie to keep me interested'.

What? You act like you don't know I'm shallow.

Even so, Sandy Blair's time travel up above had something to do with a ghost but he was only a ghost for a short time. Damn, now all I need is for the heroine of the book to be a witch.

And finally, witches. Not magic witches because that would be cool. I'm talking those weird ones with the amulets and funky, artistic ways of dressing. I think in the mid 90's there must have been a glut of these kind of heroines because I so much as see the words 'crystal ball' and I'm outa there!! And, I was a teen in the 80's. Possibly the worst decade of fashion ever and the idea of anyone actually thinking they look good in the 80's garb makes me leery! In my head, those wacky wiccans look like Cindi Lauper or the red headed chick from those Sweet Sixteen movies where she always wore clothes 'out of the norm'. Yetch.

Oh and faeries. *shudder*

All this to tell you that my favorite genre is paranormal!

Only, I don't consider TT, witches, ghosts or faeries to be paranormal. They should get their own genre. Give me a vampire, ESP, werewolf, space alien over any of the above and I'm pretty much in.

So seriously. How many more of these questions do you really want me to answer?

3 comments:

Kristie (J) said...

All of them Cindy, all of them *grin* . I've read some pretty good TT's. It's too early in the am to look them up - have to get ready for work soon - these 7:00 am start times are killers, but I will and I'll give you some rec's if you want to try another one. And FWIW, KISA is a bad example of the genre I think

Rosario said...

I don't like time-travels either, mostly because all that about how this would affect that, and if they do this, then this will happen in the future and so and so wouldn't be born... well, it makes my head hurt!

I've liked a couple of TTs, though... the Brockmann would be one of them (even though it DID cause a headache!)

sybil said...

I like Cindi Lauper even saw her with cher a few years back.

so there ;)

I just remembered I still need to answer these... I will if you do. hee