Monday, December 18, 2006

On Top Of It All

I forgot to share with you the immediate need I have for a new cooktop. I actually don't like cooktops (on the counter and then there is a separate oven) and the one we have only has two elements and then a grill. I was going to suffer through Christmas hoping that the grilling section would get hot enough.

Thing is the last few times I have been cooking, the burner elements just turn off. I haven't turned anything else on, or moved anything and it is a head scratcher. I had the carrots and potatoes on the elements and was trying to warm up the corn and do the gravy on the grill section when I noticed the water stop boiling. Thing is it's like the elements have to cool down and then they will for whatever reason, just start up again.

Not conducive to me not having a stroke on Christmas Day.

I loved my oven at my last house and of course, it had to be left behind. Bob loves this unit here because it has a downdraft and Jenn-air is the only company that makes them so he wants to stick with them. Their cooktops are kind of ugly and I think I'll have to spend almost 2000.00 to buy one (they have removable cartridges and since I need 4 burners I have to buy them separately - yeah, I'm not that kind of rich!). I could buy a proper, gorgeous new stove with 5 burners, a warming tray and an oven that would fit a 25 lb turkey for much less!

So, I'm cranky. We aren't going to be renovating the kitchen for a while so buying an oven that I love is out of the question as I can't put it in anywhere. Crap. I also know that if I don't buy one today there will be a melt down on Christmas Day.

Hmmm, maybe I should make Bob responsible for dinner. Let's see how he does.

If only.

6 comments:

Bob & Muffintop said...

I'm definitely in the 'Bob cooks Christmas dinner' camp. If he won't pony up for a stove & oven you both agree on- well, he just needs to cook! LOL

~ames~ said...

Why do you have to work in less than ideal circumstances? Make Bob responsible for sure! I hate cooking.

C2 said...

Another vote for Bob cooking! :-D But, if he is unwilling, do you have a gas grill? If not, do you want one to use by the new pool? They're on sale this time of year and, if you get one with a side burner, it might do double duty.

My mom sometimes does turkey breasts in a big crock pot. They stay really moist but the downside is they don't get as brown.

Hmmm...no more brainstorms from me.

Anonymous said...

I've never really understood the popularity of separate stove tops and ovens. My aunt has them separate, with the oven at counter level, which is kind of cool. Except it seems like both the oven and stove top break down pretty regularly. A kitchen reno is scheduled, including a stove w/ oven.

CindyS said...

Bookwormom, Ames, C2 - don't know if I can be that much of a grinch but I can sure bitch while the kitchen falls apart - win/win ;)

JMC - I think if you have a huge (and I mean HUGE) kitchen it would work but the way this one is laid out is very small and I don't use the cabinets under the cooktop so it's wasted space anyways.

I'll update.

CindyS

Bev (BB) said...

I was smart when the kids were small and started a big tradition around here. No big Christmas meal! Therefore no cooking that day for anyone. We basically snack all day. Everyone picks their favorite Christmas treats which can all be prepared or bought ahead and we go the deli buffet route for most everything else.

Course it helped that that was the way the ex's family did Christmas on Christmas eve to begin with so we just carried over to the next day with my family and the kids.

But I like it because it let me concentrate on the kids and the presents. And then resting. :D