Friday, October 13, 2006

TBR Pile Redux

So I've noticed people posting pictures of their TBR piles and well, there are some very shocked people running around. In all honesty, I didn't want to bring up the number of TBRs I have because I realized that maybe I have the most. (I have heard that Ames has a huge TBR pile and Kristie braved posting pictures of her pile). Now, there are readers over at AAR who claim to have close to a thousand books TBR. Let's just say, if I don't start reading soon I will be up there with them ;)

My second blog post ever was about my bookcases and since all my books are packed away I am going to reshow them here. (Seeing my old bookcases all crammed with books makes me a little teary eyed!)

If you would like to take a gander click over to here.

Other news?

In my ennui (depression) I went over the Chapters.ca and dropped some coin. That always seems to lift my spirits.

I first pre-ordered some books. I've never really done this before but the few times I have, I have found that the books show up either weeks before the street date or the day of. I'm thinking that should be good enough.

No Rest For the Wicked by Kresley Cole - I'm waiting for the video review from Dear Author. I won't care if others hate it or nothing but I love their video reviews so I'm eager to see what they are going to do.

Cold As Ice by Anne Stuart - fangirl! Would sooo stalk her if she lived near me and would probably be the only person that I would meet and immediately be struck mute. I have seen people get all weepy for a celebrity but I always think they are just like me only famous so I wouldn't make such a fool of myself. However, if I ever meet Anne Stuart I will immediately become a nightmare to be around because I will fawn and stare adoringly like a love sick puppy. I figure nobody is ready for that Cindy to show up so it's best she live somewhere I've never heard of.

Thief in a Kilt by Sandy Blair - liked her first book, *loved* her second and have high hopes for this one. What is scary is that it's been probably close to two years since her last publication and I don't see any mention of what comes next on her website. This author reminds me of the old Julie Garwood.

London's Perfect Scoundrel by Suzanne Enoch - I've only ever tried to read her contemporary and I'm pretty sure I never finished it. I usually write authors off after one bad experience but will the polls I have been doing for AAR this book seems to come up a lot. I'm hoping where there's smoke there's fire.

Megan's Mark by Lora Leigh - I'm thinking it was Ames who reviewed this and put a excerpt up. The review and the excerpt sold me. I'm thinking it's a hot paranormal and that seems to be right up my alley lately. Also, in my quest to read more 'new to me' authors this one fits the bill.

Ill Wind by Rachel Caine - I have seen this book reviewed a few times favourably so it went on the TBB list. I don't think it's a romance book because there was a mention how it was such a great book and it even had a little bit of romance. I also seem to recall that it's funny and I like funny.

The Panther and the Pyramid by Bonnie Vanak - Kristie reviewed it and said it was hot. I'm in. Also 'new to me' author.

Finally, (yes, I'm wrapping up) I am having one of those days where I am forever hungry. I only have them about once every few months but they always scare me. I'm afraid the hunger will never leave and I'm also afraid of making myself sick. I eat till I'm full and think, 'great, done' only to have my brain trigger the 'need more food' button. I mean, I don't need more food, right? It's just my brain or hormones are all whacked. Ugh.

Wow, I'm being such a whiner lately!

17 comments:

Kristie (J) said...

Nothing like a little book buying to take one out of the doldrums is there? The only trouble with preordering upcoming releases is the lack of instant gratification we so desperatly crave sometimes :) And it must be killing you to have all your treasures still in boxes - I know it did me!

Kyahgirl said...

Cindy, those book shelves are gorgeous. I hope to have some wall to wall shelves some day. Until the basement is finished and while the living room is still the office/spare bedroom/play room, my books will have to stay in boxes too.
I know the joy of ordering, just did that the other day. I got a gift cert to Amazon from my boss. It was like christmas, I ordered a bunch of books I found in the buried treasure at AAR and a couple that were recommended by other readers. One non-romance I ordered was one I saw Chapters advertising-it sounded intriguing-a study of how the rise of feminism has begun to lead to a culture of marginializing men! I have my doubts but would like to hear what they have to say. :-)

Kyahgirl said...

god, sorry to blather so much!

Dev said...

I read London's Perfect Scoundrel and really enjoyed it. I haven't read the others, but I've been wanting to read Megan's Mark since Ames reviewed it. Maybe one day.

RT Book Reviews said...

Hi Cindy,
Anne Stuart is currenlty answering readers questions on our Ask the Author message board. She'll be there until October 23rd.

Natalie,
Romantic Times BOOKreviews

dancechica said...

Ill Wind by Rachel Caine is a fantasy, not a romance but the romance is a big part of the plot...and there's also some setting up for a love triangle. It's pretty interesting. Hope you like it! :-)

Mailyn said...

OMG I should so go and stalk Anne Stuart at that message board!!!!

