Friday, November 24, 2006

Just Freaking Out

It's almost 4am on Friday and my body is telling me that something is definitely up.

Bad Tummy.

And I'm bored.

It's a very horrid combination. It's not the kind of boredom that anything will snap you out of. It think it's more of a lethargy that I can't seem to snap out of. I am getting things done but the idea of searching the internet for a 'different' gift for Bob feels overwhelming. Even so, I have bought many gifts from the internet this week which should have my stress ratcheting down.

At 9:15 I take Cody to the vet and he will probably get a head X-ray to see if he has a growth in his head somewhere. I'm hoping the X-ray comes out clear and it's allergies.

Okay, hoping and feeling like I'm going to throw up every time Cody starts to panic because he can't breathe are kind of opposite in feelings. I am definitely worked up and I can actually feel something rise up in me when Cody struggles to breathe. (which is almost every minute he is awake) When he falls asleep his mouth opens naturally and he snores but at least he isn't upset and it's the only time that I feel myself come down from whatever it is that rises up in me.

So I'll fess up and say that I'm terrified the vet is going to tell me that they can't do anything for Cody. At this rate, he won't be able to breathe by Christmas. I think that's why I'm all out of sorts lately.

I'm not ready and I know for sure that Bob isn't ready. When Rocky had to go I knew it and could deal with it. I've always known that part of loving your pet is knowing when it is time to let them go and usually I feel a sense of duty to them. They can't live as long as I can so I am there with them until the end and it is a privilege for me to be there with them at their last moments. I don't normally cry or get that upset because I have never made the decision on anything other than knowing that the suffering had to stop and that they only had days or hours left.

I will do my duty by Cody but I'm thinking I won't be the emotional rock I'm supposed to be. I don't think he has to go right now but if they can't do anything for him I think he will be lucky to make it to the new year. With Rocky it was different - I could see his legs start to fail him and his effort to get up the stairs. With Bob's cat Bunny (the most affectionate cat I have ever met in my life) he was starting to hide and lost control of his bodily functions. With Winston, Bunny's boon companion, (the emperor cat (easily weighed 20 lbs) that we all thought would live forever) the cancer had made him a shadow of his former self and by the time I convinced Bob Winston was suffering the poor guy could no longer stand.

Cody shows no signs of old age or any sign of disease.

Except for gas.

Good Lord the gas.

Other than that, no one would know he is an old dog and for some reason this is what is sticking with me. It doesn't seem right that there is nothing that can be done. I think in this case I will wonder if there was something somewhere that could have been done to help him.

How was that for a long and convoluted post!

9 comments:

Suisan said...

I hope everything turns out OK at the vet. There's actually a lot more they can do for sinus tumors these days than they used to be able to do. Arthroscopic surgery and all. (Of course that can get hugely expensive)

Poor Cody though, getting panicked like that. That would make me crazy, watching my dog get worried over and over again.

I wish you every bit of luck with the vet visit. And with your tummy.

Anonymous said...

((((Cindy)))))
I'm hoping that all goes much better than you hope with Cody. My thoughts are definitely with the three of you.

LinnieGayl

Bob & Muffintop said...

Hi Cindy- I'm hoping Cody has something treatable- allergies or nasal polyps easily removable or something similar. Furry babies squeeze our hearts as much as human babies do. Please let us know hwat the diagnosis and prognosis is.

Kyahgirl said...

Oh, this is so distressing. Kyah had a brain tumor which had metastasized to her lungs. Of course we didn't know that til after. All we knew was that she had periodic unexplained seizures and then some kind of stroke. We knew she was very ill but didn't know how to decide when its time to let her go.
My experienced doggie friends said 'you'll know. When she is no joy to herself or anyone else, you'll know.' And I did.

You'll know what to do with Cody whey the time is right. Until then you can savour and enjoy the amazing bond of love that we share with our animals. It truly is a gift.

I'm sorry for this painful time though. I know its hard.

Dev said...

I hope everything turns out okay with Cody. Please give us an update and let us know how he is doing (and you too, of course).

ReneeW said...

Oh, I'm so sorry Cody is not well. I hope something can be done for him. It's so hard to watch our pets suffer. I hope your tummy feels better too.

Kristie (J) said...

Cindy:((((hugs))))) I hope the news is good and there is something they can do for Cody.

CindyS said...

Cody send you all big slobbery kisses! Thanks everyone for keeping me sane!

Cody *slurp* and CindyS *bearhugs!*

CindyS said...

Suisan - meh. Bob and I don't have kids so we don't need to save for college. I think we are okay with the costs as long as they aren't asking for a small mortgage - thanks for letting me know about the things they can do now. For some reason she told me there was nothing to be done but today she had something different to say. Ugh.

Thanks LinnieGayl - and so far, so good!

Bookwormom - ohhh, polyps - okay, that I can handle - I'll be hoping for that!

Kyahgirl - oh, I'm so sorry about Kyah. When it was Rocky's time it was so evident. I'm feeling much better tonight about the future and of course, Cody is here with my now and that's all that matters.

Thanks Devonna - by next week hopefully everything will be doable!

Renee - seeing him panic is hard and when you know he can't understand you it's even worse. He's resting well tonight and I think my tummy expelled whatever lodged itself in there. *fingers crossed*

CindyS