Sunday, August 28, 2005

Random Bits

My to do list is getting out of hand. I have two printers on my brand new Dell that 'it' doesn't know are there. Yeah, I need to call tech support but I keep putting it off - not sure why. I keep thinking it is something I am doing but I bought a new printer cable (usb) and hooked it up and it still didn't know it was there. Now, I figure, it's not me. Enough procrastinating - I better call them tonight - happy day they have 24 hour support. Oh, and I have to crawl under my husband built desk and figure out which cables are which - he built it so you never see the cables - makes it hard to fix stuff when I'm in the dark under the desk.

I have to make up a trade wish list - it's like making up a birthday wish list. You know what you want but, everytime someone asks you can't remember.

I have to go buy about 6 cases of bottled water - they're heavy and carrying them is a bitch and again, procrastination. I finished the last bottle last night and my fridge filter needs to be changed so I'm sitting here trying not to grimace as I drink my tasteful water. Ugh.

Finish the other house. That'll take another solid 4 weeks which is seriously cutting into my reading time!! Tonight I went and learned to put up drywall so progress was made. That said, we only got the top 48" boarded in the big room. We still have 2 huge rooms ceiling and walls to do. Putting the stuff up is not so bad, it's the taping and filling that is a mighty bitch. That alone could take a solid week and that is only if Bob's arm can hold out. (He hurt it during the last job taping and filling and the doc told him to rest it or the damage would be permanent. That was one year ago so I think we are in the clear but repetitive motion is a no no.) Yeah, then there is painting, triming, hanging doors, putting in floors ... I feel faint.

On a side note there is this TV show called Property Ladder on TLC. I mean most of these people are total morons! Half of them figure screw the budget we'll just buy everything and put the price up higher on the house. Not only that, they are using granite/marble (which is very expensive in Canada) and have contractors working for them! This show tonight had these two buffoons making 197 000 dollars!!!!! They went 150 000 dollars over budget! Bob and I have decided that the California market is an entity all unto itself. You can't pull shit like that up here. Bob's worried people will see these shows and think it's easy to make big money on flipping houses. We're on our second house and we are all very tired and we do all the work ourselves because putting in a kitchen can be 20 to 30 thousand dollars. Bathrooms are always 10 thousand dollars for contractors so we are completely shocked when this show has people having a budget of 5 thousand dollars for a kitchen. With Granite!! A granite countertop for a standard 10x10 kitchen is between 8 and 10 thousand dollars up here. Yeah, and we haven't made the kind of money these people make. Hmm, jealousy rears its ugly head. Next!

This one is great. My husband no longer wants to live in the house we have been in for the 10 years of our marriage. Hey, that's great, I never wanted to move in here when we got married!

Problem, he doesn't want a mortgage. Yep, you read that right.

We did an agressive 10 year plan and got our mortgage paid off last July. Now, our house is not grand by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, that's one of the reasons my husband is ready to move on. We don't have a garage, we're in a 3 bedroom 1958 bungalow so no modern ammenitites like walk-in closets and posh bathrooms and ensuites etc and our yard is not huge but, it is bigger than the new postage size lots that come with these new mega homes (Mattamy Homes - gorgeous and the builder is conscientious - Bob's family bought one of these houses - mind you they have the parents, 3 grown men (sharing the mortgage), one with a wife and one with 2 children and believe it our not they all have their own bedrooms and a laundry room upstairs!). However, Bob wants all this and a bigger property!! Hell, he wants a separate work shop and of course a room with 10 ' ceilings and beautiful windows to house my library (ain't he a sweety for thinking of me). Still, I've yet to see anyone get something for nothing. I'm waiting for Bob to figure it out. He's not a stupid man - he's quite bright and is well paid at his day job. It's just he's not happy at his job, wants to quit and move to a better home. Hey Dorothy, time to wake up!! Course you can have it all - check out this house - separate indoor pool! We'd just have to leave all we know behind!!

Yikes, I've gone on a bitchy rant here so I will list the new movies I bought yesterday to soften the blow:

Say Anything - I keep seeing this listed as people's favourite movie and my rental place didn't have it so I decided to buy it on DVD. Oh, and the song is a classic - In Your Eyes - scroll down and you can hear a sample if you are completely boggled ;)

The Postman - Kevin Costner - one of his better films but then, I have a thing for alternate reality movies. I haven't seen it since the theatre and the copyright says 1998. I think that would be about right. My panic attacks were starting to take control and I was worried that my mind wouldn't be on the movie. Half way through the movie I was hoping it would never end. Have to see if it stands the test of time.

The Wedding Date - has a wonderful line and made me want to own a copy so it was on sale. Woohoo. The only thing that bothered me was Dermot Mulroney's voice. I couldn't figure out if he was putting it on or if his voice was always like that. I'll have to re-watch My Best Friend's Wedding to find out. The things I have to do ;)

Just Married / There's Something About Marry - I'm a bit of an Ashton Kutcher freak and this movie was fun. Hmm, I love the TV show That 70's Show and will basically see anything any of these actors do so I'm not sure if I am a Kutcher freak or if he is just making way more movies. TSAM - came in the pack and is not my kind of movie. I just don't get Ben Stiller (the hair gel scene made me gag) but my husband liked the movie so it was either 15 dollars for JM or 19 dollars for JM and TSAM. I went with the double pack.

Okay, I think that's all for now. I'm going to go change my water filter and call Dell.

Yep, I'm bringing it old school here on a Saturday night!

No comments: