Sunday, August 27, 2006

Thanks Everybody!

First I have 5 books listed on my Favourite 25 books by 25 Authors. The good news is that every once in a while I'll go, 'oh yeah!'. I figure my list will be ready by Christmas. Also, I have a meme of 20 things that piss me off but I'm still in a pretty good mood and let's not harsh on the buzz.

Onwards!

Thanks for all the birthday wishes and I can't believe I have people who think my life is cool. Hey, I enjoy it ;) And Suisan is right, where did I get the idea that 36 was all grown up? Stupid thinking really.

So, loot.

I got a 30 dollar gift certificate for Chapters from Cody.

Stop laughing Renee.

I got a 30 dollar gift certificate from Emma and Amber.

Renee.

Bobby bought me a wireless keyboard *score!* so that I can have my keyboard on my lap with my legs up on my desk.

Yes. I do type like that.

Yes. Another reason why I don't have a job. I look too laid back.

Oh, I also got an Australian Shepherd magazine and calendar. ( I think Bob is also regretting that we didn't take enough pictures of Rocky ) Funny thing is that Cody is not a Shepherd (left side - they have longer coats). He's not a cattle dog either (short coat but bulkier bodies and upright ears). We still think he may have some Dingo in him but I saw a picture years ago of an Australian Sheep Dog and he looked just like Cody so that's what I call him. Problem is, you can't find stuff with ASD on it.

My parents bought me this oval night stand that I found while shopping last week which is beautiful and it was so priced right that I'm considering furnishing my entire house from this place and no, it's not IKEA. Oh, I have pictures so I'll post them. I know. You are soooo lucky!

Mom and Dad also got me a great book called Decorating With Books - hey, I think my parents may have finally figured out who I am!

Year 36 people.

OMG! I have to tell you about my mom.

Take a pee break if you need it!


We play this game called Upwords (it's a ball) but lately we are playing 'speed round' Upwords because if you play too serious it can take hours and if it's a work night or if Bob has to get up early he doesn't like to play. So the last time we played I came up with speed round and basically you get to lean in to people taking to long and mock them in varying degrees of volume by saying 'Speed Round!!!' It's very disconcerting when it's your turn and you realize the place you were going to put your word has now been obliterated and my dad has his hands cupped around his mouth bellowing 'Speed Round!!'

Yeah, we're nutty.

Anyways. Even when my mom is playing normal she basically will end up with about 3 letter tiles in her hand and well, this is what happens:

Mom: *Has a V, T and B in her hands while looking over the board and trying for the most points* Oh! I can make video!

Dad: Yeah, you can.

Me: *I've been leaning over and looking at my mother's tiles because she's had some wine and speed round goes better if you help her out* You have a D?

Mom: Oh. No. Okay, wait. I can

Bob: *leans towards me* Remind your mother it's speed round.

Me: I'm telling her it's from you and she won't make lasagna again.

Bob: *shuts up*

Mom: Oh, I know, oasis! I'll get a ton of points!

Dad: Anne, you just said you have no vowels.

Mom: Right, right. Okay, wait.

Me: Speed Round!

Mom: Oh, up your nose!

Dad: Put your B over here and make bed.

Mom: I don't want to do that because I'll only get six lousy points.

Me: Here!! Put your V here.

Bob: *groans*

Dad: *groans*

Mom: Oh, yeah, thanks! How many points will that be?

Me: 30

Mom: *looking over at the score card that my dad has* Am I winning!?

Dad: *resigned sigh* Yes Anne.

Me: *looking at Bob* You had a letter for there didn't you? Ha ha.

Bob: *gives me the look* It's your turn - speed round!

And so it goes for most of the night. We all know what it's like to play with mom and I think it's hilarious and yet at the same time scary.

Last night, near the end of the game, I caught myself with three letter tiles in my hand and yelling 'Oh, I can make zebra!! Wait, I don't have an e. Oh, boat! Wait, no B! OH MY GOD!!'

I turned to Bob with a look of horror on my face.

'Mark this day on the calendar. August 25, 2006 at the age of 36 Cindy officially became her mother.' *fake cries*

Give it a minute.

One more.

'Hey! What's wrong with being like me? I can spell!'

Yep, three sheets to the wind but she can spell. Not with any letters she actually possesses but, she can spell. Not only that, it's a good thing she's drunk or she might have figured out the deeper meaning to what I said.

Since I'm still alive to tell the story, I think it's safe to say that my mother truly believes it's her spelling that I was maligning.

Sometimes I get lucky.

10 comments:

Kerri Wall said...

Happy Birthday Cindy! Sorry I missed it. Good Mom story though!

Fiona

Bev (BB) said...

Well, couldn't you just explain to her that no daughter likes to become their mother???

Hehehe.

Because you'd be even deader faster? Yeah, I thought that would probably be it. ;p

~ames~ said...

LMAO!! Sounds like you guys had a great time.

That book looks very interesting, please post pictures if you implement any of the decorating tips. :P

CindyS said...

Thanks Fiona! Yeah, who doesn't have a million mom stories.

Bev - I like breathing. It's only fun to mock your mother when she has to work out what you are saying OR has to go to therapy to find out what I *really* meant ;)

Ames - yeah, we have a blast when we play games. Especially when someone puts a word on the board like piddle - my Dad gets his 'that is not an appropriate word' look on his face. We did put shit on the board once and I thought his head was going to blow off his neck ;)

Tara Marie said...

Wishing you a Belated-Happy!!

Of course, the "children" should buy you gifts--LOL.

Mailyn said...

Cody got you a gift certificate!! I'm jealous! My baby only brings me dead lizards. :-(

Kerri Wall said...

You know, I'm at the same place with the hate books meme and the 20 things that irritate me. I just keep slowly adding to the list...

CindyS said...

Tara Marie - yeah, the kids always get me something and they know my favourite place to shop ;)

Mailyn - dead lizards? I'm suddenly grateful for living where I do - my pets don't bring me anything dead because I think they eat them *gag*

Fiona - PMS just hit so I'm thinking my irritant list is about to explode!!

CindyS

Rowena said...

Love the Mom story, just too funny and so cute, I love Upwords, though I haven't played that game in ages...we're more into Scattogories and Taboo these days, but Im' gonna have to break out the Upwords now because I liked your story!

(((((Cindy))))))

CindyS said...

Dylan - oooooh, I'll have to look at Scattegories and Taboo - we're definitely a game playing family. We just bought Sequence but my husband has this evil mojo that can break anything and no, there are no moving parts on Sequence but we were all playing just fine until Bob played the game and we ended in a stale mate. I figured he broke the game ;)

CindyS