Thursday, August 11, 2005

What I am Reading

Just a quick note to let you know that I am reading Marian Keyes (ooohh, I like her website!)The Other Side of the Story. I'm not sure why I decided to pick up the book. I have read Keyes' Watermelon which, even though funny, was a wee bit depressing. Also there was the TSTL section which had me fuming and wanting to kill the heroine for the last 1/4 of the book.

I guess I wanted to give Keyes another try and on a table at the bookstore there were like 12 copies of it and I liked the cover. It has a 2004 copyright date but maybe this was out in Hardcover because it was in the new section at the store.

Anyways, I am really enjoying the story although I was worried because the theme of a man leaving his wife was the opening salvo. I didn't understand how this book would work but now I understand the title and I think it is going to be a very good read. *crosses fingers*

Only problem is I can be intimidated by a book with more than say, 380 pages. I just looked and this book has 648 pages...makes me weak in the knees. I have never read Outlander because of the sheer volume of pages that book is made up of (864 pages). I don't know about others, but I may just count Keyes' book as 2 reads and if I happen to try Outlander, I'll count it as 3! ;)

As an Aside: Tonight I saw parts of the 1980's movie Red Dawn, which I had loved so much as a teen and had me sobbing for all the characters. (I'm saying parts because there were commercials and it seemed that there were moments in the movie that I remembered but weren't there). It was still very touching all these years later and made me think of all the reasons that I am grateful that my nation is at peace and how blessed I am to be Canadian. I'm thinking of renting the movie so I can watch it in it's entirety.

Cindy

No comments: