Sunday, July 16, 2006

Soggy & A Book

Thanks for all the well wishes. I can't tell you how nice it is to know that there are people who understand what the loss of a pet can do to them.

I'm pretty sure Cody doesn't know which way is up. Bob hasn't left his side until tonight when he went to bed and he's been with me most of the night. I put him down about an hour ago and he lasted a half hour before he started to howl. He hasn't howled since he was a puppy. I think he was really missing Rocky and I let him howl (I love the sound he makes) for about 10 minutes. Then I couldn't take it and went to get him so he's with me now, sound asleep.

I know that Cody has to grieve but I can't imagine just letting him be by himself. Bob was talking to a friend who had seen a wolf documentary and how the wolves basically, slept, woke up and groomed, played, hunted, played and then went to sleep. One of the pack members died and for 6 weeks, instead of playing they would go to the place where their pack mate had died and circle it while howling for hours. Then one day, they stopped and went back to their old routine.

I'm guessing that Cody is going to grieve much the same way although hearing his mournful howl tonight and knowing it was due to grief was too much. Cody is an Australian Sheep Dog (not a shepherd or a cattle dog) and I don't know if others know this but when he is sad or hurt he can make the most haunting sounds. He used to do it as a puppy but I think growing up with dogs that didn't howl, he changed his ways. I guess he is going back to what he knows.

Okay, before I get too weepy - *too late* - I'll tell you about the book I am reading.

Bitten & Smitten by Michelle Rowan.

I think I'm lucky in that I went into the book with low expectations. I'm not done the book yet but I am having a great time. I actually laughed out loud at some of the situations!

So far, I am considering it a Chick Lit book even though I checked the spine at the 3/4 mark and it says Paranormal Romance. Let's just say, there has been no lovin' and you all know how I feel about that! I did have to peek at the end because a love triangle started to emerge but now that I am further into the book, I see there isn't really a triangle.

Yep.

Can't stand the love triangle. I'm left wondering who I should be rooting for and then, well, I want a threesome.

Bad Cindy.

It's the only way to make sure no one loses! The only threesome I have read is the LKH series and they were okay until Micah showed up. *blergh*

How's that for TMI ;)

Cody woke up and I put him down again to see if he can cope. So far, nothing. I'm thinking he will start the mournful wail again in a little bit but this time I will be heading to bed so I will have to listen to his grief.

Poor Guy. I know we are going to change the routine of his life drastically now that we have only one dog (I will tell you what happened today in that backyard in another post) but I don't want to do a 180 on him and have him wondering what the hell happened!

Oh! Anyone know about how to transfer a video recording onto a disc? Like, do you know the names of companies that might do this? We have a great homemade video called the Dog Days of Summer starring Rocky, Cody and Bullwinkle. I would love to put it on DVD and maybe even upload some of it so you guys can see the funniest dog crash I've ever seen. I tell you, we only watch it every once in a while but every time we do, we laugh so hard we can barely breath!

Edited: Okay, blogger has two more days to get their picture input thingie working again or I may have to learn a whole new set of rules for blogging. I know many changed to Word Press so I may have to look into it. Whadya think? Is Blogger trembling in fear over my threat? Yeah, that's what I thought too.

6 comments:

JR's Thumbprints said...

My wife and I have a Black Lab, approaching fifteen years, which is unusual for the breed. So we understand what you're going through, and soon we'll have to have our dog put to sleep. --Jim

CindyS said...

Jim - Awww, I just went to your blog and saw a picture of your guy. He reminds me so much of Rocky. Aren't they they best? They'll do anything for you, until they see a squirrel and then your on your own ;)

I wish I had taken more pictures of Rocky but like I said, getting him to stand still was like trying to catch water with a sieve!

CindyS

Marg said...

It's strange you know. I'm not having any trouble with uploading pictures at all.

Kerri Wall said...

I"m not having any picture trouble either Cindy.

You know, when Linc can do something I can't he calls it "user error".

*ducking*

Fi

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're liking Bitten & Smitten. You got much farther than I did!

CindyS said...

Ahem.

Marg and Fiona - I'm not sure I am reading your comments right. Are you suggesting that *I* am the problem *arches eyebrow*. In that case I better go check that dashboard thing because I remember toolin' around on it so I bet I cocked something up good!

Jay - I was really surprised because I knew you didn't get far so I picked the book up with some trepidition. Okay, I used tongs.

CindyS