Thursday, June 22, 2006

The Mundane

Okay, the good news is that I did get some painting done today.

The bad news is that Bob and I have officially seen our first green pool.

We've had an above ground for 3 or 4 years - I'm not good with dates - and we have never had our water turn green. I was beginning to think you had to be a real slacker to have a green pool.

Well, colour me embarrassed because our new (30 years old) inground concrete pool went green over night. Which is weird because as far as I know the only thing unbalanced was the calcium and I hadn't had time to get the stuff in. Three separate doses spread 6 hours apart which means no swimming soooo, I didn't get around to it. Oooops.

This 120 000 liter pool is a whole new experience and the deep end is the part that went green. Maybe not having a deep end (our above ground was 4-5' deep) keeps the algae from growing but that doesn't seem right. Anyways, I had the last pool down to a fine art so it was shocking to see this pool blow it's cool. Not only that, the pool is only at 76 degrees (probably at the top because, day-am, it's freakin' cold which is a whole other story I'll drop on you guys another time - oh look, I added the story to the bottom) so we were told by my husband's best bud that we must have a *real* problem.

Great.

Thing is, the algae was only on the bottom of the pool and I could see the bottom of the pool and if you just think about the lakes you once swam in, well, what's the difference. Bob, however, seems very freaked out about it. I get more freaked out about floaties (bugs and debris floating on the top of the pool) and I will skim the pool until I see nothing left - can take up to a half an hour here!

So here's hoping that the pool is on it's way to health tomorrow when I wake up because I have to paint at the other house - the bathroom alone makes me want to cry, cut the lawn because Bob's best bud and wife are coming for a visit Friday (so I should try and green machine all the urine spots in the basement, vacuum and disinfect at the least - oh, and make something yummy to eat), Friday we get to visit - means I'm cooking and in general disarray and then Saturday one of my best buds is coming to see us. Did I mention we were hoping to get the other house on the market by Monday?

Stupid painting.

Why didn't we do this before!!??

Oh yeah, shit was in the way.

And lazy.

Stupid lazy.

Okay, I was going to end there but I have to tell you this because maybe you'll get a laugh and hey, I like to make people laugh.

So, at our old house we had that pool (c'mon, the one I mentioned above) and for 2 or 3 years we didn't have a heater and well, getting into the pool was quite a chore. I finally wore Bob down enough last year that he said we could buy a heat pump.

Best.

Purchase.

Ever.

Now, we buy this house with this huge pool but, oh look, he has all the equipment and a pool heater so we're away to the races. After every thing is signed, sealed and delivered the old owner took Bob down to the heater and showed him that although it works, he wouldn't trust it because after 30 seconds the metal box that contains the heater is hotter than the sun. So Bob tells me and I say, 'fuck that, I want a new heater in the day we move!'. Bob tells me he and my father can re-insulate the metal box. 'Oh, yeah, when!' Bob says he will have my dad working on it the day after we move in.

That was 14 days ago.

Here is what happened in the old pool:

Bob: Let's go swimming.

Cindy: 'kay.

*ker-splash* *ker-splash* (All right! Who made the whale sound!! *shoulders slump in defeat* oh, who am I kidding, make your sounds.)

Bob: *sigh*

Cindy: *sigh*

Here is what is happening at the new pool:

Bob: Let's go swimming.

Cindy: *dirty look* I don't know ... what's the temperature?

Bob: It's 76 (he knows it's really 74 but no way is that coming out of his mouth).

Cindy: *grumpy look* Oh, all right. Why isn't the pool heater fixed? You promised ... (the diatribe of fault begins and Bob tries to plead his case)

*Bob's in the pool*

Bob: Ahhhh, this is refreshing.

Cindy: You mean it's fucking cold.

Bob: Just get in, you'll feel better once you get in.

Cindy: *goes down ladder to top of thighs* Holy @!#!#@!!! This is @!#!#@!!! Squawk, squawk, squawk, squawk...

*water hits the small of my back*

Cindy: SCREECH!!!!!! SQUAWK, SQUAWK, YOU FU@!@!#!!! SQUAWK, SQUAWK, SQUAWK...

*gets shoulders under*

Cindy: HOLY SHIT I CAN'T FEEL MY LEGS!! BOB WHY .... SQUAWKITY, SQUAWK, SQUAWK ...

*dives under water and then breaks the surface*

Cindy: Awwwwwwwwwww, I feel so much better. You're so good to me! Thank you sweetie for buying us such a wonderful house with a great pool.

Bob: *blink* You're welcome.

--------------------------------------------------------

Yep, he married quite a classy woman.

What a lucky bastard.

3 comments:

Tara Marie said...

The warmest our pool has gotten this year is 77 degrees. Two doors down is the swamp pool from hell. They haven't opened it in a couple of years, the cover is ripped off and the water is black. Black, it's gross--they have bullfrogs living in it.

Suisan said...

I'd be hopeless at pool maintenance. Just hopeless.

I had a fish tank, freshwater, with CO2 bubbling in to gently reuglate the pH--the most technologically advanced, yet still most likely to be stable set-up there is.

Green. Overnight. No warning.

Took the water for testing to see how to limit the nutrients so that the algae wouldn't gorw so fast.

Pet-shop-dude: "Wow. You've got weird water."

No pool in my future.

CindyS said...

Tara Marie - I know you've been floating in your pool and I am extremely jealous! I can't believe the neighbours with a black pool - do they never close it? Maybe they can't afford to clean it but gah, that's disgusting!

Suisan - For some reason I like taking care of a pool - probably because I don't have kids ;) Hey, I have to be good at something so I am definitely feeling like a failure right now. You know, the water here is different from the water at our old house that is like 3 minutes from here. Different companies for the water and soft water makes my hair greasy. I haven't felt clean since we moved. I'm trying to figure out if I can add a water hardener!

CindyS