Sunday, December 17, 2006

Ponderings

1. Am I the only person right now that is sick to death of these 'meaningful' movies?

I'm not sure what my problem is but I don't want to watch anything too deep (Blood Diamond) or uplifting (current Will Smith movie) or even historical (the CIA movie coming out with Matt Damon (who looks too much like my brother for me to watch fall in love!) and Angelina Jolie). What happened to movies that are just for entertainment (Night at the Museum is the only movie out that *might* fit the bill)? I want to see something that will make me laugh or feel good afterwards.


2. How is it that a 10 lb turkey only has about 5 lbs of white meat and just managed to feed 4 adults tonight!? I have 12 people on Christmas Day for dinner and I'm suddenly wondering if I will need a 40 lb bird! In reality I'm thinking a 22 lb turkey and if we don't have any leftovers then all I can say is that 22 lbs is not the same today as it was when we were kids. We used to eat leftovers for a week and I know for myself that I don't eat very much on Christmas day because I think exhaustion sets in. I'm more likely to overindulge on the left overs so there better be some!


3. Our furnace is set at 71 F and I often wonder if this is typical of others or are we running hotter or colder? We used to have the one in Celsius with the little plastic push thing but now ours is all digital and programmable. We had a programmable one at the old house and tore it out when we woke up one too many times freezing our hinnies off because the battery had died and the furnace didn't turn on while the temperatures were at 20 below! There was a day last week when the thing decided to die and sure enough there was a day without heat so this fancy thingamabob is on notice.


4. Why is it when you are looking for that *one* thing you find it in the last place you look? Bob was all in a tizzy because he couldn't find our Christmas music and decided it was in the closet of horror (this is where all my books are). Tonight I decided to trudge up there and start pulling boxes out - I should mention that for moving to a house twice the size of our last one, the room that houses the closet is quite small - add to that the treadmill, floor sander and all the Christmas gifts and wrapping table and it becomes claustrophobic. Sure enough I moved every single one of those boxes you see to the right (okay, it doesn't look like much but *starts adding* there's about 20 of those brown boxes and then 10 of these white ones that have magazines in them and there are very heavy!). I only opened a few because I didn't want to get misty eyed over my books. I opened those boxes that weren't labeled (wonder who packed those) and found the CDs in the very last box. Even so, I am missing more than I found but at least we can have holiday music playing in the background now.

So if you will excuse me, I'm off to play with the metric converters so I know how many kilograms the turkey needs to be and yes, I know it needs to be over 9 kgs but I would like it to be more specific (in the US are your turkeys tagged in lbs? We switched to metric when I was like 8 or 9 but the elders never really took to it and it was something my brain couldn't handle but at least I can 'guesstimate when I am in a store). I will also need to know how long it will have to be in a fridge to defrost AND if it will fit in my oven AND how long it will take to cook. I always add an extra hour to the suggested cook times.

We like our turkey dry.

9 comments:

Carla said...

1. I hardly watch films so I don't recognise any of those, but I certainly agree with you that I watch films to be entertained/amused/excited.

2. Beats me :-) And 12 people for Christmas - I take off my hat to you! My record is 9, for which I think I got a 15 lb turkey and we were still eating turkey sandwiches for a week afterwards. The Neverending Turkey used to be as much a joke as the Neverending Story :-)

4. Because all the boxes unpack themselves and move around when you're not looking. Books especially have a life of their own :-)

Hey, your birds are back on the top of the blog. Cute.

Megan Frampton said...

The son wants to see Night At The Musuem, and I have such a THING for Owen Wilson, I'll do it gladly. My MIL gets a 26 pound turkey to feed 13+ people, there are leftovers for a few days for four people. And of course it's in the last place you looked, because you stop looking after you find it, right?
I have to find your Xmas discs, the Spouse did his, but I was too wacky crazy to mail one out to you--you still want? It'll get there after the holiday, but it keeps until next year.

Jennie said...

I really want to see The Holiday and Eragon. They're supposed to be fun movies, I think.

I have never cooked a whole animal, so I can't help you with the turkey. Though I do know that they are sold in lbs. here in the US. We don't do metric.

My dad always kept our house at 68 degrees in the winter and there was a constant fight over it because that is freakin' cold. And it's still cold these days because my mom is doing menopause and she dies if the heat is up too high. I take lots of sweaters home with me for holidays. ;)

Bob & Muffintop said...

