Friday, November 17, 2006

OJ Yetch!

This one is a serious post so bail now if you want. I totally understand.

Why didn't OJ Simpson just disappear?

I know I will not purchase or read the book but I have heard there is an interview and I am really struggling with myself.

Ooops. I should say that I believe OJ killed Nicole Brown and Ronald Goldman without a shadow of a doubt.

I have often wondered about his children. I don't know if any child who is raised by their lone parent can believe that that parent was the one who killed the other. Maybe it's a mechanism that kicks in to survive.

I have mentioned before that I am a bit addicted to the reality shows around murders but more so around ones that are solved. I want to know how the person was caught and the evidence against them. I have seen some instances where I know the children have no clue but the evidence doesn't lie and then I've seen shows where an entire family will blame one person but from the evidence I believe the family is grasping at straws.

There is a dark side of me that wants to hear what OJ says because I'm not sure he is bright enough not to say something stupid or revealing. I want the case to be solved and yet, I know it was solved. It's just that justice was not attained. I'm also intrigued by a man who could viciously slaughter two people and not go insane. I mean, as far as we know he has only ever killed that one time. How does someone do something so horrific but manage to go on with their life like it never happened?

So, I'm wondering about you guys. Anyone else wondering about the interview or the book? Am I the worst person in the world to want to see if he reveals himself to be a monster? Course there are people who have already read the book and seen the interview and I guess if this guy did reveal himself as the monster I believe he is then we would have heard about it by now.

Maybe that is enough to keep me from watching this interview cause I so don't want him to make money off of this.

Edited: I asked Bob about this tonight and he said that watching the interview wasn't helping OJ in any way. OJ wants people to buy his book and that's that. Also, from what I have seen of him I think it's going to be two hours of him mumbling or just carrying on. I watched the last few minutes of Larry King tonight and he had a panel of people talking about this. The family of Ron Goldman doesn't want anyone to watch the interview and I think that pretty much nails it for me.

So on another bent. If I were to watch this interview wouldn't Fox News then feel justified in it's ratings grab? Then I remember that people like Charles Manson have been interviewed and I never wondered about the right or wrong of it but then, he's in jail for the rest of his life. Would I be more inclined to watch the interview if I knew that OJ was in prison serving time?

Sorry, I haven't been up much so I haven't done anything fun and this is where my brain keeps taking me.

Ugh.

14 comments:

Tara Marie said...

Would I be more inclined to watch the interview if I knew that OJ was in prison serving time?

Yes!! I would be anyway.

I half think people are hoping he'll fess up, but that's not likely.

Kristie (J) said...

I know what you mean about being tempted to watch the interview. I don't think I will though. There will be enough about it on the news and TV to get the gist of what he has to say. And for me to watch it would give him what he is so disgustingly seeking - attention.
One can only feel great sorrow for the children though.

Dev said...

I absolutely won't watch (or didn't watch if it was already on). Like Tara, if he was in prison serving time for the crime he committed (yes, I believe he did it) then I might be more inclined to watch because I'd like to know how his mind works, why he did it ~~ that kind of thing. I think it's sad that the pretty much the whole country knows he did it, but the justice system failed this time.

Bob & Muffintop said...

Hi All~ I'd say I'm mildly curious, but not enough to buy the book or watch the interview. I suffered through the entire first trial on CNN- it was horrible. If this all disappeared today I'd be a happier woman. He's a disgusting pig.

I saw an interview with the 'official lawyer' guy on CNN- who said that no matter what Simpson says, he can't be tried again in criminal court. Civil, maybe.

I don't think you're bad for being curious. Humans are morbidly curious. I love to watch the reality crime shows too. Our oldest son & I have watched Cops together since he was three. I love to watch Dr. G too.

Anonymous said...

Not gonna watch. Not interested. Offended that any publisher was willing to waste paper on the book.

I was in the first year of law school when the trial was going on. When the jury returned the verdict, the admin put a TV in the student lounge. The response by the student body was divisible along lines of race. But even the people who were pleased that he "got off" admitted that they thought he did it, which boggled my mind.

nath said...

I think it's really bad taste that he comes out with a book and that his book would be published and sold. Come on ppl! what's happening with our society?!?

CindyS said...

Tara Marie - Yes, I would be more inclined if he was in prison also and I keep thinking he'll trip himself up but if he had, then wouldn't Fox News be amping that big time? Yeah, as rambly as he is, I think he knows what *not* to say.

Kristie - That's what I was thinking also, if he does incriminate himself (which really, how can he not) then it will be reported by many. I worry for his children.

