Thursday, November 02, 2006

Where's My Funny Bone?

I have completely lost my funny.

You've been here for the last few posts, right? You were trying to poke your eyes out weren't you?

It's okay, I don't blame you. I think I have blog block again. I'm sure I'll still manage to induce a few more eye-gouging remarks about my life.

Lucky bastards.

Okay, seriously, put your pen down! *ahem*

I had a doctor's appointment today - you know the fun one. My doc comes in and says 'Cindy, when did you last have an exam cause I can't find anything in the file'. 'Uhhhh, well, it's been about, uh, 8 years'. Doc: 'Okay. What made you come now?'

Hello!!! I'm thirty-six and isn't that when you should really start? Also, I had heard this thing which my doctor said was a myth but I think I'll double check just to be sure but, my understanding was that women who didn't have children were more likely to get breast, uterine and ovarian cancers. So, yeah. Time to start checking. Doc said that was a myth, which, PHEW!! cause there is nothing I can do about that!

AND, isn't having to get this done mortifying enough without having your doctor question your motives? 'Well, I haven't been getting any lately so I thought a date with that steel trapped go go gadget expanda tube would be just the thing.' *wink*

I guess she was seeing if I was coming for a reason like pain or something but sheesh! I was caught a little off guard.

Anyways, I get my clean bill of health and call Bob to let him know every thing went all right and there is a pause. 'HOLD ON! With all the salt you eat your blood pressure was normal!?' Yeah it was!! (do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight - you're welcome) Hey, sometimes it's all in the genes and yes, I'm a saltaholic.

While waiting on the Doc I started Kresley Cole's latest book No Rest For the Wicked which I had pre-ordered from Chapters. Once again, imagine my chagrin when I did a stock check at the local stores Friday night and discovered they had the book. I picked it up on Saturday, four days ago and just got an e-mail tonight (Tues) that they are shipping the book.

I now have two books to take back because I was able to get them at the store sooner than they shipped them out. Jerks. Oh and I asked them to cancel the books but they said it was too late. Yeah, you can't cancel an order you haven't filled yet? 'kay. I think they are counting on me being lazy and well, they are right to think that but, dude, these are books! I can get two more books for the ones that are going to show up!

Okay, so I didn't have to buy them but, I've been *waiting* for soooo long. I have to have the book in my hands to believe that I finally get to read it. Funny thing is once I have the book I can relax and choose not to read it right away.

I'm doing this with Cold As Ice by Anne Stuart (so if you do a review and don't see the fangirl commenting it's because I'm trying to avoid spoilers). I'm saving it for sometime in December when I start cracking up under the holiday pressure (notice I didn't say *if*).

Okay, true. I'll be lucky to make it to December but I'm going to try!

14 comments:

Stacy~ said...

Yay on the good news from the doctor. That's a huge relief.

Okay I'm up with the Anne Stuart, what's this with Kresley Cole? Her books seem to be making the rounds. Have you read anything by her before? You know, my tbr mountain is feeling lonely *g*

nath said...

Glad to hear that you are fine Cindy :D

As for No Rest for the Wicked, how do you find it so far? I thought it was a bit meh...

~ames~ said...

That's good you're in good health. I heard the same thing about women who don't have children. I think that was invented by miserable parents. LOL

I picked up Cold As Ice this past weekend-straight into the TBR. I doubt I'll even get to it by December-unless I read an absolutely fab review for it.

Don't worry about the funny-we still love you. :P

Colleen Gleason said...

Date with a metal object? LOL.

I thought it was funny.

Glad all went well with the doctor. My friend calls those visits "pancakes and stirrups."

(She's over 40.)

Suisan said...

Glad to hear you're healthy!

I went in a few months ago for basically the same reasons you did: "Damn, it's been a while."

Dear Butcher is diabetic, has high cholesterol and high blood pressure, and my Dad has high blood pressure. I was SURE the doc was going to find something.

Nope. Great BP, fantastic results on the blood work, healthy but fat. Go figure.

Anonymous said...

I tried to find the Kresley Cole last night and couldn't. You musta got my copy :-P

Mailyn said...

Glad all is well! Dude I think you are hilarious and I always find something in your posts that make me smile at the very least. You are a very funny lady!!!

Re the dietician, I don't think that's what they do. At least I hope not! I have, according to everyone that knows me, very weird eating habits. I don't think they are weird. I am just vera vera picky about how, what and when I eat. Plus I don't like most food. Supposedly the people at her office told me that what she does is try to work with what you eat and change it around adding stuff [but again only things you are ok with eating] and it's like you but eating healthier. I even asked if it was all about carrots and lettuce and they assured me that it's not because that would never work [honestly who can survive on that stuff?!?! lol] and they even said that they include some desserts!

