Tuesday, August 08, 2006

By The Grace Of God

I just came home from practically T-boning a motorcyclist.

It was completely my fault as the light my way was red.

I was so blessed that I was able to slam on my breaks and only clip the back end of his motorcycle. I was upset enough when I saw him take off his helmet and it was a man in his late 60s easily. Then I started worrying about how badly I had scared him and if he would have a heart attack.

I think both of us were in shock. I asked if he wanted to call the police and he said no, that he figured the repairs would be around 1500 dollars. I told him I was more concerned about him than his bike.

I gave him all my information and he will call me tomorrow with the estimate.

I am just now starting to have the physical reaction. I was surprised that neither of us were hysterical and I wondered where all that pent up fear was.

Yeah, my tummy is starting now but I think it's been close to 20 minutes since I hit him. Now, I'm afraid to drive because I can't remember for the life of me what I was thinking and why my brain didn't see the red light.

The other thing that was shocking was that no one who saw what happened stopped to help him or I. No one pulled over and said, I saw what happened and I've called the police or anything. It was surreal for sure.

I'm waiting for Bob to get home and then I'll have to start telling someone. I'm not looking forward to that part but, I am so grateful that I didn't kill this poor man!

Okay, I'm going to go and quietly freak out for a bit.

10 comments:

Rosario said...

OMG, Cindy, that must have been so scary... for both of you! I'm so glad nothing happened to him! [[Hugs]]

Holly said...

OMG! Cindy, how horrible! I'm glad that you're both alright, but how scary!

(((HUGS)))

I hope you're ok AFTER the shock wears off!

Dev said...

What a horrible thing to go through. I'm glad you're both okay.

CindyS said...

Rosario, Holly and Devonna - thanks for the support. I was a little messed up tonight but Bob was so good about it.

I just feel so stupid and now I'm second guessing my actions. Was I too tired to be behind the wheel? Where was my brain?

I know I have to get back in the car so I'll go out tomorrow but I'm hoping I will be hyper aware without being sloppy. I really am a capable driver and have never been in an accident until today (almost 20 years) but I am so grateful that he wasn't hurt.

I told Bob that 1500 bucks is nothing to me as long as I know that I didn't hurt anyone. Now I just have to wait until tomorrow to see what the estimate will be. He seemed like a good, honest man and he was kind to me and said that he himself had driven through a red light before. Still, not something I want to dwell on. I'm a little afraid of the dreams I may have tonight.

CindyS

ReneeW said...

Oh, ((((Cindy)))), I'm so glad you both are OK! Just reading that made my heart drop to my toes. Take a deep breath and try not to freak out. I ran a red light once early on a Sunday morning. Thank God there was no one in the intersection. It made me so much more careful after that.

Hope this comment goes through, blogger ate the last one. :)

CindyS said...

Renee - yeah, I'm more worried about getting in the car again tomorrow. Weird but I suddenly understand that whole 'getting back on the horse' thing again.

Hopefully I'll hear from him today and the financial price won't be too bad.

I opened a Wordpress account and got stumped immediately. Blogger is definitely, uh, stupid friendly whereas I think you need to wing it on WP.

Cindy

Kristie (J) said...

Oh Cindy - I missed this earlier. How scary for you both. I'm so glad he wasn't hurt. And it is important that you get back in the car even though I know it will be tough. It's so easy to let that kind of fear take over us so you musn't let that happen. And I was glad Bob was so good about it. That's a big thing too - telling husbands.

And I have two wordpress blogs started but don't have a clue how to get into them. The keep rejecting my password so frustrating as it can be sometimes - I'm sticking with good ole blogger too.

Samantha said...

damn, blogger just ate my comment. I hate when that happens.

I'm glad you and the other guy are alright. Car wrecks are scary. They should make some kind of reverse air bag or something. One that goes on the outside of the car and detects when you're about to collide with something.

Tara Marie said...

Cindy, how scary, I missed this yesterday. My husband was hit on his motorcycle once, thank God for his helmut, leather jacket and steel toed boots.

CindyS said...

Kristie - I almost feel guilty when I say it was scary. I mean, imagine how he felt!!

I'm also going to stay with blogger for now because it really is user friendly when its working right.

Samantha - reverse airbags sound like a great idea but on the funny side could you imagine coming 'this close' to hitting someone only to have the airbag go off and send them flying! Sorry I'm thinking of the poor biker and the look on his face as he hurtles through the air.

Tara Marie - OMG!! I always wonder about people who can ride motor bikes - I learned my fear well ;) I'm glad that your husband is all right and that he is safety conscious. Good man!

Cindy