Monday, August 21, 2006

Rules?

We used to have a rule in our house that our dogs were not allowed on the furniture because, well, they are the size of ponies.

Rocky could have cared less because he was all about his bed. I swear it was like a comfort blanky to him because I would have to time when I would throw it in the washer and dryer. Then I would go to bring it in to his room and he would stumble all over me trying to get on it.

Cody, on the other hand, loves him some sofa.

In the last house we had to put barriers up so they couldn't get to the furniture - mostly because Cody also loves to eat cushions. We had a couch with four throw pillows on it and we left the dogs out and about for a few weeks and were happy to see they had gotten over their need to chew the stuffing out of comfort furniture.

Then we came home and only had three pillows.

The throwing up and material lace poop was enough to have me dictate orders to find a way to keep the dogs from eating furniture. Thus, the use of french doors on their sides. Basically I could get a great leg workout every time I decided to watch some TV.

We move and tada!! we have a basement with three matching pieces of furniture that the old owners couldn't get out. Ohhhh-kay. I'm thinking this is a recipe for disaster but Bob thinks nothing of it and it's the basement and really, I don't care as long as I'm not having to pick up any of the stuff I mentioned above.

Cody becomes a couch potato.

What's funny is he knows he's not supposed to be on the furniture so when he got caught he would get this real sheepish look on his face.

Since Rocky passed Cody has become more of a 24/7 dog who is attached at my hip and I'm loving it. So now, he sleeps in our den when I go to bed because I'm sorry, there will be no dogs in my bed. Ever. It's bad enough I have cats that stretch length wise across the bed so that I can barely cling to the edge because 'God forbid' we move them. (Yeah, Bob will crawl into bed from the opposite side so he won't disturb the cute little darlings) Me, I'm more of a fend for yourself kinda girl but I come by it honestly. Let's just say I would be super pissed to come to bed to find my husband, two cats and an 85 pound dog blocking my way. I have told Bob that if he wants the dog to sleep in bed then we're getting separate bedrooms.

So far, he must love me more.

I'm thinking it's only a matter of time before there is a coup.

I went for a nap late last night and woke at 2am only to come downstairs and find proof of a puppy's deep dark secret.

I managed to climb over the kiddie gate (Cody will also make himself sick by eating all the dry catfood so he gets hemmed in while I'm sleeping) get the camera, snap 8 pictures of him, climb back over the gate because I didn't want to give him a heart attack at finding me 'catching' him in a no-no place and then went to the kitchen to make some obvious noise.

What's funny is that he was still trying to get off the chair when I came back to the room and he had his 'oh shit' face on.

I don't know about you but seeing his one leg still on the floor steadying himself while he slept is just classic.

To this day he still wishes he were a lap dog.

5 comments:

Bev (BB) said...

You and your animals are almost as bad as us and ours. Over the years we've had a bunch and have almost more funny stories about them than about our children. Run aren't they? ;D

Mailyn said...

LOL!!! OMG my lab LOVES the bed. I only let him on it when he eats his bed because then I have to buy him a new one but he needs to sleep somewhere that night! My lab loves to eat stuff. Especially plastic. He loooooves anything plastic. Next to that it's beds and he ate my matress as well. Ugh. LOL.

That picture is adorable!!! And man, you need a bigger bed so Cody can sleep on it as well. That's like doggie discrimination!

Suisan said...

My Aussie discovered one of my armchairs.

He would get into it and curl up into the tightest ball--tip of nose just over the lip of the front cushion, not a leg in sight.

But then when he tried to get off of it in a hurry he would get stuck, because he had crammed himself in there so tight. ANd he definitely had his "oh Shit!" face on the entire time. Very funny.

Dev said...

Oh, that's funny. I love their personalities. Unfortunately because of my lease I can't have pets, but I sure wish I could.

Poor Cody ~ how could he possibly sleep like that?! :-)

Bev (BB) said...

Run? Where the heck did that come from? That was supposed to be "fun, aren't they?"

Oye.