Monday, December 11, 2006

Mission Alpha Bravo Accomplished!

I've decided to give the weekends mission numbers. Yes, I'm a sci-fi geek.

It turns out that this weekend was really a lot of fun!

Ten pin bowling was hilarious and the people at the party (the ones we gravitated to) were very down to earth and fun to be around. Since it is a small company there were only about 30 people there and I pretty much met everyone.

I'm just horrible with people's names but I just payed extreme attention during the introductions. There was only one moment of panic while I was in the washroom washing my hands after bowling when another woman came in and started talking to me. I knew I had met her but I just couldn't find her name in my brain (not that I should have worried since we were just gabbing but I kept thinking 'oh shit, oh shit, what's her name!'). It wasn't until we were at the table and she sat beside her husband that I remembered her name - their names were Dan and Danielle so I had mentally matched them up and my brain didn't recognize each without the other. Isn't the brain fun?

I called it on the dinner.

I changed my order from prime rib to a steak because I figured my tummy would be better without the gravy - turns out I wasn't the only person at my end of the table who insisted on a well done piece of steak. I was the last to get my dinner but I told everyone to start their dinners but Sam sitting next to me insisted he could wait until my dinner came (I had waited till his salad came before I started mine). I get my plate, ask about the steak dips (didn't want to eat anything with cream) and scared the poor waiter silly when he discovered the potatoes had cream. I think he thought I was allergic (which really, maybe I am but only in the very slightest of ways) but I assured him that was fine. Knowing is half the battle so I only ate a small part of the potatoes. It was when I cut into the blackened steak that I saw the blood pour out. I couldn't believe it! The gentleman across from me saw me cut the meat and then put it aside. Since he also order his meat well done he pronounced that I just couldn't be made to eat the raw piece of meat - hey, it wasn't like I was going to! I told him it was fine but they called the waiter over to take the plate back (I grabbed the guys arm and whispered to put it in a to go box and I would eat it at home).

So question, will it be okay to eat tomorrow if I fire up the grill and cook it till it's dead? We'll see.

Today we did the best buddy mini-Christmas and we had a great time. I was a mess last night because I looked at what I had bought everyone and thought 'are you kidding me!?'. I swear, it's like you don't know the people you are buying for and yet, I DO!!

My one best bud has her significant other and no kids like Bob and I and her thoughts on Christmas are pretty much mine. We came down the stairs and she says 'Merry Christmas! Ah screw it, got your straight jacket fitted yet?'. Yep, them there are my peeps.

Course the best buds deck their halls, I mean, these guys are gunning for best decorated house of the year! Bob and I leave and he's all, we have got to get our shit together! Best bud number one collects Santas and for the first time we went to her house for a quick pop in so we could see her decorations (they live 5 minutes from each other while we live 45 minutes away so we usually only go to one person's house at a time - who ever is hosting). Bob was a wee bit scared of all the Santas but at least her collection is useful.

Then there is mine.

Tonight I got an addition to my monkey collection. I never intended to start a collection but with the two best buds and a family who loves my reaction to monkeys - it was made to happen.

I need to find the scary ass monkey picture (it a ceramic monkey head that is freaky!) and post it for you - since that gift I have been looking for a scary lady bug (something my friend loves) and I thought I had nailed it. I'm talking a huge, pink stuffed lady bug with pouty lips, long eyelashes and sparkles on her antenna - she loved it! Just when I thought I had her. Maybe I'll just buy her a scary clown - everyone hates clowns!

So we have made it through the first jolly weekend. Bob had a bit of an upset stomach today and I thought he had a fever. I'm just praying it was the rye and gingers he decided to drink at the party. Bob rarely drinks and guys are usually trying to get him to drink something. Bob loves Crown Royal and gingerale so forgetting my panic attacks I told him to go ahead and have some - I'd be driving.

Five rye and gingers later he figures he's good.

The man may not drink often but he holds his liquor well. I'm just thinking his body is all 'what the hell is going on!?'.

One can hope.

7 comments:

C2 said...

I prefer to not worry if the steak might decide to leave the plate before I'm finished. :-D It doesn't have to be crunchy or anything just thoroughly cooked.

Glad your parties went well! However, I sense a story dealing with monkeys. Share??

Kristie (J) said...

I'm glad things went well for you - minus the too rare steak that is. See - you don't give yourself enough credit!! You need to be the little and tell yourself "I know I can! I know I can!"

Bob & Muffintop said...

I'm with Zeek on the food, but 5 Rye and gingers?? LOL

CindyS said...

Zeek - that's me with Mailyn ;)

C2 - Oh my. Are you sure you want a monkey story? I'll have to wait for tomorrow so I can take a picture of most of my monkeys - I thought I had unpacked them and then came across them in a box when I was looking for something else!

Kristie - See, I always get through the day so I tell myself to stop worrying because every thing always turns out alright. My brain however doesn't like that game. Too easy ;)

Bookwormom - oh, oh, I feel a re-telling of Bob's Bachelor party coming on ;)

CindyS

~ames~ said...

Sounds like a nice evening. Nothing too crazy. :P I like my meat very well done too. Even with my own cooking I'm afraid I don't cook my food long enough.

Cooking scares me.

Moving on-what did you think of the 10 pin bowling?

Anonymous said...

Cindy, I'm with you on the rare meat. Why? Didn't cavemen find fire to solve this problem? Why waste that innovation? The B-I-L (cook in the family) believes that steak should only just be seared. Ick. Learned the hard way not to eat red meat when he's cooking.

What is it about bowling that loosens people's inhibitions? I have a holiday potluck party this week, and we are duck pin bowling (it's a Baltimore thing, I think), and I'm wondering if the party is going to be as raucous as last year. Loud is fun...but the volume from that particular group (none that I would peg as bowling fans, too snooty normally) was a surprise.

mailyn said...

So question, will it be okay to eat tomorrow if I fire up the grill and cook it till it's dead? We'll see.

LMFAO!!!!! I would have made them cook the damn thing before they gave it to me. I mean, it's not free! Or was it? LOL.

Zeek, my mom, and actually most people I know, eat meat. And chicken, and ducks, and horses and frogs so a cow steak is not going to gross me out. LOL.

Now cheesey, well. that's a whole other country. I will, and do, puke if I smell it anywhere near me. God that stuff even SMELLS like puke! LOL.

I agree with c2. Monkey time!!!!! LOL