Friday, August 11, 2006

Book Meme - You're It!!!

I saw this over at Rosario's and I know I saw it one other place but once again my brain is being lazy. Bad brain.

Since I just love to talk about all things me it shouldn't be any surprise that I love the meme.

Okay, no one's leaving!! Sit. Down.

I mean really, I do all this work and you all are bailing like - hey, did I ever tell you about my dad taking us kids out in the row boat and all the bailing we had to do?

Ooops. Let's get started before my brain goes back to bailing whatever it normally bails.

One Book....That Changed Your Life

Oh, come on!! Changed my life? Really? Are there books out there that can change my life? Why didn't anyone tell me!! Can someone please find me the 'You no longer have panic attacks and can sleep like all other people on the planet and you're normal' book?

I know, I'm obnoxious.

Now a book that changed my perception of the world and how it works?

I got a title for ya.

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. According to Wiki it looks like most people in North America have to read it for school and I was in grade 12 when I read this book. Talk about mind blowing. It's a book about how a society can be systematically stripped of all it's freedoms. It followed one woman's story in the aftermath of some sort of revolution (I always think revolutions are supposed to bring good things so this word hurts in this sentence). As eye opening as the story was the ending was even more spectacular. As a student of history I was captivated by the idea that this woman's story was being studied hundreds of years after the revolution and how no one knows what happened to her after a certain point. Not only that, I have watched as our society has become more and more like the one depicted before the fall. When I read the book 'interac' was not around and the idea of money moving without touching it was intriguing. Now, it's a given and in the back of my mind I know how what we see as a convenience could be used to trap us.

Wow, too deep. Let's see if we can dig out of this hole!

One Book....That You've Read More Than Once

Just one? I tell you what, I'm just going to drop a whole bunch of names.

Julie Garwood - when I was a poor student I wouldn't let myself buy, borrow or steal romances during the school term (I knew myself well) because I knew I would always pick a romance book over doing work. So, every Garwood book I owned was very well read because even though there was a moratorium on buying romances I could still read the ones sitting around.

Katherine Sutcliffe's Renegade Love - I loved how dark the romance was in this story. I think the heroine would probably come off too sweet nowadays but back when it was first published I loved it.

Anne Stuart - I know, enough said.

One Book....That You'd Want on a Desert Island

I hate these kind of questions because it plays on my fear of running out of books to read. So here is my answer. I would like every romance ever published to be bound in one huge ass book. HUGE!! Not only will I have a ton of great books to read but those that I hate can be used as toilet paper.

No, you didn't just read that. It was a figment of your imagination. Bad you with your wicked thoughts of toilet paper. I'm calling the RWA! Like I would ever suggest a book was so horrible it's only worth would be to ... Okay, I said it.

One Book....That Made You Cry

I'll answer this first assuming that the question is asking about a good cry. Off the top of my head it was a Barbara Samuel's book. Wish I was good with titles (oh look, found it! No Place Like Home). For the most part the story was running alright even though I felt the romance was a wee bit shy but then I hit the last three chapters and I was a sobbing wreck of a woman. Haven't picked up a Samuel since. I'm not huge on crying.

Oh crap. Can't forget that horrible book A Knight in Shining Armor. Sobbing at the end. Horrible wretched sobs. Check please!

Now, crying in a bad way, it would be Stone Angel by Margaret Laurence, The Mill and The Floss by - I don't know and I don't care and, wait, I'm sure it was Catcher in the Rye about some kid who *may* have tossed his best friend out of a tree. I will never forget these books because they sucked up time I will never be able to get back. Seriously, why did they make us read these books as students? Were we not suicidal enough?

One Book....That You Wish Had Been Written

Screw that. Let's talk about the books I wish *I* had written. Harry Potter even though I have never read one. I mean that woman is rolling in it and I want some of that!

One Book....That You Wish Had Never Been Written

Ooops, looks like I got ahead of myself. Typical.

All the same, everyone needs toilet paper. Oh, c'mon! You were thinking it!

One Book....That You Are Currently Reading

I'm trying to read Hunting the Hunter but, I am really scanning through all my design books trying to find the right style of bookcases so I can show my husband. Let's not even talk about wall colours or which way the bed will be in the room. Is it a library, a spare room or a sitting room off the master?

With these kind of important decisions to be made you can see how I'm floundering when it comes to reading right now.

One Book....You've Been Meaning to Read

Now see, this one has Outlander all over it. People claim it's a romance, the author says no and I have sooo seen the crap people say is romantic. Titanic anyone? Calm down, it's in the pile and I promised one of my buds I would read it but, meh. I hear they are very old in the later books and that the readers will probably have to be there when they die. Yetch. I prefer youth forever!

Who do you tag

Ha-ha! Gotcha! If you made it this far consider yourself TAGGED! I know, it's such a wonderful reward for making to the bitter end.

Okay, you can get out of your seat. No, it's okay, you're free to go on with your day.

For now.

6 comments:

Rosario said...

Heh, I don't have any self-control when I'm studying, either. What I had to do was to forbid myself to read or reread any romance novel. I was only allowed to reread books I hadn't found too compelling the first time.

And I LOVE your idea of that huge, huge book! :-)

Mailyn said...

when I was a poor student I wouldn't let myself buy, borrow or steal romances during the school term

nice to know I'm not th eonly one resorting to petty theft. mehehe.

you never heard that from me.

bleh. Outlander. meh. crap. lol.

dancechica said...

Not only will I have a ton of great books to read but those that I hate can be used as toilet paper.

Hahaha! That's got to be the best answer I've read for that question. lol.

Outlander -- I've got that in my pile but I just haven't been anxious to read it. I'm not really into Scotland or the time period but since everyone raves about it, I got it. I'll read it...one of these days... ;)

Jennie said...

LMAO about the toilet paper. Yeah, some books out there are worthy of it. Might not be too comfortable though. Not exactly Charmin soft. ;)

CindyS said...

Rosario - it's nice to know I'm not the only person with self-control issues. I used to be worried that I'd get brain rot. Wait.

Mailyn - ALLEGEDLY ;)

Dance Chica - Yeah, I'm pretty proud of that answer ;) My reasons for not reading Outlander yet is the size. Yes, I'm easily intimidated.

Jennie - I love your blog!! Did you design it yourself because I love all the little visual tags. As for TP (toilet paper) I might prefer paper to poison ivy because no matter how many times I hear the 'three leaves' thing I know I would end up getting it somewhere totally inappropriate ;)

CindyS

Jennie said...

Thanks, Cindy! I like my blog too, but I can't take credit for it really. My sis is a graphic designer and (imo) way talented. She did the header and icons.

OOOH! Poison ivy. *shudder*