Monday, October 16, 2006

New Shows - Edited Uh, Just One Today

Valeen has a roster up of some of her new favourite shows and I thought I would do a quick run through here.

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip - I shouldn't be watching this show because I already know what is going to happen. No, I'm not the writer, I just *know* the writer.

Okay, not really but - hey! I'm explaining here!! Ahem. The executive producers (or writer and director, whatever) are Aaron Sorkin and Thomas (I call him Tommy. Yeah, we're tight.)Schlamme.

Let's take a little trip down memory lane now shall we?

There was a show called Sports Night and it rocked our socks! Bob and I adored that show like nothing else. If you ever see this show you will see the beginning of Sorkin's bantering techniques and Schlamme's uh, producing (okay I thought this guy was a director). Anyways, the show suddenly ended and by suddenly I mean every story was wrapped up so fast the thirty minute time slot felt like a race track. I was bitter but I figured it was the ratings. (they say it was - kay) Anyways, every time I see one of these original actors turn up on a show I am thrilled for them. Don't always watch the show, but happy for them.

We'll call that a slight burn but at least the story was wrapped.

Their next gig was The West Wing and the fangirl in me just couldn't wait for the show to start. It was friggin' brilliant. A smart show that didn't talk down to the audience and helped to enlighten those of us with little love of politics some insight into what makes these parties tick.

All the same, it was the relationship of all the characters to each other that was brilliant. Only one person ever took the President to task and no one else. Everyone was eager to be there and to be making changes. For the first four years it was like watching the greatest story ever told. Then during the break I heard disturbing news. Aaron Sorkin wasn't coming back. WTF!? From Wiki - "Soon after, Sorkin and his fellow executive producer Thomas Schlamme left the show in a dispute with the network." The 'soon after' means just after Sorkin was found with drugs.

I watched the next four episodes of The West Wing and was so hate filled towards it it was awful. CJ was standing over the president and yelling at him to get his crap together. For the first part of the fifth season I did not see any of the characters who had been created by Sorkin. They had all been sucked of their charisma and charm and VOMIT!!!!

I have never been so angry about something like this. I refused to watch any more episodes although my Dad convinced me that the show was still really good. I sighed and tried again only to see the President tell his best friend that they should part ways and then he wanders into the trees and has a heart attack. I believed he was dead and didn't care to see anymore. The show was no longer what it was and I didn't care. I left it at that although my father said he didn't die. The real life heart break is that the man who played this character, John Spencer really did die of a heart attack a year after that episode. I really loved John Spencer as an actor and he is sorely missed.

Let's call this one a 'burn'

So then I hear about this show coming called Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip and I see, Bradley Whitford(whom I love) and Mathew Perry (who I super love) and then Amanda Peet!! Well, I'm thinking it looks great but there is something very familiar from the previews I am watching.

Then it clicked.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Aaron Sorkin and Tommy Schlamme.

Any one want to lay odds that this is going to end badly for me? This time, it's my own fault. I went in knowing who these guys are and I'm praying that they don't get 'burnt out' or 'drugged out' or whatever. Let's just hope that this one sticks. Even so, it's no West Wing.

Oh, were you hoping for a summary of what this show is about? Basically these two guys (who are very familiar because they are loosely based on Aaron and Tommy) get hired to re-vamp a show for a network that is not being creative enough. They have to take the gig even though the network had gotten rid of them before but now that they are big stars they want them back. Problem is the studio's new uh, person knows that one of the men tested positive for cocaine and thus would not be able to direct any movies for two years because of insurance. He could however, direct this show. The writer guy refuses to bail on him. So they are basically re-vamping a Saturday Night Live kind of show. I enjoy the comedy aspects of the show. Dammit.

I'm going to get pulverize by this show. I just know it!

Okay, since I have to go to bed real soon that's all you get for now ;) I'll do a few more next post because lucky for you, there is no background to cover.

You gotta admit though, I can hold one hell of a grudge. Does me no good but I can hold a grudge!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now you have to remember Sorkin LEFT West Wing and it was after THAT, in my opinion, that it went down hill!

Anyway I missed the first one of this show, caught the second and taped the third ... I'm gonna watch it tonight before the new episode. I'm on the fence with this one ...

Anonymous said...

Oh sorry about that first comment- for some reason I missed you SAID THAT. Damn, I'm a dork.

He got caught with drugs??? Wow, didn't hear THAT!

(I loved the beginings of WW, too!

Rosie said...

Cindy, this was hilarious because last summer when the LA Times did a preview of the fall TV season my husband and I had a conversation very similar to your post. My DH LOVED West Wing and he still isn't over the dispute between NBC and the Sorkin/Schlamme team. The show was never the same.

Anyway, isn't it a teensy little bit comforting to know there are others out there in TV land as poised for the coming disaster as you are?

Mailyn said...

I don't watch TV. I do have a few favorite shows which I LOVE but, believe it or not, I forget to watch them. LOL

Anonymous said...

I keep meaning to watch Studio 60 (despite Brad Whitford -- I really didn't like his character on TWW and have a hard time disassociating the two) but I keep missing it.

TWW pretty much sucked after Sorkin left, with the exception of one of the very final episodes. It was all about CJ and what she was going to do post-White House, and it was awesome. Allison Janney and Timothy Busby totally stole that episode.

Loved Sports Night, too :)

CindyS said...

Zeek - you had me going with that first comment - I was all, uh-oh, I posted before I went to bed, what did I say!! Yeah, Sorkin was caught I *think* in Europe which is why he's not doing time. Also, (like you will see on Studio 60) he seems to write 90% of the show. He doesn't delegate well and after 4 years he was completely blown out. I can see how that would be near impossible to maintain. I didn't begrudge him the drugs when I heard what his work week was like. I'm hoping that if he is committed to this new show then he will take the precautions he needs to maintain the show.

Rosie - It is good to know that there are others who feel just as strongly. I figured I was the only person who even knew who Sorkin was and who the new writers were and how the show SUCKED. Ahem.

Mailyn - you are a better person than I! TV is a mainstream with Bob and I but then we say we are simple people. Curling up on a couch (not here yet!) and watching TV together seems to make both of us real happy. Course, we're like cats - we just drape ourselves over the other and veg - okay TMI but I said, we're like cats, they drape and then they sleep ;)

JMC - I *love* Bradley Whitford but boy, he has gained weight (not that I should be judging) and looks older in this show. Maybe he did it for the character as the character is supposed to be coming back from an addiction. You know what, he doesn't really have a central role on the show right now. It's more about Perry's character and the actress playing his love interest. Let me know if you like the show.

CindyS

CindyS said...

JMC - I can't find info on Timothy Busby - who is he? Did he come in later in the show?

CindyS

Anonymous said...

I thought that was the name of the guy who played Danny Concannon, the redhaired reporter who disappeared after a couple of seasons. He reappeared in the last season or two. I'm gonna have to check imdb....

And I had the name wrong: it's Timothy Busfield...and he's on Studio 60, too, apparently. Even more reason to try to watch now. Although looking at the publicity photos, his character Danny looked much more scruffy and charming on TWW.