Thursday, August 10, 2006

Angels in the Outfield

I'm sure there was a movie with this name but I wanted to dedicate this post to two special people.

I won't say their names because I certainly never asked, I was too busy apologizing profusely.

Today the man I hit with my car called with the amount of money he would need to fix his motorcycle. It was 700 dollars which I consider very cheap for the mistake I made.

I was nervous going to his house tonight and Bob being my own angel asked if I would prefer he do it. I know better than that and said that it was my fault and I wasn't going to run from this because I was afraid.

His wife was on the front porch when we got there and I was definitely shaking. As I approached she was on the cell phone and quickly got off. I told her who I was and she stood to give me a hug.

No, for real!

She asked me to sit with her and I told her how very sorry I was for what happened and how grateful I was that her husband was not hurt. She was so gracious and said she had worried about me and how I must have been so scared. Seriously, I could not believe how wonderful these people were!

The husband came out and I asked how he was doing. He said he was okay and I could tell he was flustered by all the attention coming his way. I told him not to give up his passion because of what happened. That he had done nothing wrong and that he shouldn't be afraid to get on the bike again.

I could see tears welling in his eyes so I started to back up to give him room.

His wife hugs me again and tells me to try and get a good nights sleep because she was sure I didn't sleep much last night. I told her that a part of me wished that her husband had got off his bike and yelled at me. Maybe that would make me feel better!

These people are the kind of people I know come here to visit each day.

My husband did not get out of the car because he knew I wanted to do this on my own. He had been about to tell me a story about a 'biker' and I knew it was going to be one of his 'you can't trust people' stories. We were interrupted when we got there and once we were on our way again. I told him about how wonderful and forgiving the people were. I then asked about the story he was telling me and he smiled and said 'Oh, it was nothing.'

So if you are having a bad day, or you are dealing with people who are trying to screw you remember that there really are people out there that know what it's like to be on the wrong end of a situation. The wife said that everyone makes mistakes and even though I know this I think I will have dreams on and off for the rest of my life of a motorcycle crossing in front of me and not being able to stop my car in time.

For me the silver lining is that I didn't hurt anyone and I managed to get in the car and drive today. Sure I was hyper alert but maybe that's where I need to be right now.

I do believe in God but I'm not looking to convert anyone. Just wanted to say that I know my angel Gramma Grace was with me and that he obviously had an angel riding with him. So yeah, by the Grace of God.

I will commence regular blogging subjects tomorrow night. I just needed to let you all know that every thing is fine and that the man is still okay today. No really. I was worried about him because of his age.

I'm going to go and do some blog hopping and I want to do the meme that Rosario has up at her blog. I'm also going to sit and do Samantha's contest to the best of my ability. Hopefully, I can get back to being my weird wacky self in the next post. On that note, I am still in the beginning stages of Hunting the Hunter and I reached a spot and thought, hmmm, good time for a nap. Obviously I hadn't slept very well last night.

I always think it's a bad sign if I would rather sleep than read. I'll let you know.

8 comments:

Kristie (J) said...

Cindy: I'm so glad that everyone went so well, first off that it wasn't much money, but then more so they were such wonderful and compassionat people. That they would be so concerned about how you were feeling really is inspiring. And kudo's to you for getting back in that car!

CindyS said...

Thanks Kristie!! I am truly blessed and these last two days have driven that home! I can see you are either up real early or haven't slept. I hope that you are getting a few hours here and there of rest. I'm thinking of you often.

Cindy

~ames~ said...

I'm sorry you got into an accident, but I'm glad everything turned out okay. My father was almost side-swiped while on his motorcycle-he sold his bike after that.

Dev said...

Cindy ~ What a great story. These people sound like such caring, compassionate folks ~ I mean, WOW. I would have been like you ~ expecting the absolute worse. They're great reminders that there is still such a thing as humanity in the world.

dancechica said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the accident (motorcycles always scare me on the road), but I'm glad to hear everything worked out okay and that no one was hurt. I'm one of those cynical people that's always expecting the worse from people so when I hear stories like this about kind hearted people, it really is inspiring. :)

ReneeW said...

Oh, Cindy, that story brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing. It's wonderful to be reminded that there are such nice caring people in the world. I think you do have an angel sitting on your shoulder :)

Holly said...

I'm still teary eyed from reading that. What amazing people. And how blessed you both were!

God's Grace is indeed amazing.

BIG HUGS!

CindyS said...

Thanks everyone! I was worried that posting about this might be touchy. I'm not as good at relating serious stuff as I am at goofing off.

I like clowning around even so, I can appreciate the seriousness of situations and I'm still stunned at kindness these people showed me. Makes me a little teary but, onwards and upwards! Let's do a book post!

Cindy