Friday, June 02, 2006

Renee Baby - Get the Popcorn Out!!!

Holy Shit!!!

I can't even believe what I just read and I'm laughing my ass off ... OMG!

And breathe.

Someone posted a Can't We All Just Get Along post!!!

Oh, shit, I just peed a little.

The links I would have to post to get you where you need to go. Shit! The Jaynes is where to start but when I hit the CWAJGA (click here last) post I think I died a little. I thought she was kidding but no, she was dead serious and then it just got funnier from there.

Edited: Damn, I just went back to read and she came to her senses and became totally sane. *shakes fist in the air* Just when I thought there was going to be a dust up. Oh well, keep reading this to get to the hypothetical at the bottom.

I'm still trying to figure out where this whole thing began. Whether Sarah McCarthy started it with a post about rabid fangirls or if someone complained first ... I just don't know but OMG - It's a friggin' riot!

Damn, I needed this to help keep my mind off stuff. Just the kind of crap I like to sit and watch.

Cindy's Sum up:

Sarah McCarthy's fangirls have been declared rabid and Lord, I know that most sane people can see a rabid fangirl a mile away. Disclaimer: I have no actually knowledge of Sarah McCarthy's fans and am only reporting what I have encountered out in blogland. If you're reading this and thinking, 'I'm gonna cut this bitch - you are a rabid fangirl - chill.

A whole bunch of denying. A whole bunch (three that I know of) people step up relating their experience and the moderator of the list going 'holy shit!! This happened? Why didn't you say something!'

Then the 'the author is responsible for the behaviour of her fans' argument - especially on her own turf.

And breathe.

That's where I got to but, I just had to come running back here to let Renee (and everyone that is horrible like me who enjoys the whole rubbernecking kinda thing) know if she was bored she needed to head on out (make a right) into blogland.

Here's my hypothetical:

Okay, say you're an author (I'm an author *blink* knock it off) and you have created a series of books that become successful overnight. You have always been on the net so these new fans find you. And they follow you whenever you have 'guest appearances' on the net.

Now, subtle stuff will always blow by me but, if I can read someone's post and think *sing song voice* 'Looney-toons' then I would expect most people of average intelligence would also know they are dealing with a huge stalker.

So you have this fangirl who's spittle from her foaming mouth is actually flying from your monitor.

Do you:

A.) Tell her how much you appreciate her love of your characters but she needs to bring it down a notch?

RESULT: Rabid fan girl becomes anti-rabid fangirl who will now spread her wrath over every internet site in the world to destroy the author who didn't love her back.

B.) Wipe the spittle from your face and grin and bare it because you have a family to protect.

RESULT: No bomb sniffing dogs need to be hired or restraining orders that don't do jack need to be invoked but, people are wondering if you know you have a stalker. Potential loss of sales because freaks are scary and you've aligned yourself with one.

C.) Pat her on the head and say 'there, there, here's a treat - who woves you, yeah, who woves you - okay, go lie down while I talk to a few other people but remember, I wove you the most-est'.

RESULT: No bomb sniffing dogs needed, no creation of a rabid beast of hate running a smear campaign AND having your other fans realize that yes, you know you have a lunatic but you are defusing the situation the best way that you can.

Ding, ding, ding!!!

We have a winna!

If your answer was C then you may just manage to navigate the rocky waters of fandom without having to hire body guards.

Well done.

If for some reason you chose any other answer then make sure your will is up to date.

And dogs.

You need to get some dogs.

And possibly a flack jacket.

2 comments:

CindyS said...

I think with maturity there comes the knowledge we are all different and that what other people hate does not make you wrong for liking it.

I sometimes wonder about the age of the women who have rabid fangirl behaviour.

I mean, I'm a fangirl of Anne Stuart's but I haven't left a comment on her blog (which I found again tonight) or written her a letter about how much I love her books. (I really should because she makes me happy ;))

All the same, if someone says they hate Anne Stuart's books it's no skin off my nose. Heck, sometimes they bring up points that I too noticed. Being a fangirl, I know which are her weaker books but for me, the book somehow still makes me happy. I'm not blind, I can see it was phoned in but I like the call ;)

The other thing is I don't own Anne Stuart. I don't think it's my God given right to protect her from all of life's follies. She's perfectly capable of living her own life without any input from me.

So yeah, I wonder about the age or maybe it's the maturity of these women (girls?) who display these ownership tendencies.

CindyS

ReneeW said...

Oh, that was fun reading. Thanks for the heads up. I don't usually visit many author boards or blogs so I miss a lot of stuff. I completely agree with you, whatever their ages the rabid fangirls demonstrate a sad lack of maturity. I used to think all my gushing about Anne Stuart made me a fangirl but after reading all that I'm pretty mild mannered. We all have our own tastes and I just can't imagine getting worked up about someone not loving my choice. I'm guessing most of them carry their wackiness into the rest of their life and I feel sorry for their friends and family. Can't be easy to live with.