Wednesday, August 24, 2005

My B Graded Reads

Since people are plopping down some coin on my keepers I thought I better get cracking on my reactions to other books I have been reading this year. Hey, you need some sort of measure to gauge my opinions by.

Today are B reads. That's B+ to B-.

Secrets of a Summer Night by Lisa Kleypas - B - absolutely wonderful except that I wished Simon and Annabelle became friendlier sooner in the story. Historical. I think this is what is being called the Wallflower series and I think those were the parts that detracted from the story also.

To Die For by Linda Howard - B+ - from heroine's point of view (which is not my fav. and why this book may not be a keeper). It took a bit to get into the story but I enjoyed it and love the hero also. I missed the man's point of view and quite frankly there is a point where a reason for something should be brought up. The reason was lame and I was pissed. Couldn't figure out why the heroine didn't make him beg a bit. Hmmm, I'm not sure I'm that good with the grading.

When He Was Wicked by Julia Quinn- B+ - my first Quinn and I loved it (just thought I should mention, I usually don't feel the need to read a series in order unless the H/H are the same). I'm not good with long separations and then I thought maybe the heroine was in denial. That may not have been the case, but it was how I read it. I was delightfully surprised by the sex scenes because they are rated as warm but they read to me as hot.

Yours Until Dawn by Theresa Medieros - B - Blind hero who falls for his nurse. Twist near the end that I don't think I saw coming (can't remember looking back). There was a scene near the end that made it a bit icky for me but I wrote in the journal that the last few pages were beautiful.

Echoes by Erin Grady - B - Time-shifting story that is not a romance (at least to me). It was more of a mystery or maybe a thriller because the mystery wasn't hard to figure out. It kept me reading and I was intrigued to see how it would all work out and well...like I said, I don't classify this as a romance. If you want spoilers let me know and I will e-mail you.

A Man In A Kilt by Sandy Blair - B+ - I wrote that I thought this book was fantastic but that it needed to be fleshed out more. Again, invokes Garwood. TT. The relationship happens real fast in this story which is why it wasn't graded higher. Yeah, I think the book could have used a few more chapters.

Moon in the Water by Elizabeth Grayson - B - I loved this story and it was set on a steamboat. Absolutely refreshing. The parts I had problems with are certainly my own. I'm not patient and let me tell you, this hero was patient. I was like, c'mon already, just tell him!! Anyways, this is a great break from suspense filled romances. There were bad guys but, it was really about two people learning to love and trust and adapt.

Hello Gorgeous! by Mary Janice Davidson - B - "At first I was afraid, I was petrified..." You'll be singing that song for the rest of the day. Your welcome. It's true though, Derik's Bane made me quake in my....sandals? Even though I enjoyed the story it was the secondary romance that had me cheering. I love it when people who seem so wrong for each other fall in love and dude, the guy was evil!! Main story, they meet they fall head over heels in two nano-seconds - needs a bit more meat!

The Viscount Who Loved Me by Julia Quinn - B - The more I think about this story the more reason I have to dislike it so I don't know why it is graded this way. Anthony has planned to marry so and so and well, he knows he will die young. Ho-kay. I get the whole gonna die part (there is a reason why I won't fly anywhere and it started when I was 10 and no, I don't plan on getting over it) it was his resistance to what was in front of him. The chick's sister!!

The Duke of Sin by Adele Ashworth - B+ - I am probably one of the few who didn't get Winter Garden but, onwards and upwards. Story about two people on the outskirts of society finding love. I like that there were no easy answers to any of the questions in the book.

Wanting Something More by Kathy Love - B+ - hmmm, are you ready for what I wrote in my journal? Nate and Marty. Second chance for Nate. Just a love story-well done. Yeah, how does that sit with you? I think I was miffed that Nate was not who I thought he was going to be. You see him in the series and he is an ass. A real ass. So there I am, all excited to see how the author was going to pull the rabbit out of the fire (seriously) and wham, she took the easy way out. I was somewhat pissed ... okay, I was pissed for a while because this was not how I saw things going down. I'm beginning to wonder if my grading system needs work.

Breaking Point by Suzanne Brockmann - B - I refused to grade this book for a while and I still don't like grading it but I realize that is because once again, I was expecting one thing and got another. Hey, you don't sit waiting for someone's story for 4 frickin' years and not get disillusioned. I love Max and Gina. Love them! And they so deserved a better story. One that wasn't action packed and had characters coming from every nook and cranny. Just them. Damn, I'm bitter. I really thought I wasn't bitter. I suck. Oh, and to continue in my bitch-a-thon, one sex scene in the present (yeah, you'd have to read the book). C'mon! On that note, I'm thinking of giving her a rest. She's on a rest also but, I don't want to get roped into another couple and then get high hopes. Not good. Never thought I would think like that.

My next post will be on books below C which usually means I finished it with mucho reluctance to did not finish and no, I don't suffer Ds or Fs, I'm not a professional reviewer ;) That said, I think I need a grading sheet that tells me 'if there are X number of things that piss you off, then the grade is Y'. I'll work on it.

And in honour of my visit with my two best buddies and a wee two year old boy :

"In loneliness, in sickness, in confusion-the mere knowledge of friendship makes it possible to endure, even if the friend is powerless to help. It is enough that they exist."

Pam Brown
Have you hugged your best friend today? The Friendship Page Now I just have to wait until Thursday night for my very best friend (Bob) to get home from a business trip :( Course, while he's gone I might rip up some carpets. Nah, reading sounds much more fun!

No comments: