Friday, June 30, 2006

Promises Kept

I did tell you that I would share my book purchases with you and let me tell you, finding 4 paperbacks to buy has never been so hard. I might have to revisit 'the rule' I have for buying books but then, it could be saving me a small fortune.

Yesterday was a hodge-podge of stuff that had to get done, now, now, now so it wasn't like I had time to sit and browse the shelves. I definitely felt like I was under pressure but, a free book?, I'll work through it.

The first book I picked up after going over the section about 3 times (big box store so the section is huge) was Bitten & Smitten by Michelle Rowen even though I recall that Jay had a 'meh' feeling about the book. I read the first page and thought, what the hell, it could be free. However, when I went to Jay's last night I discovered that she had been trying to read the next book by this author and was failing miserably. Thing is I had read this before but I have such a shitty memory that it didn't take. Crap. I now own a book by an author who has received two 'meh' reviews.

Maybe she'll be my new Anne Stuart.

Hey, I will be holding out hope that one day I will find another author that brings me as much joy as Anne Stuart. It's imperitive that this new author have a backlist. In fact, that's non-negotiable.

At this point in my venture I'm beginning to sense that things are not going to mesh and I'm going to be leaving empty handed because it's not like I need this book to breath.

I fan out.

Maybe someone published since the last time I was in the bookstore.

Like LKH - oh she did! Hardcover, huh, I can get that cheaper over their on-line store and I should really be cutting her loose. (Aside, Bam did have a review and Bam's over it and since she read as far as I did in the series I trust that I would also be way over it - Sweet!!! 25 bucks to spend on other books - but that's for another day, we have to finish yesterday's visit).

A Fist Full of Charms? Hey, that's the latest from Kim Harrison! I can buy that! Now, I have only read the first in her series - Hey, settle down, it doesn't break the rule! The rule is I cannot buy any more books by an author I have *yet* to read. I've read her first book and I liked it so now I have three in the TBR pile for back-up. Shut up. It's my rule and I didn't break it!!

Sheesh.

Okay, I've got two books and I'm not going back.

I see Julie Keener's The Manolo Matrix but guess what? I have The Givenchy Code and since I haven't read the book I cannot buy her latest.

See, it works.

Stupid rule.

Ahem.

At this point I desperately head back to the romance section to find two frickin' books by authors who I've either not read before or who's books I have read and enjoyed. This should be like taking candy from a baby (seriously, who would take a baby's candy? Okay, besides me) but it's like pulling teeth.

Sex, Lies and Online Dating by Rachel Gibson. Eh, why not. I read her See Jane Score and there were things that made me nuts but maybe she has grown as a writer and her hero won't come off as a passive-agressive A-hole.

Give me a break. Time crunch people!

And what is that little piece of darkness? Night Fires by Karen Harbaugh. Huh. Didn't she write trads? Is it possible this book contains no sex?

Holy shit!!! On the back, on the back!!! There is a friggin' endorsement by none other than Anne 'she's a goddess' Stuart!

And I quote "Extraordinary...Quite possibly the best book of the year...Completely and utterly divine." -- Anne Stuart

S-old!

Yes, I know how blurbing works and Stuart could have said something ravishingly bad about the book which would explain all those dots but I don't care. Apparently all a publisher has to do is put Anne Stuart on the book somewhere and I will buy it. Could you imagine if Catherine Coulter or Connie Mason had a quote from Anne? Hey, I can call her that - we're like this *fingers crossed* - sure there's that pesky restraining order but...

Anways.

I hope there's sex in the Harbaugh book.

Uh, oh, I think I broke the internet - no pictures in blogger and now I can't get any websites to come up so no links - I'm gonna hit publish and see if I can get this on before I need to go to bed.

5 comments:

~ames~ said...

Freaky deaky - I have the same book rule. LOL It has saved me a lot of money - but has also led to much aggravation because it prevented me from buying some books that "looked" good.
Can't stand LKH anymore. But like I said at Bam's, the devil compels me to keep reading her. At least I don't buy her books anymore.
I've got the Givenchy Code in my TBR. Also going to read RG's SL&OD this weekend, so I'll let you know if you missed out on a good thing. LOL

This is something I have to do (or I'll be in the bookstore for hours): I plan what books I'm going to buy before I go to the store. That prevents me from browsing and buying more than I actually need. It helps that Chapters has that nifty thing on their site that lets you know if they have the book instore or not.

CindyS said...

Ames!! Another Canadian - which I know from your blog but I get confused easily - surprise! To you have a nickname for your puppy or do you call him by his full name? I call my boys Cody-bear (names Cody) and Rocky gets Rockerfeller. They get there real names when they have eaten something they shouldn't have ;)

This visit to Chapters was to drop off a book they had shipped to me in error so I hadn't really planned on doing anything except scan the bookshelves - which is where they put that handy dandy little 4 for 3 sign. Sweet!!

So many books look good and Karen Monk's books have great covers but I know I own at least one of her books so I won't buy another. Thing is, I now have no clue where the book is.

I will do a blog about where my books are now but I have to shore up my defenses so I don't cry ;)

CindyS

~ames~ said...

I just call my baby Max. Or *shh, don't tell anyone* Maxie Baby. I know I know. I'm sick. LOL

About this 3 for 4 sale - I've been staying away from Chapters because of it. I'd afraid to go crazy! Talk about self-restraint.

About your books - is it that bad?

Megan Frampton said...

I bought the Harbaugh for the EXACT SAME REASON.

CindyS said...

Megan - I love you for admitting that too. We're going to be creating our own support group soon.

CindyS