Tuesday, November 21, 2006

SAD

SAD - Seasonal Affective Disorder

Or, what I like to call Winter.

For some reason I got it in my head that it only happened around February of each year and I think that's because that is *my* worst month. Cabin fever doesn't even begin to describe February for me.

You know what though, last year wasn't nearly as bad as the years before and that's because my hubby bought me a SAD light. Since moving, however, I've been remiss in putting it out and I was reminded by a post at Holly's that November is a hard month for most people because of the time change and less sun.

Hello! Why is it that the basic stuff that helps us function gets put to the back of our minds!

I'm trying to figure out where to put it. Last year it was at the top of our desk and I'm thinking since I'm on the computer at least an hour a day that that would be a good place. Thing is, the directions say you need to be very close to the light so I used to sit close (like a few hairs away) and read for twenty minutes. I think if I set it up by my reading chair then I will be more likely to get more reading done.

Win. Win.

Holly also put it quite succinctly when she said she was having a hard time writing just a few sentences. I have noticed this with myself lately and since I lost the 'funny bone' I'm wondering if I should take a break. Like Holly I have a few posts I would like to write but they aren't coming out right.

I figure I'll sleep on it and see where I'm at tonight.

Before I head to bed I'll set up my SAD light for tonight and maybe that'll get my 'pep' back!

The picture above is the SAD light that I have and here is the site I found the picture at.

Yes. For me, it was worth every penny!

Anyone else have a SAD light? Do you like the one you have or do you find that it doesn't work?

8 comments:

~ames~ said...

Interesting. Are they terribly expensive because I think I need one. I'm in an office with no windows all day and it's dark when I leave the house and get home.

CindyS said...

Zeek - ooh, that one is different but maybe I should get one to help with eye strain when reading!

Ames - my light was around 300 dollars but like I said, I think it is worth every penny. I'm considering asking for a second one for another room.

Cindy

Rosie said...

A woman I worked with who had a cubicle with no natuarl light at all had one and she loved it.

Fortunately here in SoCal we have still been having pretty great weather. I need the sunshine.

I lived in the Cleveland, Ohio area when I first got married and it was so hard with all the overcast days!

Valeen said...

I've never heard of these - what a great idea! Like Ames, I'm in a concrete enclosed building all day, its dark when I go in and dark when I come out in the winter time. This would be great. Except I think my boss would look at me funny.

Hey, now, they bought me a heater for under my desk, wonder if the office would pay for one of these?

Mailyn said...

Never heard of these but cool! For me November sucks because it's my borthday and I get depressed around that time.

Everything else, well, I just don't have time because home is getting repaired plus I've been sick which means also no time to read, watch anime or work on websites. This is why my mojo leaves me. I can work well under pressure but not when I only have like an hour to dedicate to everything. Then my mind just shuts down and refuses to do anything. LOL.

Then, when I get to work, I forget everything I was going to write about. LOL.

I hope we all get back to normal soon!!!!

*hugs*

Jilian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Do you have to be awake for the SAD light to work? or can you shine it on you while you sleep? That seems easiest. I looked up today and realized it was almost dark and it was only 4:37. I really hate this time of year. :(

(sorry that was me above. I hit enter without realizing I was logged into the wrong screen name)

CindyS said...

Rosie - I have asked Bob repeatedly if we can move somewhere where it is sunny and warm all year long - so far he's not going for it. Maybe when I win the lottery we can have a winter home to go to from Jan to March ;)

Valeen - they do make smaller cheaper models so maybe this might work also - would have to look into it for sure!

Mailyn - I also get depressed around my birthday because it's the 25th of August and to me, it has always marked the end of summer. Ugh. I just finished a book I've been trying to read for a week so I will be writing about that soon. I'm definitely feeling used up creatively although mundane stuff has been getting done. I just finished staining and varathaning a furniture piece Bob bought and it looks pretty fancy with all the sheen on it ;)

Jay, that is the best question ever!! I would be a ray of sunshine all day long if I could do that! Another thing to look in to ;)

Cindy