Thursday, June 15, 2006

Mini-Update

I can't stay up much longer because we have a funeral to go to at 10 am.

Nothing to be sad over. The lady was my best friend's great aunt and she lived to 96. She lived on her own and had her wits about her to the very end. We're pretty sure she went in a blink of an eye because she had a panic button and she didn't push it. I believe she had 5 children (some of whom are in their 70's) was married twice and lived quite a swank life.

If only we all could be so blessed.

Anyways, we're still settling in and making dents in the 'to-do' list.

Bob's family is coming on Saturday so I think I will be busy Friday getting preped for their visit. Not only that but the old house needs some trim painted as well as doors. We were planning that for Thursday but I'm never good when my schedule gets mucked up.

The good news is that Bob has started to settle down. He was going to tear out the downstairs bathroom this morning so I took 'before' pictures just in case. I was surprised when I got up and the thing was still intact. Bob said he realized that he didn't need to do a ton of stuff because he's on vacation.

Hey, it only took him 6 days to figure that out.

Not only that, I'm way too familiar with 'contractoritus'. I used to think it was only Bob and I used to call it 'Bobby time'. Someone would ask Bob how long it would take to build and deck and Bob would say - oh, a weekend. At this point I would turn turn to him and say 'okay, that's Bobby time, what is it in 'real' time.' For a while I used to mentally add three weeks to whatever Bob said.

Then I saw a show called 'Real Renos' that follows two contractors and I discovered that there are other men out there that have no concept of what 'real time' is. Thus, the creation of the word 'contractoritus' - if a reno is running late it's because of contractoritus - The absolute belief that whatever project is taken on, it will be completed in a third of the time actually required.

Well, for Bob it's a multiple of three. Our first reno house was supposed to take 3 months - it took 9. The second reno house Bob said 3 months and my father and I secretly knew this meant 9 months. Dad and I were completely at ease during the second reno which drove Bob batty because he didn't know why we weren't done in 3 months.

I've considered explaining about the 24 hour day but wasn't sure how he would handle it.

Needless to say, when Bob said he could have the downstairs bathroom torn out, painted, re-floored, plumbed AND a new cabinet in place by this Saturday, I braced for impact.

Now, I'm much more relaxed. If only I had cut the grass today everything would be fine. I told Bob not to distract me with shopping or going out to eat. Literally, I wake up and wham, I get the stuff on my to-do list done. If for any reason I am distracted, forget it. Sure enough, I got up and Bob took me to the local Tea House.

Mmmmm, scones.

I mean, really, who can cut grass with a belly full of goodness?

3 comments:

~ames~ said...

I can't stand watching Real Renos for just that reason - they take too long. Holmes on Homes is so much better.

Bev (BB) said...

I just love reading about your house adventures, Cindy. (G)

CindyS said...

Ames - I *love* real renos because the two of them are hilarious! The one guy does all the work and the other worries about his clothing - much like Bob (does the work) and my Dad (I'm not wearing the right clothes!). We like HOH also but sometimes I think he goes too far - but then, it wouldn't be a show if he didn't tear something down ;)

Bev - I'm glad you're loving it because I feel guilty that I haven't read any books to report on lately. Good thing this blog says Nocturnal Wonderings and not something like 'Book reviews by Cindy' ;)

CindyS