Thursday, August 31, 2006

First Real Reno At OUR House

Our new (old) house needs a ton of work and for a while there I wasn't so sure where we were going to start.

Then Bob gutted the mainfloor bathroom.

Okay, then, bathroom it is.

Before shots? Good thing I took them the first time he threatened to gut the bathroom or there wouldn't be any!

Yep, Barbie's bathroom.

Now, my cousin's boyfriend is about 130 pounds soaking wet and he came up to me at one point and said 'Wow, tiny bathroom, eh?'

That's the door I'm standing in so there is maybe 2' of floor space. Still, nothing like Pepto Bismol pink and funky snot coloured green to make a bathroom feel all luxious and cozy.

Blergh.

So, Bob and I had been looking (and looking and good God, are we still looking?) for those vanities that look like old dressers and such that are really hot right now. Problem is we have limited space and that's only the first problem. After that, it's the clash of that 'tastes' that has one squeeeeing and one vomitting.

Now, there is always a certain point where I get worn down enough that I just give so that I don't have to go to one more store looking for the holy grail of chandeliers or bedding or pillows or anything that Bob has decided he has an interest in and yes, I know I'm lucky but there are days that his crazy ass 80s and retro 50s shit makes me nutty.

Oooops. Let's see if I can get back on point.

So there we are once again going from Homesense to Homesense (like a home wares (funiture/cookware/art/bedding wholesaler but not wholesale, just good prices) when I spot this dresser in a tiny store front window. I tell Bob to pull over which I never do because, well, I'm lazy and the less I have to get in and out of a vehicle the happier I am. Yes, I know it's sad but I'm just being honest and let's face it, if Bob has to deal with me going 'nope, not getting out of the car, I'll sit and read' then you can all still love my lazy ways too.

So, store front and dresser. Turns out we didn't buy the dresser in the window because it was too mod but we did finally agree on a dresser and it was the perfect size.

Also, the fact that the legs are up higher will give the illusion that the floor space in the bathroom is bigger.

To the right is a picture showing that all the drawers opened when we bought it.

The top two drawers are now only the fronts screwed into place. The second drawer will be able to open but have a cut out around the plumbing. The two bottom drawers will be the hardest because neither drawer is big enough to hold toilet paper so we will be cutting out the bottom of the third drawer and then connecting it to the bottom drawer so that it can store toilet paper and such.

And here is our midway point.

So now we are on the new search for the perfect faucet which I have said has to come out of the wall while Bob thinks putting the taps in off to the right or something would be nice.

Nope. Not buying it. Also, I tend to be looking at extremely contemporary fixtures whereas Bob seems drawn to the 'old world' kind.

Just so you know my plan is to ceramic tile everything. The floor will be done, the walls will be done and then a nice chair-rail effect with ceramic also. That tumbled marble look is the way I'm going. You can't see the window in this picture but just above the vanity is a window and Bob insists that the vanity must be centered with it. Our original plan was to put the dresser against the right wall and turn the toilet so it was beside it. I think I've been over-ruled.

So Bob has taken this Friday off so that we can go shopping for bathroom faucets. He is suggesting I get up at 10 am so we can head into Toronto to look at the designer stores. First, I'm cheap. Second, I don't need to see how the other half lives. I'm just trying to make it look designerish without the designer price tag.

Here's hoping that I can keep that ugly green eyed monster from making an appearance. I'm not good at seeing things that make me want to weep from their sheer beauty so I'm figuring a good old fashion depression should hit around 3 pm because I don't make any money and if I did maybe we could afford that horribly overpriced toilet/shower/vanity combo.

Yep, a lesson in humility is in the making folks.

Can you feel my excitement?

And Z's book wasn't at the bookstore.

No. I'm okay. A little helping of patience to go with my heap of humility should be just what the doctor ordered.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need chocolate.

11 comments:

nath said...

I think that starting with the bathroom was a good idea... because that pink... :P The vanity looked nice :) and at least, you guys agree on the sink. Ceramic wall is a good idea as well, but what color? Since it's so small, I think you should opt for something whitish... maybe with a nice simple design, but not on every tile. You know what I mean? Like a row and then blank for many rows and another row.

Kristie (J) said...

Lookin' nice so far! So can I see it 'live' when you're done? *g*

~ames~ said...

That's looking very nice! My aunt does things like that all the time. Her house, however, is a mess (according to my tastes-and I don't have-so my aunt says). LOL But she's dying to decorate our house (we moved in five years ago) and I absolutely refuse to let her. She has good ideas (that I implement) but I don't like her colour schemes.

And that pink is just awful. Blech. Of course I've had some awful experiences with Pepto Bismol, so that colour makes me feel sick! LOL

Mailyn said...

OK, I HAVE to ask, what does Bob do??? Because, it's my experience that men don'y give a crap what the house looks like. It's all about the cars. Is he a designer?Or is it just his hobby?

Oh!!! You have a disorder?? What do you have? What meds are you on? Isn't it exciting meeting other people with disorders??? Yes, I think is cool, so feel free to smack me. LMAO.

Mailyn said...

http://img453.imageshack.us/img453/755/sissi2nj.jpg

P.S. Here is a pic of one of my babies. Her Royal Highness, we call her.

CindyS said...

Nath - yep, I'm all about doing neutrals on things that are expensive to replace so the tiles will be a white/sand colour. Hey after that if you want to go nutty with tie-dye towels knock yourself out ;) I should post some of my 'inspirationas' ;)

Kristie - you'll probably get to see it in every stage!! The middle stage, the almost there stage the OMG we're done stage and then? The what's next stage!!