Zeek - oh his lawyers did a great job but then the prosecutors made their own mistakes. I think Mark Furman just ruined the whole thing.
I've been known to yell at the TV - I was watching an Oprah show about a teen who killed her baby and was caught 6 years later. I just didn't believe she was sorry - the tears seemed forced and I was livid. It wasn't until later in the show that you found out she had broken down in a public place with her new boyfriend and told him what she had done. So, yes maybe there was regret but I think she was pouring it on on Oprah.

Devonna - I'm hoping that A&E will play Bill Kurtis' American Justice documentary on the trial so I can get a refresher course on the evidence. How soon we forget! Seeing the system fail I think was such a surprise!

Bookwormom - I was lucky, I was working at the time and wouldn't give the trial the time of day - I think I was mad that the whole thing had become about the prosecutor's hair and the personalities involved instead of about the case. It was a long trial also though right? Yeah, I do watch reality shows about crime but I have run across my share of moral dilemmas. I remember a Texas woman was on death row and she was on TV pleading her case - I was so torn and cried afterwards because she was asking for mercy and yet, she took an axe and butchered two people while high. It is believed they also pleaded for their lives. She was executed but talk about having to face myself and my own beliefs. Hey, I guess if you do believe in something then you better be prepared to face it.

JMC - wow, I had no clue that those who were happy that day believed he had done the crime. What an odd reaction. My brother was also in school that day and said he was shocked when half the school errupted in cheers. The defense definitely did they job blurring the lines and making the case out to be anything other than the brutal murder of two people. Ugh.

Thanks Guys - I think I can safely say it isn't worth the time. He can't possibly be re-tried in criminal court for the murder but maybe he will reveal something that the Feds can prosecute him for - tax evasion? Anything.

The Browns and Goldmans did win a civil case against him but I have no clue how that could even be done if found innocent of a crime. We don't (or at least didn't) have this in Canada and I don't know how you can prove someone guilty in civil court when they were found innocent in another court.

CindyS

Stacy~ said...

It didn't interest me, but I know that a lot of people will watch it. It disgusts me that he gets any airtime or can make money off of this book, but that's how things work in the U.S.

Megan Frampton said...

I'm actually amazed some Fox affiliates are refusing to air the show. I believe he did it, I also believe he'll slip up and say something, but my goodness, how must his kids feel?!? That makes me loathe him even more. Doing stuff like that to kids is my deal-breaker (which is why I hate Courtney Love, too.)

Jenster said...

There's a small part of me that's curious, too. But definitely not enough to give him any of my time and attention.

Jen

CindyS said...

Stacy - I just heard that Mike Tyson has been hired by Heidi Flyss (sp) for her legal brothel for women. I don't get it at all. A rapist as a gigilo. One small step for man, another leap backwards for women. Ugh.

Megan - I'm surprised that there are any sponsers! Who would want to advertise during this interview? And now a word from our sponser _____.

Jenster - there is that part of me that just wants to be there when he makes the mistake. Still there are two people who were killed at the age of 25 - I had no clue they were that young! They were the same age as I was! Also, knowing that Ron Goldman didn't die right away is horrifying.

CindyS

Anonymous said...

Yeah, at the time, I couldn't understand how anyone could believe he was guilty but still be glad that he got off. *shrugs* Race and justice coexist uneasily in Baltimore, IMO.

Re: the Goldmans civil suit. I'm not a trial or plaintiff's attorney, so my knowledge of the civil suit is limited...plus, I imagine the civil suit was based on California state law, which I know absolutely nothing about. But basically, the elements of criminal and civil charges (murder vs. wrongful death) are different, with differing requirements with respect to intent and state of mind. The two charges also have different evidentiary standards: reasonable doubt in the criminal vs. preponderance of evidence (usually) in the civil. As one of my profs liked to say, a "preponderance is 50% plus a camel hair."

Sorry about the lecture. I've done a similar outline about a bazillion times for some friends of mine with questions very similar to yours.

Rosie said...

Dear Author posted some info that supposedly OJ isn't benefitting financially because of the civil judgment against him. So I can't figure out why he would do it. Of course the pub house will make money on the book. I also understand from Dear Author site that some/most bookseller's are going to donate their profits to Nicole Brown Foundation.

Even if you believed OJ was innocent (I don't) this idea is horrible. I'm not naive, I know there are people who will be interested, the pub house is doing the book because people will buy it. I'm just disappointed that these are the sad truths and an indictment of our times.

Rowena said...

Ugh, I hate that man and I'm not even in the least bit curious to see what he has to say..I could really careless. To do an interview like that, write a book about something like that??? What are his kids thinking about all this?