Friday, March 17, 2006

Romance Book Week Pt 2

Hey, a week is like 7 days so I better be on my toes. These questions are more to poke fun at the genre we love and maybe expose some of those skeletons that we shove deep, deep, deep into the closet. Again, safe place to rant, rave and in general toss your cookies. Answers are again welcome in the comments or take them on back to your blog and add-on.

Anyone want to start placing bets on when exactly I will run out of questions? Psst, 7 days!! I'm out of my mind!!

This one is going to separate the women from the girls people. We all have 'em, let's just see if we can admit to it.

1. What romance book do you secretly love? I mean in the Brokeback Mountain kind of love. The kind of love you don't want to admit to anyone because you have seen those who came forward with their love and had their innards spilled all over the internet. Yeah, you know which book it is. In my case, I think there are about 20. Feel free to admit to as many as you can stomach without needing to slam that closet door closed.

2. Name a hero that had you at 'Hello'. I'm talking a no good somovabitch that you would normally throw not one, but twelve frying pans at his head if you met him in person. Still, you believe with the love of a good woman (*cough* you *cough*) he could be saved.

3. Name your favorite 80s bodice ripper. C'mon, we all have a favorite even if we did want to take a bat to both the hero and the heroine because in the end, you finished the book and thought, 'well, fuck 'em, they deserve each other'! Hey, if you're feeling the need to repent, feel free to list more than one. I'm going to need the company ;)

4. What kind of heroine do you wish could be eradicated from the earth? Okay, we all hate the wimpy ones but I'm talking about those ones who use crystals and beads and wear bright clothes and claim to have Wiccan tendencies. Whoops! That's more for me. I for one would love to read about a librarian who has a loud voice and can't help it, who laughs too loud and is sexy as hell. So I guess I'm talking about a character type that you hate - you see even a hint of it on the back cover and you drop the book like it burns.

5. Okay, this one isn't for the weak at heart and some of you may chose to ignore it and I'm totally okay with it. Ready? Forced Seduction. No, no, it's okay, we're safe here. Can you name a book or scene that you loved even though you know in real life you'd be telling the guy in a real dangerous voice that if he didn't move his hand pronto his ballcourt was going to take a beating.

To be the first on 5 many of Katherine Sutcliffe's books have scenes where the hero has the heroine up against the wall (wait, I need a minute ... *sigh*) and there is a battle of wills, not so much against each other as much as a battle of will within the hero. So I'm not sure I'm talking forced seduction because usually these scenes do not end up in the characters having sex. There's a sexy desperation that is very appealing for me as a reader.

To expand, I just watched Walk the Line last night and I don't want to ruin it for those who haven't seen it so I'm going to white it out and if you want to read it you click and hold the left mouse button and move the mouse over the empty area below to have the words show up.

Cash and June are on the stage and he has been asking her to marry him forever and she keeps saying no. Suddenly in the middle of the song Cash just stops and asks her to marry him. June keeps saying, let's finish the song, the people are here to hear us sing and Cash isn't stopping and says that June needs to find another way of answering his question. Now, there was no wall there but it had the exact same effect. Cash is there with his heart hanging out where everyone can see and Carter has been here before and doesn't know if she can trust again. It was such a powerful scene and even though there is a conflict between them, there are also conflicts within themselves that they have to fight through in that moment.

Oh, and Joaquin Phoenix was so very robbed of an Oscar. I totally believed he was Cash and this man's facial expressions say more than his words. Phenomenal!

There we go, five more questions to make you brain hurt. Again, I have a feeling this is going to feel more like a final exam for me and I'm going to be cramming for the next few days. The good news is I get to sit in my book room and look over all my books because I have a horrible memory.

I mean, what a sore way to have to spend a day!

10 comments:

Kristie (J) said...

I'll answer further, but last night Blogger was down for me and I went to bed at 9:00 anyway - tired from night before and now I'm at work so I can't give it my full attention - but great questions and I will be back!

Anonymous said...

Okay, you're gonna make my head explode, thinking about this stuff. But they are really good questions :) I've printed the list and will post tomorrow.

Bev (BB) said...

I gotta tell this gang that I have a real love/hate thing going on with these memes but am going to try to get these for "Romance Book Week" done. Eventually. What with real life and "other" blogging committments, it may take me weeks but I'm saving them into my blogger drafts and hopefully I'll actually get to them. Good questions, though, and I have no idea what some of the answers are going to be for me.

CindyS said...

Ooops, remember this is for fun so no pressure. I'm having fun coming up with the questions and if I think too hard about the answers I realize I'll probably have blog material for a year. I'm a nut.

CindyS

Suisan said...

Wait a blinking minute--I'm still working on the first set of questions.

I'll never catch up!

Trying to gather the correct quote and think deeply about what makes me crazy (which somehow is making me crazy). Mutter, mutter, mutter.

In the meantime, come over and read my bathtub letter.

ReneeW said...

Hold on.. I haven't finished the first set. :) My blog has been down last night and this morning and now I'm busy at work. Lots of excuses. Oh, and the dog...er, cat ate my homework. Great questions! I'm looking forward to tackling this at home tonight.

Kristie (J) said...

I have'nt finished the first set either - You're moving to fast for us Cindy :)

Anonymous said...

I've answered one question...the others will probably come later.

ag said...

Ok, here's a run down of my thoughts:
Eamples of books that represent the best of the romance genre:
Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen
By arrangement by Madeline Hunter
The Indiscretion by Judith Ivory
Worth Any Price by Lisa Kleypas

1. Romance book I secretly love?
A Woman of Passion and Enslaved by Virginia Henley.

2. Name a hero that had you at 'Hello'.
Haven't met him yet. But James Bond came very close to claiming this title.

3. Name your favorite 80s bodice ripper.Virginia Henley's Enslaved.

4. Heroine to be eradicated from the earth: the doormat who fails to grow a spine.

5. Forced Seduction.
It's going to be Enslaved again.

I elaborated on all your questions in this post.

Hop over when you can.

Megan Frampton said...

I am going to do a big post answering this thing, eventually. I started it, have to finish it up and try not to sound like a ninny.