Sunday, July 09, 2006

Quirkie? Why Didn't I Think of That!!

This story I found on Yahoo news just goes to show that anything is possible. Maybe even my quest to make money one day. You know. And still be lazy.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/07072006/3/canada-paper-clip-house-14-trades.html


I just wanted to gush a bit about my day.

I invited my family over for a BBQ and swim because we knew the weather was going to be hot and nice. My 'family' means my Mom, Dad, Aunt Nora (dad's sister), cousin Sabrina and her boyfriend Chris. My brother & family are always welcome but they live an hour away so they aren't normally in the equation.

This invite however, had to be turned down by my parents because they had other plans. Suddenly I am worried that my Aunt Nora might be bored or feel like a fifth wheel - which she isn't but I know how people can feel. That's right, I don't think we've ever had the family without everyone so I was nervous and my anxiety flared up and I'm taking a new pill for the tummy which has side effects that include feeling pukey.

Great.

I get up this afternoon and Bob tells me the pool is 71 degrees. Uh, yeah, I'm the only idiot that gets in at that temp so I'm freaking but, you know, inside.

Lo and behold Bob decides to turn on our pool heater (insulation inside the metal box has fallen off and it's in our basement and we think it could be a fire hazard) for the first time and I'm thrilled to death because, holy cow, the pool is now 73 degrees! We keep an eye on the heater and the basement feels like a sauna but by the time we're ready to get in the pool it's 76!!

Not only did Bob and I get in but Sabrina got in and then her boyfriend who doesn't swim got in and then tada!! Aunt Nora got in which is rare because anything under 80 degrees doesn't happen.

We had a ball in the pool and everyone was in and I was a happy camper.

I BBQ'd and felt sick after dinner (figure it was the meds) but God Bless Bob because he thinks nothing of clearing and cleaning up after dinner. Thank God because I felt like if I moved it would be game over. So yeah, I was a bit stressed but we sat out talking and taking the air for an hour.

THEN - oh, I know, the excitement! - I ask if anyone wants to play Trivial Pursuit 20th Anniversary (supposed to be about the last 20 years) and they said YES!! I've had the game for two years and no one would play with me but we finally cracked the box.

I should mention we cheat and hint and play it all wrong but that's what part of the fun is! I think Sabrina's boyfriend was disgusted with us because we aren't serious about the rules but he didn't get up in a huff so everything worked out.

They didn't leave here until close to midnight and I even jumped back into the pool at 11pm - my first night swim this year!! because Bob kept the heater on just for me. It was only 78 but as long as you just jump in and then start swimming for all you're worth, you warm up pretty fast.

So yeah. I had a great day today. It was scary and anxiety producing but I got through it and it ranks as one of my best days ever.

I love it when that happens!

Beautiful Day - Live 8



Now, if only I could decide on a book to read. Them 'great book blues' can be a real bitch but I'm going blog hopping - thank goodness for all the readers and writers out there that share their reading and parts of their lives with me.

If it wasn't for that I would be climbing the walls!

6 comments:

Kristie (J) said...

Cindy: Glad you had such a great day. I know from personal experience what a good thing it is when what most people would think is normal, is a mountain for some. And you climbed that mountain!

And *sigh* I wish someone would play Trivia Pursuit with me. I love that game.

~ames~ said...

Glad your day turned out great. I love playing games with my family. I have a hilarious memory of playing Guesstures at my grandparents, and my grandfather was the craziest player. LOL

And I've never played TP.

sybil said...

I LOVE trivia pursuit and no one will play with me either :(

just one more thing to add to kristie's book party

oh and cindy... devil in winter :)

ReneeW said...

What a fabulous day! You handled it very well. I'm jealous about the pool. We've had unusually hot weather and dip in the pool sounds wonderful. I LOVE Trivial Pursuit too. We used to play it as a family years ago but everyone got bored with it and no one will play with me any more either. :(

Sybil is right.... I'm reading Devil in Winter right now and ... loving it! Hero is a dark bad boy and totally yummy.

Mailyn said...

did I rant and rave about the Black Jewels trilogy yet? cuz I've been doing it so much I swear I forget who I've told. lol

glad to hear your day was so much fun! especially the pool party. those are always a blast. damn it now I want a pool. lol.

CindyS said...

Kristie - yep, normal is weird ;) At the book party we can play TP!

Ames - playing games is definitely part of our family fun - the real TP is impossible - well, for me so we have the 'stuff from the last 20 years' TP. You know, stuff that has happened while I've been alive ;)

Sybil - now I'm going to hoard Devil in Winter! I wonder if there is an online TP place where we could all gather and play?

Renee - Like I said to Ames - the *real* TP makes my head hurt but I like the easier versions they've been coming out with. TP was the game of the 80s and lost ground there for a while but I have hope that the family will find the love again. - Right now, we're an Upwards and Sequence family (U only 4 players at a time and there is more of us)

Mailyn - off to read your blog and see about Black Jewel - I think I have the first book somewhere - I can't think about it or my head will explode!

CindyS