Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Double O - Not Sexy!


I was introduced to Bond, James Bond at the age of 12 by my parents. They seemed very excited that a 'new' Bond film was out - it was called Octopussy.

After seeing this movie I just couldn't understand how my Mom could think of the hero as sexy.

This was my first encounter with a Male Slut.

There was nothing about this character that I found even remotely appealing. I felt sorry for the women who wanted to have sex with him because they seemed to care. Meanwhile, I knew he was in it for a 'toss in the hay'.

Many years later this character still makes me shudder in revulsion. I enjoy the over the top stunts and the special effects but other than that, I have no love for 007.

I think men like the character because he is superman while at the same time being sexy and suave. In all honesty, I have no clue what it is about this man that women in the audience would find sexy.

I don't think my take on James Bond will ever change because I may have taken my mother's response to him as a 'great man' too seriously. Maybe if they had just told me that Bond movies were cheesy fun I would have found some sort of appeal. Instead, I was introduced to a man that had no redeemable qualities. A man that I would turn and walk away from in a heart beat. A man who never grew up.

So, how about it. Anyone 'love' this character? Can you explain what the appeal is?

10 comments:

Samantha said...

Yeah, i'm not a Bond fan either. I always thought he was a pompous ass, but my step dad loves his movies. I don't understand the appeal either.

CindyS said...

You're alive!!! I'm so glad you are back - I was getting worried but I figured life decided to give you a kick in the pants. I just ran over to see you have some posts up but I am officially heading to bed early (it's midnight)

CindyS

Kristie (J) said...

Cindy: I'm with you! I can't stand him either even though I've seen most of the movies. It was always someone elses choice. Male slut hardly begins to cover it does it? All of them just seemed so detatched from the women they screwed as if they were just satisfying a momentary itch and anyone would do to scratch it.
And with me it was Sean Connery my mother went nuts over :)
And no - I have no intentions of seeing the newest one *g*.

Rosario said...

I'm with you, I just don't see the attraction of a guy who acts like Bond. I think the movies would work much better for me without the romantic interests... just leave the adventure plots. Though actually, I don't think I would enjoy the new ones even then. I liked the older ones because I saw them kind of as period pieces, but the new ones are just boring action.

Mailyn said...

Here is me but people tell me I think more like a man so a few of these may make no sense at all:

1. I think a lot of the actors who played Bond are sexy [Connery, Brosnan]

2.My favorite type of movies are action, the more things [or people] that get blown up the better and I am a sucker for tech and gadgets so yeah. LOL.

3.I can't stand chick flicks and romance in movies most of the time makes me cringe so I like the idea that he just gets around. I call him a suave and sophisticated slut. LOL.

4.I blame the women actually because, just like in real life, you can tell he is a slut from a mile away ergo only women that are OK with one night stands should go for him. If the others "fall" for him, well, they get what they deserve.

All in all I think the character of Bonds is hella cools and I love the movies for that.

Of course, as I said, my definition of cool is more like a mans than a woman. I have never been attracted to the character per say and it's certainly not the reason I watch the movies.

It's the action baby yeah!!!! LOL.

Samantha said...

lol. Yup, I'm alive. School has just been kicking my ass this semester. That's why I kind of vanished for a while. But theres only 2 weeks (3 if you count finals week)left! *does a little dance*

Jennie said...

I wouldn't want to know (or have any type of relationship with) a Bond in real life, but as a sexy, powerful man to watch on the big screen I like him just fine. ;p

I saw the new movie and thought it was really good. And they handled the romantic element much better than any of the others I've seen.

And the new Bond man is gorgeous!!

CindyS said...

I guess I should have mentioned that I find the new Bond extremely sexy but then I know him from other movies.

Pierce Brosnan was probably a good Bond because he had the accent and I expected him to be aloof. Probably because I have never found him appealing. I like my men to have character in their faces and 'pretty' men don't do a thing for me.

CindyS

Rosie said...

Okay, I'm completely freaked because I posted a comment here earlier that has vanished! WTF?

CindyS said...

Rosie, I have noticed that if I get the letters wrong in the word verification I won't know if I don't scroll down and check that the message is there. Course, my comment thingie is right here so you should have seen an error. Hmmm, I have gone to a few blogs where I had posted comments and when I went there later they are gone. I'm wondering if it's a beta glitch.

CindyS