Thursday, June 01, 2006

Real World

I was over at Renee's blog tonight and saw that she had had some fun re-reading a few of Linda Howard's books. I looking over her list and noting the absence of Dream Man, my favorite Howard, and I start thinking about what it is I like about the story.

I never really have time to re-read but, all of a sudden I have a hankering to find Dream Man which is exactly when the real world crashed into my brain.

Aside to Renee: Sorry about the meltdown in your comments!

The first thing I packed were all my books.

I labeled some of the boxes as 'emergency - Anne Stuart books - Master bedroom' and such, only I didn't label every box because that'd be nuts or hard work, whatever. I was pretty proud of myself for taking the bull by the horns and having the forethought to think about when I was in a new house. What I completely forgot, or blocked, was that everything we were going to pack was going to end up in the room with my books for storage.

So the first thing that happened was Bob went into the room and moved all the boxes I had packed and put them onto the bookshelves. And then he packed. And packed. And, well, look!!

My boxes are in behind all those white boxes!!

I don't know about others but I'm one of those people who can get upset but not have a clue what is upsetting them. I mean, I haven't been that upset but I know I have been feeling sleepy and extremely lazy while at the same time, my leg thump, thump, thumps with too much activity.

So, yeah, everything kinda slammed into me tonight like a truckload of dynamite. I haven't started crying but I was packing up the kitchen my husband put in for me with all the pretty glass and lighting and realizing that I was leaving everything behind. I don't even get to take my stove or dishwasher with me! The house we're moving to has everything built in but nothing is to my taste.

Okay, looks like I'm starting to freak out a little.

I just realized a minute ago that this weekend coming will be the last weekend here at this house!

Yep, I'm wiggin'.

At the same time, I can't wait to move and get settled again so I can sit and read or go swimming or get the laundry done without wondering where everything should go.

Alright, I better sign off before I get too worked up.

My leg is bouncing like a basketball!

So we don't end on a bad note, here's a picture of Amber.

She decided that she didn't want to get left behind and packed herself in a box. Funny thing is I used this box last week to take her to the vet because she was sick. I guess she figures she'd rather move with us then take a chance we'll leave her behind. My vet said how unorthodox it was to bring her in a box - hey, I've tried the cat carrier things but my cats suddenly grow 40 legs and do contortions that have me struggling for 15 minutes to get them loaded into the bloody thing. I take Emma in a laundry basket now because she is too timid to jump out while I'm carrying her but, I took Amber in a box with a lid. Amber was in such bad shape that I was super stressed and didn't have time to even figure out if we owned a cat carrier anymore. Good thing we're moving or I would have gone in carrying her under my arm. Amber loves adventure and would think nothing of jumping out of a carrier. Yep, even in immense pain.

Maybe I should be more like Amber.

Well, I already sleep like a cat - what, they sleep for 22 hours a day or something. At least I have that in common with her ;)

3 comments:

Kristie (J) said...

Cindy: *heh heh* take a deep breath - hold it - slowly let it out. Now again. Deep breath - hold it - slowly let it out.

Now what you have to focus on is this is a new chapter in your life for you and Bob. Yep - you have good memories about the house your in, but your going to make new good ones. Think of how long you've been looking for it!!!
I can relate the panic over your packed up boxes of books, but think of it a a chance to indulge yourself in new books you can buy until the move and the anticipation of seeing your babies again after they have a brief time away from mommie. Think of the fun of unpacking and greeting each one, some you probably haven't said hi to for a while, lingering over your favourites - although we don't admit you have favourites to them.
Alphabetizing Cindy! Think alphabetizing.

meljean brook said...

Ugh -- I'm about to go through the same thing (packing for a move) and am already anxious over it. And my boxes will never be as neatly stacked as that. Or labeled.

...starting to hyperventilate now.

ReneeW said...

Kristie is so smart, that is very good advice. I love Dream Man and hope to re-read it along with some others from my LH keepers this weekend.

No problem about the meltdown, I have those regularly. Packing and moving is very stressful. That pile of boxes is incredible. But you know your 'babies' are safe but you just can't get to them. I love how you named the 'emergency Anne Stuart books' You have set your priorities just right :)

15 years ago we moved into this house and I remember the last day in the old house clearly. I was a bit weepy because that was the house where I brought my two newborns home to and raised them for their early years. I still have those memories (but I don't miss the orange kitchen counters!)

I don't think I have seen a picture of Amber before. I used to have an orange tabby exactly like her named Lucy. My very first cat when we were first married. Amber is so cute. Oops, sorry to hijack your blog.