Tuesday, August 08, 2006

In Other News

I'm struggling with this post. I can't figure out how to say 'I don't have a passion'.

Okay, there it is.

My husband looked at me when I said this and said, 'Uh, books? Duh.'

I gave him the look.

I had been flipping through a book called A Room of Her Own for inspiration in decorating. Turns out it's not a decorating book but it looked like one on the outside. Also, I found everything very earthy and almost too crafty. I didn't read about the women because I was looking at the room itself but I soon realized this was a book about 'creative' women. There is always something too weird about these people and for some reason today it struck me wrong.

There is one room in the book that has a miniature globe and a wooden compass and I love them - Bob says go look on Ebay - takes half the fun out of searching but okay - and it suddenly strikes me that I have no passion for objects or art or fabric.

All right. I always knew I didn't have a hobby like other people. I read, watch TV, swim and eat. Other than that, things are a chore - I like decorating but have definitely fallen away from that. Probably with the flipping of 2 houses, moving house and having a 3rd on tap I've burned myself out. Let's hope it comes back.

Even so, I don't really have anything I am passionate about. Half the time I will see something I like but will hesitate to buy it because maybe I really don't like it.

Oh yeah, I'm a piece.

I get really out of sorts if Bob says he loves the art, chandelier, brick-a-brack I'm looking at. Then I'm back peddling and wondering if I like it or if I am compromising. Others see something and fall in love. I'm more likely to look at something and think it's not as hideous as everything else. Man, I sound awful!!

Let's not even get started on actually doing things.

I have built a bookcase and it was gorgeous but I feel no need to do it again. Doing it again would almost be boring because I already figured out how to build one, why would I do the exact same thing again? I've also built a quilt rack which people have said, hey will you build me one? Uh, no. I already built one.

I tried working in the business world and I was struck mute at the stupidity that surrounded me.

Uh, true. If I had been struck mute I would still be working but since I'm very vocal about boredom and how people shouldn't promise stuff they can't deliver well, I don't work. Bob was telling me the other night about when he was contracting and this guy stiffed him. The guy had written up a contract that said the new windows he was to install would match the windows he had had replaced a few years back. Sure enough the windows are put in but the guy is all, 'they don't match, they are not exactly the same colour' - just in case, if you have something for a few years, the colour starts to fade or dirt or grim or stuff. Anyways, it was clear this guy knew this but just wanted everything for free. Yeah, Bob and his partner walked and lost money.

Now, me? I would have apologized profusely and insisted that the windows be removed instantly. Then I would have loaded up the windows and looked the guy square in the eye and said 'good luck asshole' and drove off the site.

Okay, truth be told I said to Bob that I wouldn't have said anything and just taken my hammer and broken all the windows before driving off site.

That was my gut reaction.

I think Karma thanks me in little ways for not inflicting myself on others. Sure I don't have a job but I'm not getting arrested either. Plus, plus.

Still I have those bad days where I let my brain play and I don't block the negative stuff that tries to creep in. Bob used to say that I had plenty of time to find my passion. I just realized he doesn't say that anymore.

Crap. Now, I feel all cruddy.

Time to turn on the TV and veg!

So what about you guys? I know we all love our books but are they any other things you are passionate about? Do you have other hobbies?

Is playing on the internet a hobby?

Geez, I hope so! On that note, I think I'll go search Ebay and Chapters. Might be time to spend some money. Oh look! Another hobby! If only I could convince other people to let me spend their money - life would be grand.

Ah, you ready for this? I've always liked maps and compasses (but worried that it was fad like) and now I'm thinking it equates to my search for myself.

Yeah, I just threw up a little too.

5 comments:

Dev said...

Hobbies besides books? That's a tough one.

I love to cook and I collect cookbooks.

I love to travel, but don't have the money to do that very often.

I tried gardening once, but that didn't work out. Seriously ~ plastic plants shrivel up and die when they see me coming.

Genealogy ~ I do get immersed in my research when I do it. But, I haven't looked at my info in about a year.

So, yeah, I guess my most consistent hobby would be my books.

dancechica said...

Well, besides reading I like to dance. Started ballet and stuff when I was three. Now I belly dance.

This may sound dorky, but I write to pen pals as well. It's a hobby I've had for eight years and last year I got to meet two pals I'd been writing to for 6-7 six years. I met them in Italy. It was awesome!

I love to travel but I don't get to do so much, unfortunately.

I collect: postcards, stamps and coins.

I also like to do creative stuff like make pillows, stuffed animals, PJs, turn pants into skirts, latch hook, etc.

I am such a dork! LOL.

Holly said...

Nope, I'm not passionate about anything other than books, either. Well, except maybe emailing with my friends (how sad is it that I get UBER excited when I see a new email pop up??) and blog hopping. *sigh*

*
*
*
*
*

Yeah, still can't think of anything...

I think playing on the internet can be considered a hobby. Especially if you do it as much as I do.

~ames~ said...

Shopping for books-that has to count right? LOL I spend so much time browsing shelves in thrift stores. It's very time consuming.

Other hobbies used to be sketching. Unfortunately, I haven't picked up a pencil in forever. The "oomph" is gone from creating something beautiful.

Spending money is definitely a hobby though. :P

CindyS said...

Devonna - can I borrow some of your hobbies ;) My consistent hobby is definitely books. Mad, sad, happy, scared - I can always get level again with a good book.

Dance Chica - I think it's awesome to have so many passions and I think corresponding with people is a great one - that's why I like to blog!

Holly - Phew!! I was getting scared there for a minute that I was the only nut in the place ;) If only surfing on the internet was a paid gig - I'd be rich!

Ames - I'm actually a happier shopper when I am by myself. I don't feel like I have to rush or get it done. It very rare that I enjoy shopping but when I'm in the zone, I never want to leave the store! I hope your passion for sketching comes back to you. Tonight I have had visions of design zapping through my brain so I'm hoping the block I had is melting!

CindyS