Cindy, right there witcha on the fangirlism. I did think Black Ice was stoopid because of that TSTL heroine that should have DIED but I still love her to bits.

A Rose at Midnight just makes me forget anything else she has written that might be crappy!

~ames~ said...

Woah am I feeling the love in today's post! Woohoo-it sure chases the doldrums away. LOL

I've got Ill Wind in my TBR too. I've heard hints about the love triangle, and I love those. If done correctly, the sexual tension is amazing. (I'm now wistful for early Anita Blake.)

Kyahgirl-which book are you talking about? I love reading feminist books. :P

Mailyn said...

OK, I just totally stalked Mrs. Stuart. Mehehehe. I hope she doesn't think I'm a nutcase.

Now it's your turn Cindy!

Kyahgirl said...

Ames, its called Legalizing Misandry, from the Mcgill press. The link goes to Amazon. :-)
I'll let you know how it goes.

Anonymous said...

Cindy,

I love your bookshelves! I was so disappointed when I saw your husband made them (and incredibly envious). I'm looking for new bookshelves and yours are what I want!

LinnieGayl

Megan Frampton said...

Cindy:

Life has been sucky lately, hasn't it? (No, I am clearly not trying to cheer you up--just commiserate).

I pre-ordered Cold as Ice too, only every time I see or hear it, that damn Foreigner song goes through my head.

Anonymous said...

*sigh* I LOVED Ill Wind. Read it. Read it now. It's definitely not a romance but it has romance in it. Though I'm not sure about the love triangle Ames mentions.

Rosie said...

Cindy, those are some beautiful book shelves. I read Megan's Mark and enjoyed it, but I'm a Lora Leigh fan.

CindyS said...

Kristie - Bob and I 'taped' the floor to see how the bookcases would fit in the room. So far, there aren't enough of them! I had a blast ordering books online because I had over 60 bucks in certificates so it's like getting books for free. Yeah, that's how my mind works ;)

Kyahgirl - Aren't wall to wall bookcases just fabulous!! We moved to this house in June and it was only as I was packing up my books at the old house that I realized A)all our bookcases at the old house were built-ins and B) our new house has NO bookcases. It was very upsetting. Bob's off this week so he has said that the bookcases are top of the list. *sigh* Can't wait!

Oh and you can never 'blather' too much here - ever - let me know if you ever want to do a post ;) I also buy many books that aren't romance but they revolve around decorating, architecture and *cough* self-help. I like to look at the self-help books and think, I could read that but, nah ;)

Devonna - okay a positive for LPS - phew!!

Natalie - uh, are you sure you want me over there? Ah, screw it, I'm soooo coming!!!

Dancechica - thanks for telling me about Ill Wind - if I go into a book expecting a romance and get more fantasy etc then I get cranky. Knowing the book isn't marketed as romance keeps me in line ;)

Mailyn - my least fav. book of hers I think was called The Widow but every thing else by her for me is gold. Does that make me a rabid fangirl? Nah. It's not like I have to hunt you down and make you cry for dissing Black Ice. See how calm I am ;)

Ames - you are always loved! So it must have been Jay who recommended this book. I know you did Megan's Mark and now you have to tell me how many books you have in your TBR pile. C'mon. Pretty please!

LinnieGayl - woohoo!! You made it! Yep, I know exactly how lucky I am to have Bob. I'll have to tell you some of the funny things Bob did before he met me. He now tells me I'm his inspiration. Whenever he tells me something just can't be done I just tell him to sleep on it. He has this brain that works out problems while he's sleeping. The worst is when he wakes up and has to tell me every minute detail on how he has solved the problem. I'm all 'Dude, I knew you'd solve the problem, just do it!'

Megan - Great. Now I have the song going in my head. Somehow I managed to miss that horror until I read your message! Did you hear about the friggin' snow that landed in Buffalo and on our border. That's an hour away from us and they got slaughtered. Hard to keep thinking fall is so beautiful when you see pictures of trees with leaves still on them bent over by the weight of the snow. Note to self, close pool.

Jay!! Playing hookie from lawschool for a bit. Good for you! Okay, I think it was *your* review that had me scouting this book. I just got an e-mail from Chapters saying it's on it's way!!

Rosie - thank you! I do miss them but I figure now I get to re-design things over again. This will be my first Lora Leigh so I am definitely excited!

CindyS

~ames~ said...

Cindy-this is a secret. I went to the bookstore on Wednesday (or Thursday) and I bought two more books. So my fiction tbr pile is now up to 237. Shh! LOL

I'm afraid to count my non-fiction. :(

Sandy Blair said...

Hi Cindy,
Love your site!!

Thanks for the lovely comments about my work. Truly. I hope you enjoy A THIEF IN A KILT as much.

As for the next, it's A HIGHLANDER FOR CHRISTMAS, my next time travel, scheduled for release October 2007.

Have a great day. You certainly made mine!!
Sandy