Monday, June 26, 2006

Funky Town

Now, for all those who remember that 70's hit Funky Town you will be hearing that song in your head for the rest of the day.

After some of the covers y'all have been subjecting me to, this is the least I could do in return.

Funny how that song is upbeat though because I hit a funk today that took the wind out of my sails. I headed back to bed for a nap because nothing was going right. Also, sometimes those meds back up in the system and I need a day of sleep so that was probably part of it.

Pool - phffffft. Stupid murky looking, can't get the friggin' water to pump out so I can vacuum the dark spots I can see through the murk in the shallow end - uh pool. I can only imagine what is in the deep end. We threw the hose in and filled the puppy to the top because when you turn this thing on backwash - WOW!! I'm probably going to end up emptying half the pool once I can see the damn dead algae so I can vacuum (alliteration - love it!). Have I mentioned it's an 18 X 40 pool with a deep end? Our last pool was a pond compared to this whale of a pool! 140 000 liters and since I'm Canadian I'm not converting that to gallons because - well, I'm dumb. Actually I think you would just divide by 4 to get a rough guesstimate sooo, 35 000 gallons? I'm gonna check a conversion site because that doesn't sound right ... okay, 37 000. I'm not as dumb as I thought.

To keep this post from becoming an epic tome I will try to keep my inane inner thoughts from falling onto the keyboard.

Wait. That won't work.

Onwards!

The Other House - that's how I am going to refer to it from now on because it has become a pain in my ass. Bob was there while I was asleep today and surprised me with all the work he had done so 'tada!! We don't have to work here today!!'. Uhhhh. Bob got all his stuff done. I still have to paint and clean. Grrrr.

So tomorrow is NOT the official new house day.

Then I called my best friend and layed (laid?) the 'best friend card' that she pulled out on me that one day. Guess what? It didn't work!! I needed her to come to the house and help me paint and clean and she was all, well, I'm kinda looking after other kids and what would we do about my kids and ... crap!!! So I'm bitchy enough right now to say that I will no longer be available to other people on 'their whim'. Not having kids seems to make me an easy target to play taxi, babysitter etc. but NO MORE!! Like Sue said at the end of the conversation 'I feel bad because you never say no to us.'

Yep, I'm being a bitchy schmuck at this moment and I hope you won't hold this against me okay? Cause I love kids and being with my friends and stuff, I'm just feeling like an elephant is sitting on my shoulder.

Okay, I'm not standing all slanted to one side so maybe it's clinging to my back.

Yeah, that's better.

There's an elephant on my friggin' back!!

I know!! What will I be like if I have to ever deal with a real problem.

If I had time to read I would be reading Twelve Sharp by Evanovich.

I know!!

3 comments:

Suisan said...

Poor Cindy!!

And hey, about the kid thing? Go right ahead and feel abused. With 3 kids, it is so easy to fall into the habit of expecting that your childless friends are just lining up, waiting to watch your kids while you deal with some other emergency. I KNOW I've taken advantage in the past.

The best that that's happened to me recently is that I've started relying on a friend who *also* has three kids. (We don't tend to send the whole brood over, but she'll send me one or two, and I sometimes send her two--or three as long as the eldest has a good book.) We swap pretty readily, because we recognize how hard it is to get help at the dro of a hat, but, boy, does it cut down on the abuses of the system.

Because if I send mine there, then I KNOW I'm getting two or three back the next time around. You think 3 is nuts, try five--mostly boys.

Kristie (J) said...

At least with all your pool problems for the most part it's not deadly hot out so that it's driving you crazy that you can't swim in it yet.

CindyS said...

Suisan - exactly!! When Sue sends her kids to her other friends she knows babysitting will be coming her way so I think they are more conscious of what they are asking of each other. I actually like the communal sense that this elicites and the families are then larger than just the nuclear. I didn't have *quite* that growing up because we did not live near our best friends but we vacationed together and got together as much as possible. Those are the best memories!

I hope you don't think I'm a bitch - I just won't fall for that 'playing the friend card' thing again!

I mean, she loaded on the 'I'm playing the friend card so you *must* come to this tupperware party.' And yes, she knows I sleep during the day but picking sleep over her party would have apparently changed our friendship forever. Yeah. I'm not doing drama anymore!!

Kristie - I get very cranky when I'm overheated and today I got so much done and painted at the other house and then hiked with the puppies so at 5:30pm I put my suit on and jumped into the deep end of the pool. It was 73 and I haven't been in a pool that cold for a long, long time but boy, it felt fantastic. The 8 minutes it took me to get up the nerve to just jump in was a bit much but I did it finally. Nothing like being in mid-air and thinking - oh shit!! - no turning back then ;)

CindyS