Oh and it's not food you buy from them or anything. It's food from your supermarket or wghatever.

I will let you know for sure how it is once I go. :-)

Kristie (J) said...

I am more than paranoid about "those" exams. I told the doctor this and she gave me something to help calm me. I took it about 1/2 hour before I went it. Didn't seem to be working so I took another one. That one didn't seem to be working either so yes, I took a third one. Then they all hit at once. I don't even remember the exam! Really! I don't! I also don't remember driving home except that it was a very, very stupid thing to do and was Ron ever ticked at me when I walked into the house zoned out of it to the gills. I hit the bed and didn't get up until the next day. I even slept in my clothes that night.

CindyS said...

Stacy - Welcome!! I'm listening to your blog song - 'Shot Through the Heart!!' *sigh* BonJovi - yum ;)

I read Hunger Like No Other by Cole on recommendation from a few bloggers - Tara Marie for sure because I remember her saying 'I just shouldn't like this hero because he is soooo alpha' - I'm in!!! I then chased down her backlist and read a short story of hers in Playing Easy To Get and loved it too so I'm a Kresley fangirl and I have about 3 of her historicals to read now too! If you try her let me know what you think - oh, definitely paranormal!

Nath - thanks, I'm waiting for the tests back but I don't see anything being a problem - I'm not far into No Rest for the Wicked but I'm hoping to get some reading done tonight!

Ames - I like thinking I'm funny ;) I'm a die-hard fangirl though so it's hard for me not to read her book. Really, really hard! I was told that one of my old girlfriends had children because she had recieved bad test results had a scare. The doctor told her she would be less likely to have cancer if she had children. She never wanted children before that. Now she has two so I think she enjoys them ;) I'll have to double check that story with my mom. Maybe I heard it wrong.

Colleen - ON MY BLOG!!! Hello!! Seriously, can't wait for you book - I'm a paranormal slut lately. I can say that right? ;) Pancake and stirrups - perfect, I'll lay that one on the doc next time. Can you imagine being a doctor though. It's stirrup day - nothing but vaginas for the next 8 hours. Ugh.

Suisan - I'm healthy and fat too!! I'm not sure how it's possible! I just finished watching Doc Oz on Oprah about how to change your diet. I may just have to try what he's saying.

Meljean - I know, I read your post but *my* book was in Ontario ;) How's your effing car?

Mailyn - yeah, you go first ;) Canadian docs aren't all that great with the referrals and I think you need to be referred around here. Bob was referred to a dietician but he hears things funny. 'I can eat all the olive oil I want!!!' - uh, no. You can use olive oil instead of other fats. 'I can eat all the dark chocolate I want'. No, dark chocolate is better for you than milk chocolate. I have actually sat in a room with him and a doc and told her to explain portion sizes. Bob was floored. Poor guy.

Kristie! OMG!! Next visit take the sis with you or we'll drive down and make sure you get home alright!! Just think about how you just have to lay there and not toot on the doc. They are the ones with the icky part ;)

Cindy

C2 said...

You continue to taunt me about No Rest for the Wicked...grrr. ;-) And I didn't make it to the mall today *she whined*!

Glad you're healthy and finished with that particular chore for a year or so. :o)

Anonymous said...

My effing car is still effed, despite the new battery I just put in today, and about 2 hours of seeming to run okay (it died in front of a Subway sandwich shop, this time). And I don't think the Cole is in all of Oregon. It wasn't at the B&N I was at today, either :(

Anonymous said...

I don't mind going to see my GYN, altho she has freezing cold hands. She knows Hubby (they used to work together), so it's kinda like old home week. Catch up on the gossip, etc. Plastic speculums that are warmer help too.

BTW- I thought we're supposed to go annually. Wait till you go to have your mammograms.. THOSE are fun.

CindyS said...

C2 - I will try to no longer taunt you ...nope, can't do it. I got it, I got it!!! ;)

Meljean - the effing car needs to be shot. Now see I understand being able to handle one thing at a time but not getting the Cole book on top of the effing car? That's a recipe for disaster!

Bookwormom - Old home week - that's too funny and you're right, you are supposed to go once a year once you become sexually active. Bad Cindy! My doctor runs warm water of the steel so I haven't noticed the cold. It's the metal cranking sound that becomes off putting!!

Cindy

C2 said...

See, you've still got your funny. Meanie. :-p