Friday, December 01, 2006

Cody Bear

We got the results of the biopsy for Cody and it is a cancer. What it's called I can't remember but basically one year is the norm. Seeing as how he is 12 1/2 I figure we've done well.

My BIL's dog is an eight year old Golden Retriever and the stuff they have had to deal with is unreal. Not only that, the dog looks old. I've only ever met one dog that was close to 16 years of age and their dog looks just like it. Grey hair all over her face, she can't get up without groaning and looks to be in a lot of pain. The BIL figures she won't make it through the year.

Cody will go in next Wednesday for more X-rays and a mild sedative to check his lymphnodes. At that point we might learn how invasive it is now and we can prepare ourselves and watch for any signs of suffering. Bob was very upset tonight and worried that Cody was suffering. I can tell you in all honesty that he isn't suffering. He has those panicky moments when he can't get enough air through his nose but I know he isn't in any kind of pain anywhere else.

I was considering radiation treatment which won't cure him but would keep the tumor from growing. I thought it would be in pill form (and it might be but I have to talk to the vet yet) but it looks like it is 3 days a week where they give the dog mild sedation and he has an IV in him for 10 minutes. Quite frankly, if he were a much younger dog I might try it but quality of life is the most important thing right now and since he is considered 'very old' for a dog of his breed I don't see the benefit. I would rather put him on pain pills to take care of any discomfort he might have than put him through the radiation where burns are a definite side effect. Not only that but Cody (and I'm sure most everyone on the planet) seems to be groggy for a good 24 hours after coming out of the sedation. So he would just get his pep back and have to be sedated again. Can't do that to him.

As to giving him sedation, we have discovered that that is what makes the boy gas-y! On Monday he no longer stank and thank goodness. Bob has to go away on business next week so he gets to miss the three day stink fest that'll be happening on Wed, Thurs, Fri. Ugh.

Bob said he wants Cody to sleep upstairs in our room and I said that was fine. It was quickly followed by 'on our bed?'

Hell no!

I love him but it's bad enough I have to fight Bob, Amber and Emma for a spot on the bed. If Cody climbed in *I* would be the one sleeping on the floor.

As it is, I am looking the other way when I come down in the morning to find Cody curled up on my brand new couch. I'm a smart monkey though. I put blankets over all the cushions before going to bed. That way it's all washable.

Yep. Cody finally has us just where he wants us and don't think for one moment he isn't pleased as punch about it.

Edited - I wrote this on Thursday night and promptly lost it in the new Beta version - I just couldn't write it all up again so I was thankful when I figured out that I needed to select 'All' versions to see the posts I have in draft status.

Last night Cody put his front legs up on the sofa while I was lying there (it has a chaise part which is where I was stretched out). I looked up at him and said 'okay, c'mon up'. I know he didn't know what I was saying because he didn't try to get up any further but his tail was wagging like crazy - he also does this cute thing where he puts his chin on the seat cushion and looks up at you. I kept encouraging him to get up on the couch and he just acted like a clown for 10 minutes putting his chin on my tummy and rolling his eyes at me.

I love the little fur ball.

11 comments:

ReneeW said...

Oh, ((((Cindy))))

I'm so sorry to hear the news but you seem to be handling it well (at least that's how it appears here... I'm sure you have your moments privately.) I think you made the right decision about his treatment. Puting an older dog through that kind of treatment would be so tough on him. He sounds like such a sweetheart, I just want to give him a big hug. Take care.

Mailyn said...

OMG all the bad doggie news today, I just feel so down for you guys. I am so sorry about Cody but I also agree that at his age just trying to get him to be without pain is better than making the rest of his life miserable with chemo and that. I have no words, I usually get too broken up about these things and I imagine you are feeling horrible so I don't know what else to say except we are here if you need to talk. :-(

*hugs*

C2 said...

((((Cindy)))) and (((Cody)))! I'm so sorry about the diagnosis! It sounds like he's still feeling okay and that's good...and I agree about managing the pain. Sometimes people seem to focus on how they feel rather than consider the furball's feelings. *Sending good thoughts your way.*

Bob & Muffintop said...

Oh man, Cindy. (((Cindy, Bob & Cody)))

Best wishes and love to all. Cuddle him as much as you can.

We had our dog, Sophie, a Sheltie mix, until she was nearly 14. She was wonderful and I still miss her terribly. At the end, though, mercy and compassion are the only way to go, I think.

nath said...

Oh Cindy!

I'm so sad to hear that Cody is sick! But I agree with you that at this point, it's his quality of life that matters the most. I think that ppl with pets are courageous, because well animals don't live as long. Hopefully, he still feels fine and happy.

HUGS

Anonymous said...

((Cindy & Cody)) Quality of life is everything. It sounds as if you've made exactly the right decision. Cody is obviously a sweetie, and he has wonderful, caring parents.

LinnieGayl

Kristie (J) said...

Ah Cindy: I'm so sorry to hear the bad diagnosis about Cody. Big hug to you, Bob and Cody and just keep loving and enjoying him.

Bev (BB) said...

Ah, Cindy, I'm so sorry. Love him some for me. He sounds so sweet.

Anonymous said...

Cindy, I'm sorry the news for Cody isn't good. We get so attached to pets, don't we? I'm giving The Goofy Cat a hug meant for Cody. She'll just endure it, but it'll make me feel better.

~ames~ said...

{{{{{{{{CINDY & CODY}}}}}}}}}}

I'm so sorry Cindy, about Cody's diagnosis.

Rosario said...

Oh, Cindy, I'm so sorry! I haven't been online a lot these past few days, so I know I'm very late here, but I wanted to send you some virtual hugs!