Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Pool Day

Well, I wanted a scorcher of a summer and I have definitely got one.

I believe the humidex reached 48 degrees which is *off to google* Holy Crap!! That can't be right! Okay, the real temp was 34 which looks to translate to 94 but when you translate 48 you get 118 degrees. That might explain why I'm still squishing when I walk!

So, it felt like 118 degrees. Ow.

Onwards!

Today I had the Godson's and their friends over with my friends Sue and Tracy. The kids were in the pool by 1:45pm and didn't get out until 8pm.

Okay, we had some eats.

I'm not even sure how many times I jumped in but it was probably in the double digits!

So Sue brings this huge blow up ball and being a non-parent I yell out how we should jump on top of it in the water.

Have I mentioned I have a concrete pool?

Yeah, the parents were cringing every time the kids did a running jump but I just kept yelling that they had to be away from the sides of the pool. It really was hilarious and when I got the camera out the kids wanted me to get pictures of each of them landing on the ball.

That's my boy Zach and what you have to realize is that this picture is taken in that split second before the ball shoots him off into the water.

For example, I have about 20 pictures of the aftermath of the jumps (over to the right). Digital cameras are funny in that there is a pause before they actually take the picture so we had to work on the timing.

This aftermath picture (below) had us cracking up because the foot looks so normal and yet, where's the rest of the person?

Okay, the heat may have done us all in and we would find anything funny but I guess you can tell by the pics that the kids were having fun. At no point did I try and jump on the ball because I figured an ER visit would shortly follow. Sue grabbed the ball and jumped in holding it but I was busy taking her picture so I'm not sure how she did. I have her in mid air but thought to spare her the posting of that pic on the blog.

When I first got in I proclaimed in a loud voice that they better prepare for the tidal wave I was about to create. So I do a running cannonball and the two oldest jokers swam to the back of the pool and were laying on the wall when I came up like my wave had tossed them there.

I refrained from drowning them for their insolence.

I then coached the lone girl how to dive properly. She would go to dive in but she would keep her head up so the water would hit her in the neck. I taught her that whole 'your arms are up and are now connected to your ears - arms and ears always together!' and now the kids do great dives.

At this moment, Cody is at my feet snoring very loudly. He came and went throughout the day but I was worried he'd get overheated so whenever I noticed that he looked tired I put him back in the house where it's air conditioned.

Me thinks the pooch is tired out. I wish I could record the sound for you guys cause it's classic.

On tap for tomorrow is my best bud Michelle coming and spending the afternoon by the pool. It will only be two of us so it will be much more quiet for the neighbours.

I'm a wee bit nervous about Michelle's visit because I don't see her as much as my other best bud. Still, she sent me a great e-mail that said we didn't have to anything at all and if all I wanted to do was sit by the pool she was fine with that. She wants to go shopping in a neighbouring city which I'm not so good with but Bob said he would take us when he got home. So knowing that she would like to see a few places, I thought it was wonderful of her to say that just a visit was fine with her.

I am well blessed in my friends.

I hope you are all staying cool and if I thought you could all come, I would say my place for a pool party!!

1 comment:

~ames~ said...

*le sigh*

I have to work all day. At least it's air conditioned. And I'm not really working hard. LOL

Looks like you guys had a blast! I love playing with my little cousins and brothers in the water-they're fearless!