Sunday, August 20, 2006

The Movies

I just now finished watching Something New with Sanaa Lathan and Simon Baker and it was just what I needed. A great romance with a little heat. Yum. Basically a women who has lived her life to please her parents, her friends and society meets a man who is easy going, down to earth and most of all, sees the real her. Might seem like every other movie except that race is a huge factor in this story as the heroine is black and the hero is white. Let's just say that I had my eyes opened on a few things but, I loved the chemistry between these two actors.

Bob and I watched RV with my main man Robin Williams tonight and I was laughing throughout but then, I love Mr. Williams. It was a fun movie where you knew where every thing was heavy but there were a few new jokes along the way. We popped plain microwave popcorn, melted some real butter and poured it on. Wow. Felt like a night at the movies without having to dodge others with cellphones and anything else that makes weird noises.

True story - when my friend and I went to see Lethal Weapon 4 - can you believe they went to four? - there was a man who was probably mentally ill. In fact, I would have preferred it if he was mentally ill because then at least I know he really did have a good time.

We knew the minute the previews started that we were all in for a bad night. This guy's laugh overshadowed the films volume. I'm not exaggerating. Not only that, he was alone but he would repeat the 'joke' on the film to the audience at large. He would also yell out things like 'look out! He's behind you!' and all of that. It's not exactly how I like to experience a movie but sometimes you are really rolling the dice.

Also, nowadays Bob and I go to matinees because usually there are not as many people and since I'm not good in crowds that always seems to be the best. Still there are movies we will go to and I am shocked that people are bringing children. War of the Worlds was gritty and dark and creepy and yet there were 8 year olds every where.

Other movies I rented were Nine Lives which seriously, I don't know why I do it to myself. I saw the cover flat for the movie, I read the first line of the blurb and saw that it was dealing with the lives of nine women.

I don't know, I'm just a putz.

Anyways, it's really nine 'shorts' about different women. I really liked one of them because it was kinda sexy - actually two of them. I'm not really sure what the rest were really about. Wait, I figured out what the second one was about and the last one was obvious so I understood 4 of the 9. This just proves to me that I'm not a slice of life person. I need a beginning, a middle and an end. You know what else, closure. Still I managed to find a glowing review for you here and they explain the vignettes (I got all that but still) except the one that I really liked. *shrug*

What else. Oh! I was blocking it from my memory but I rented Edison Force with LL Cool J, Morgan Freeman (oscar winner), Kevin Spacey (oscar winner) and Justin Timberlake. These four actors showed up and spewed their lines and I'm not sure how JT and LLCJ got some of their overly sappy shit out but they did and I just about turned off the movie but I thought that it just had to get better. NOT! Dylan McDermott (uh, this guy with a beard 'rocks my socks')who was not billed in the movie (you know how they put the actor's names on the billboard) was in this movie as one of the out of control bad guys and it was obvious he was the only guy who showed up and wanted the job. Sure, his part sucked donkey balls but he was there and he was willing to scruff up and emote the hell out of his lines.

I went and checked the copyright on the movie because I thought maybe I was harshing on the Oscar winners and it was a roll from years ago. Nope. They weren't paid enough to make this piece of crap.

Brings me to my last rental Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. It was just excellent even though some of the actresses were acting like they always act (Alexis Bledel) whereas America Ferrera was a joy to watch. I got teared up a few times but then maybe it's because I'm fighting some sort of funk. Either that, or it was just that moving. Thing is, these kind of movies make me wish I had had friendships like this when I was younger. Ah well.

So there you have it. Way too much TV and not enough just sitting around and reading.

I'm thinking people may be right. That I'm in a summerblah zone but since this is my favourite time of year you can colour me confused. I think it may have more to do with my not swimming as much as I usually do because Bob doesn't want me swimming alone at night (deep end). I used to swim at 3am at the old house because the pool was 4' deep everywhere so I could always stand up. I'm not afraid because I am a good swimmer but I respect Bob's wish that I not do it.

I miss floating on my back and looking up at the stars.

Nothing like star gazing to get yourself grounded again.

6 comments:

Dev said...

I'm not good in crowds either, Cindy. If I go to a movie, it's either the very first matinee of the day ~ or the last showing of the night. The only exception to this are the "big" movies that everyone want to go to. On those, I'll usually wait at least a few weeks before I go see them.

Something New sounds really good. I saw the previews on it when it first came out and thought it looked interesting. The next time I hit Blockbuster's, I'm hoping to get it.

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants I bought for my niece. It was cute. I like America Ferrera. Did you see she's starring in a new series this fall ~ Ugly Betty?

Your story about Lethal Weapon 4 reminded me of when I chaperoned my niece's first date. We went to The Pacifier. Ok, I wasn't going to be a complete wet blanket and sit with them, but I sure didn't want to sit with his dad directly behind them ~ so I went up a few rows and ended up sitting by this kid. Well, this kid ~ every time he found something humorous, he'd repeat the line and then start laughing. Needless to say, kids like The Pacifier. So, guess how much time I spent in the movie listening to this kid repeat lines?

meljean brook said...

Ugh. The only movie I've walked out on was EVENT HORIZON (a space/horror thriller) -- not because of the movie, but because someone brought their 3-year-old, and I couldn't handle it.

Dylan McDermott -- *big yummy sigh*

CindyS said...

Devonna - yay!! Another crowd hater. I have seen the countdown for New Years on the TV in Times Square in New York and that is the last place I would ever be!!

I had to rent Something New from my cable company because my Blockbuster didn't 'buy' this one for renting. They sell it to own but not for rent. Dumbasses.

The Pacifier - classic. Not only are you there to chaperone, you have to listen to the kid beside you. Nothing says love like the torture us Aunts go through!

Meljean - my brother warned me not to see that movie because it was so gory. I can't really see horror flicks but where the hell were the movie managers who let a dumbass parent take their 3 yr. old into the move!?

Yeah, don't tell Megan but I think Clive Owen is a poor mans Dylan McDermott - purrrrrrr.

CindyS

Kristie (J) said...

I've seen other bloggers recommend Something New and I really want to see it! I LOVED Simon Baker in The Guardian!!! Does it have the mandatory for me to see it HEA?

CindyS said...

Kristie - you know it!!

CindyS

Anonymous said...

I put Something New in my Netflix queue after crankyreader posted about it. [Never got the Simon Baker squeeing back when he was on TV, but that has changed now that I've seen this movie.] Enjoyed it a lot.

I tend to go to matinees too, Cindy. I don't have the patience for crowds or the crowd noise...plus, most of the theaters near me are attached to a mall. It is easier to get in and out relatively early, than to go in the evening and struggle with parking, traffic, hordes of people.