Thursday, October 19, 2006

Toronto!! Really?


Just to bring you all up to speed, I was 28 when my panic attacks got so far out of control that I started my descent into agoraphobia.

I have had panic attacks since I was 10 years old and yeah, they're a bitch. Anyways, I had been married to Bob for 3 years and hadn't really had an attack outside or my 'trigger zone' (eating with people / eating in restaurants/ eating with family / eating with my family IN a restaurant (shoot me now!!)). In all honestly, I didn't know that things could get worse and mama, they got worse.

I went to The One Of A Kind Show with my best friend and her sister and little baby. I was fine for the most part and was having a good time. Okay, the heat in the building and the speed with which my friends had to gaze over each piece - let me tell you, we only did 1/4 of one building ( and I think there are three buildings) in the two hours we were there started to be a bit much. While we were there the sister started to get an upset stomach. Well, I get those all the time so I gave her one of my peppermint pills but I didn't realize it was my last one. All of a sudden I started to worry about what would happen if I started to get an upset stomach! (Yep, that's the crazy) I calmed myself down by telling myself we were in a huge building with tons of washrooms so really, it was fine.

Until my best friend turned to me at 5pm (this will mean something in a moment) and said we had to leave so that she could get back for her show rehearsal. I looked at her like she was nuts. We are in a major city in North America, we live an hour away on a good day and she wants to leave in RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC!!!

I should also mention that the only person who knew I even had panic attacks was Bob because I told him before we even dated. I decided to get all my crap on the table in the beginning ;) So we start for the car and well, my friend's car was tiny and we don't even get out of the driveway of this place and we are in stop and go traffic. Each time I saw red brake lights my panic would roll over me. It was like bigger and bigger waves crashing into me. I considered telling my friend to pull over and just leave me behind (I knew I could call Bob and he would come find me) but how did I even start to tell her what was going on. And it was late November/early December and it was freezing and I doubt anyone would leave someone out on the side of a highway in the dark and drizzle no matter how much they begged.

It was an hour and a half of pure hell. I think I must have had rolling panic attacks all the way home all though the last half of the trip is something I barely remember. I got home and crashed into Bobby's arms completely spent and that was the day my world turned over.

Ever since then Toronto is like my own Mt. Everest. There is no one except Bob that I would head into that city with for fear of ruining someone else's plans. I have been around Toronto and have traveled farther than Toronto over the years (was in Illinois with Bob on business and had a panic attack at the border but I kept moving forward). Still, Toronto feels like a city I *can't* get out of if I need to. Last year Bob drove me down the main street of Toronto but we didn't stop or try and shop so I know we can drive on through it.

Tomorrow (today) we're going shopping.

I'm excited and scared all in one but I know I can do it with Bob.

With all the decorating that I love to do Bob wants me to see the things Toronto has to offer and I have to say I want to see them too!

So, I'm staying up. I had a nap from 10pm to 2am and will stay up for the morning and into the afternoon so that we can hit the stores early and without traffic concerns.

Hopefully tomorrow night I will have a list of stores we hit and a story about how Toronto is no longer that scary.

Okay, maybe I pushing it with the last part of that sentence but one can always hope!

Geez, I'm sitting her editing the post and thinking about how nice it is to be so open about my life and that I have a bunch of people all over the world who come here and visit me even when I'm rambling on about my boring life.

I'm telling ya, I've got tears in my eyes!

Maybe it's PMS ... right! That's what it is!

No really.

Fine!

15 comments:

Mailyn said...

Cindy you know we are on the same page and I understand you completely. Did you see my Craptastic Post the other day? I had a panic attack at work and all hell broke lose. Not to mention that my father disowned me because of it. Yeah, read it and have a laugh. I know I do now. LMAO.

I totally know where you are coming from.

I also have known you online and, despite what you may think, I KNOW you are strong. It's easier to cave in and stay home but you go places! Even if you go with Bob, you GO!

I know you can do it and, if things start to get a little out of hand you have Bob there and he knows EXACTLY what to do. He won't let you down.

Have fun! I loved TO when I went there a few years ago. You will love it and just think of the book shopping! Hehehe.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

*major bear hug*

Mailyn said...

P.S. <-- how much do I love this?!?!

:-P

OK, so, if it starts getting bad just think of the sexless bunny! Or a TSTL heroine! Mehehe.

nath said...

You know Cindy, I believe that you are a very, very strong woman. I have to say that I don't know anyone in real life (sorry blog folks:P) that is bipolar, or suffer panick attacks, or has agoraphobia and you, Mailyn and DC are nothing like I thought these people would be. I assume that some of the people who suffer the same problems as you, DC and Mailyn let those problems ruin their lives. You don't... you found a fantastic husband, you're renovating your house, you go shopping, you do trip to go see Kristie. You're willing to try and you're strong. Man, actually, you know what? Your life sounds much more interesting than mine :P

Tara Marie said...

Cindy, My mom suffers from panic attacks and for a couple of years she also spiraled into agoraphobia, it's very scary and I'm amazed at how much you fight it.

I hope your day of shopping goes great.

Kyahgirl said...

cindy-I don't know what to say on this because I haven't experienced it. I must say I think you're a gutsy lady to look this in the face and take it on. And thank goodness Bob will be with you too.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you come up with for the house on this trip. But hey, if it doesn't work out, no big deal. Just come home.

We're here, sitting around in your computer, waiting to give you big hugs! :-)

Kristie (J) said...

You can do it - I know you can. So - relax on the trip, think of all the neat things you'll be seeing, know that Bob is with you and won't let you go and just enjoy.

dancechica said...

*shakes pom poms*

YOU CAN DO IT!

Okay so I’m not much of a cheerleader. So boo! :-P

No seriously, I know you will be fine. Like others have said, you have Bob there to lend you support. And also like others have said: you are very strong. I know it’s not easy to live with these things that are outside of your control. It’s hard but you’ll get through it and have a great time. Remember, when both your hands feel full, there’s always someone here who’s willing to lend you theirs. *hugs*

Megan Frampton said...

you go, Cindy!

I've had a few panic attacks in my day, not as bad as yours, clearly, but I know some of how you feel.
Yay for you, and yay for Bob for totally understanding.

Post what you found, I can redecorate through you.

Holly said...

Aww, Cindy. I know you can do it, babe! It'll be tough, but you can handle it! :)

I have panic attacks in the car, too. Not really anywhere else (Well, I do have them at home occasionally when I'm getting ready to go somewhere), but I sort of feel your pain.

I'm so glad you have Bob to lean on, though.

((((((((CINDY)))))))))

We're all here to support you. YOU CAN DO IT!

Dev said...

I hope you have a fun-filled day with Bob and since he's already aware of the panic attacks, maybe it will cause less anxiety for you?

I used to have panic attacks when I was a little girl. Sitting in cars was awful!

I hope you find some good stuff in Toronto and you post all of your finds when you get home!

~ames~ said...

I'm a bit late getting here, but I hope everything turned out okay. :P

C2 said...

((((Cindy)))) It will be fine! It sounds like you've already come so far. That's awesome!

I can't wait for the trip report! :o)

Nicole said...

*hugs* you can do it!

CindyS said...

Damn. You guys are making me weepy again ;)

I tell you, knowing that I have such a great support system in the world helps me immensely! As I said in my Toronto post - I blogged about it, I have to go now!! ;)

I am so very blessed and having wonderful friends in the real world and on line is a blessing that is hard for me to express.

Thanks everyone!

Group Hug!

Cindy

Rowena said...

((((((((((Cindy))))))))))

Love you girl!