Saturday, July 22, 2006

Bitten & Smitten


I bought this book when I saw that Jay was reading it and I liked the blurb and I'm on a real vampire kick right now.

It didn't work for Jay but I was lucky.

I'm going to suggest a B- for a grade and I find that writing this review is hard because the book kinda sits in that so-so territory.

Cindy Blurb: Sarah's on a blind date and gets bit by a vampire, the vampire is slain by hunters in front of her and then they turn to kill her. She runs away sees a man on a bridge and begs him to help her although it's obvious he's contemplating suicide. The guy on the bridge just happens to be a vampire too.

Aside: You live 30 years without ever hearing about vamps and hunters and in the space of an hour meet 3 hunters and 2 vamps. *shrug* Let's roll with it.

Thierry (which really I have no clue how to pronounce so in my head it rhymed with fiery) decides to help this newly created vamp since her sire has been killed and what the hell, he can kill himself when he's done.

In short - Sarah doesn't believe, ow, ow, ow, I'm dying, Thierry says drink blood, ew!, she gets over it, gets in deep with vampire hunters because she's a walking disaster, Theirry says she has to leave her old life, screw you!, people are always trying to kill her and she keeps running to Thierry for help. There's also some other characters in the book, whatever.

First this isn't a romance. I went into it thinking it was chick lit which was a good thing for the author or this would be one hell of a rant. I checked the spine at the half way mark and some dumbass had put paranormal romance on the spine. Okay, there is an attraction and some fooling around but there was no sex. None. Now, I know there are books that don't have sex in them but you all know how I feel about romance books without sex. If you're new, here's a recap (hot damn, it's fun referring to my own posts. What?) So, no nookie, no keeper.

With that out of the way I really enjoyed this story for what it was. Just a wacky tale about a chick with a sense of humour going all vamp. Nothing ground breaking here but I can tell you this, I started this book on Friday when Rocky was sick and it kept me going through the day. Not only that but it had me laughing out loud and that's hard to do. I didn't finish the book until last night and I was amazed that when I went back to reading I remembered who everyone was and what had happened up to that point. Very rare because like, really, bad memory.

There were the situations that I shook my head at and wondered how someone could be so stupid but hey, she's not claiming to be a rocket scientist. Also there is another guy in the story set up as a possible love interest and yes I had to end peek so I knew which guy she would end up with. I think it's funny that authors will keep the 'real' hero off screen and mysterious while the other guy runs around with the heroine and holds her hand and helps her out. I would have liked the twist if she had ended up with the other guy but I'm not going to spoil who the guy is or anything.

What else?

Oh! The book is set in Toronto! I live one hour away from Toronto and I have been where it's set although I have no idea what an aqueduct or some such is. I liked reading a book set near where I live which may have also up the ante of me reading it.

So there you go. It's really up to you if you want to try this author.

Hmmm, I'm not really selling it am I? I guess that's just what a good book is, it's good and nothing more than that. Wow. Kinda the first time I've read a book that I enjoyed but am more than willing to part with. Cool.

On a completely different note. No really. Strap in.

You know how I'm on a break with Brockmann? Well, her new book is coming out in August and I have discovered the stirring of curiosity in myself.

Yes.

I hate myself.

I was wondering if anyone else was going to be buying or borrowing her latest. Once I read the blurb I cooled off a bit because it looks like one of those stories where the H/H have sex in the first few chapters and *then* they have their conflict.

Blergh.

2 comments:

~ames~ said...

Thank you!!!

Thank you for telling me there's no sex, because I too like sex in my books. LOL

Vampires and sex go together, to keep them separate is wrong.

CindyS said...

Egg-zachly!!!!

CindyS