Ames - people used to tell Bob and his first wife how nice their home was. They had orange trim for the love of all that's holy!! It wasn't until I moved in and said 'oh, hell no!' that people started to fess up to the 'uniqueness that is peach'. Bob said he'll never believe anyone now. Yep, it's what you like, after that, who cares!?

Mailyn - I told my hubby about your 'is he a designer' question and I swear he went white in the face. He was speechless that anyone would think he wasn't 'manly enough'. I told him not to worry, I would post a picture of the driveway - there are 4 vehicles there and only one is mine. He has 2 pick-up trucks because I spoil him and one of them holds his tools. He then said I should take a picture of his work shop also ;) Men. I think he got involved because more often then not he would hear me say 'oh, I'll get Bob to build that' and since he was never sure what I was about to do he decided to get pro-active. (Really means he says how it's absolutely impossible to do it the way I want - I tell him to sleep on it and by the next day he has it figured out. Still, there is some grumbling when load bearing walls are concerned ;))

Also, get this. Building and plumbing (he says he hates plumbing) electrical, drywalling, installing kitchens, baths etc are things Bob finds relaxing!!!

I find napping relaxing.

As to meds, yes my dear I am on them and probably abusing a few of them.

Effexor for my panic attacks which have plagued me since I was 10, flared into agoraphobia when I was 28 (I had no clue what my problem was because in my family, if you're not holding your own bloody limb in your hand you're find) found help (Thank you GOD!) and took 3 years to get back from the edge. I still live within sight of that edge and I wish it wasn't there but since I am so open with my friends and my blog buddies (Kristie came to see me knowing that it would be next to impossible for me to go her way without Bob in the car) I don't have to run into that ledge all the time.

It's my family that can trigger an attack so I have Clomaza-something or other that kicks panics ass if it gets too overwhelming which is always Christmas. Actually, the entire month of December. And November.

Also, sleeping pills which my doctor tells me are not addictive but I won't go to bed without one so either addictive or crutch. I'm leaning towards crutch but, I'd rather live a full life now and kick early then live no life at all!!

AND Her Royal Highness is GORGEOUS!!

CindyS

sybil said...

I am in awe... you rock

And the pink must die. Just saying.

Which sleeping pills? They use to say ambien wasn't addicitve and then found out they were wrong.

As they said topamax wouldn't make your hair fall out and I found out at 400mg a day it will. Fuck with my weight or my hair and I so quit you. Of course this was after a year and a half, over 80 pound weightloss and a car accident. Didn't really do shit to stop the migraines though. As I had enough hair for six people and still have enough for at least four, I shouldn't bitch. But I was pissed at the time.

Mailyn said...

LOL! NO! NO! I didn't mean he was, like, gay! LMAO!!!! I just wondered if he was a professional [like that Bob Villa dude. Or is it Bob the builder? no, wait, that's a kids show. nevermind] or if he did it for fun.

I think men should take more interest in the house they also inhabit so it's cool he does all that stuff.

Man that's a lot of meds! I'm scared to take meds so I cut it down to two. But don't tell the psych. He thinks I take them all. But I do take the two most important ones! I'm also supposed to take sleeping meds but that's one of the ones I skip. However, I am planning to take one or two before we board the plane to Vegas next month because I am TERRIFIED of planes. I've been in denial ever since I found out we were going so, if anybody asks, I'm not going anywhere. Until they make me board the plane.

That's nice that you have Bob drive you around and that he is there for you. I have my mom. And my three babies. But I think they give me a bigger headache than anything else. Did I tell you the big baby eats his beds? Yep, so far it's 8 of them. Plus my brand spanking new mattress which has a hole the side of New Jersey. Oh and he loves plastic. He eats it. No, really, he chews and swallows it.

I'm surrounded by weirdos. :-P

nath said...

LOL :) your hubby sounds very nice and hurt that someone would question his masculinity. I wonder why they assume design = gay. And tell him I'm interested in seeing his trucks and tools ;P

CindyS said...

Sybil, I take Immovane 5mg also called Zopiclone. I'm a bad monkey because sometimes I take the clomazapem or some such because they make me sleepy with my sleeping pill. Then I will have to back everything off so that the pills will work again but egads, my brain won't stop playing around without the pills for about 3 days. I get really out of sorts at that point.

My anxiety pills side effects are sleepiness (thus I sleep at all the wrong times) and weight gain (fuckers couldn't make it to lose weight ;))

Mailyn - I'm not just terrified of planes, I would end up throwing up, screaming and then passing out. I have a flying free life. It'll never happen and everyone around me knows it. My counsellor when I was dealing with panic asked if I wanted to deal with my fear of flying. Uh, no. It's a phobia for a good reason!! Friends were planning on setting up a trip and then not telling me the date, drugging me and then get me on the plane (this was way before 2001) but I would wake up and panic about how I was going to get home ;)

Did you read my post about Cody and baby oil? Classic.

Nath - Bob was pleased to know someone wanted to see pics of his 'toys'.

CindyS

ReneeW said...

Wow, pink! I'm so impressed at your creativity with the dresser turned into a vanity. It's gorgeous. Bob's next project is to gut our master bath and but who knows when he will get to it. I hope by next spring. My Bob used to be as energetic as yours but he has slowed down in the last 10 years or so.