1. I hardly ever go to the movies, but Son #2 just saw Eragon & liked it. He's 11 though, so who knows? I've heard it's very similar to Anne McCaffrey's Pern series though.. Night at the Museum does look funny.

2. I personally love leftovers & we routinely buy the biggest turkey/roast/chicken (whatever) we can find. Thanksgiving we had a 23 pound turkey for 5 people. Delicious!

3. I've gotten colder every winter, despite living in a mild climate, so I'd be sunk if our thermostat was on the fritz like that. I keep it set at roughly 68-70 degrees F and wear sweaters and cup my hands around mugs of hot tea and coffee.

Stacy~ said...

That's interesting because I'm feeling the exact opposite and actually want to see more meaningful movies. I haven't seen Blood Diamond or Pursuit of Happyness, but I want to. Don't care much for the CIA movie. Now I just need to find time to go to the theatre...

C2 said...

1. I agree that around the holidays isn't the best time for deep meaningful-ness at the movies...don't most people want to veg out and be entertained after all the shopping and wrapping and visiting and eating? But the movie folk want to be fresh in everyone's mind for the Oscar race so...

2. My mom does two good sized (the biggest she can find at the market) turkey breasts (no one in the fam likes dark meat) for 25 people but we have ham, too.

3. I keep my house cold, if I don't have company (I have a programmable thermostat, too). I keep it on 66F when I'm up and about and 62F overnight. I once lived in the draftiest apartment ever and it warped my comfort level. LOL

4. Of course you find stuff in the last place you look! Why would you keep looking after you've found it?? ;-) Do you have digital cable? My lineup includes many music channels - including two that are all Christmas from November to January. I love them!

CindyS said...

Carla - turns out my math was wrong and it's 11 with two of them being kids - but the one kid packed half a bird away at Thanksgiving so I'm counting him as 2 ;)

Oh!! I would so love it if my books would bring friends but L-space sounds a little spooky for me.

Megan - Doh! I'm going to pull the 'what I really meant to say card ;)' was that the last box was going to be the last place I looked even if the CDs weren't there.

I know you've been busy so no worries about the CD - you can keep it for next year or we'll do another bookswap and you can mail it in with those - cause like you say Christmas CDs always keep!

Jennie - I think I might be being a grinch about movies. I want a fun sci-fi movie :( 68 degrees - brrrrr. Sweaters. I should remember that except other people keep their homes so hot that I usually wear sleeveless tops to stay cool and the Malls - just one huge melting pot!

Bookwormom - I forgot Eragon was out but I it's not really a Bob movie - he would go and see it and probably love it but I wanted something different for us.

Wow - 23 lbs for 5 people - yep, couldn't come to dinner at your house because I would feel some pressure ;) Course I eat more the day after than the day of so I'm hoping for leftovers - I'm going on a bird hunt tomorrow and I'm looking for a busty one ;) As to hot cups - I don't drink anything warm so no hot cups.

Stacy - Then you are definitely in luck - I was watching a program that said the movies that come out during this time are the best the studios have to offer and are usually Oscar contenders. They call it the 'Adult' vacation and thus cater to us. So it's either super serious or kids stuff. I want a little inbetween to take the edge off ;)

C2 - yep, Oscar contenders come out swinging but I'm so not in the mood to cry or be overcome by depressing information that I already feel ineffectual in deaing with (Blood Diamonds). I just need a little laugh during the holidays - something Bob and I can go to and just relax.

Your mother rocks! I'm overwhelmed by the 11 people coming and everyone is bringing some of the dinner!

I think you've gone reptile on us ;) That is really, really, really cold - when you sleep you must stay right under the covers whereas I have to have my legs out so I need some heat or my brain wakes me to wonder where my feet are since I can't feel them ;)

I know. I did my 'meant to say' up above - I'm so silly. Yes! I just got information on three holiday music channels so I think we might be set!

Cindy

C2 said...

REPTILE?!? Excuse me! I resemble that remark! LOL I do stay under lots of blankies - that's one of the reasons I keep the temperature so low. Sooooo cozy!

The thermostat is set up to warm up the house before I get up so I don't shiver while getting ready for work. ;-)

CindyS said...

C2 - yep, I was a warm blooded young girl with a miserly father who would turn the heat down at night - since I was the first person who had to get up for much of the time I lived at home I was forced to live like a reptile and my warm blooded ways hated it! I can't even tell you how cold I was because I would have to get up and shower and I swear I could see my breath - okay, exaggeration but it was super cold!!!

Cindy