Tuesday, September 05, 2006

I Have A Confession To Make

I read Lover Awakened over the weekend.

Okay, settle down. I know I said all that stuff about how much I love Bob and it is all very much true.

I can explain!

It started on Saturday night with a power failure.

Nope. Not kidding.

Bob, bless him, woke me from a nap at 8:00pm to tell me that the power had just gone off. Uh, yeah, no power? Could you have just let me continue to sleep?

Apparently not. So I get up but since I lived in this area as a teen, I already know that the failure is going to be longer than most people's failures. Also, keep in mind we have been here almost 3 months and this is the second power failure. Blergh. Oh. We also heard the sirens which means something happened that wasn't expected.

Now, it's 8:30pm and candles have been lit and Bob who usually goes to bed around 10pm is starting to nod off because there is nothing to do and if Bob isn't moving and his brain ain't working everything shuts down.

9:30pm. I have been sitting in front of the gas fireplace watching the flames for an hour. I'm getting antsy and finally call my Dad who is 5 minutes from here and tada! he has power. Ugh. Then I decide to call my best friend to shoot the shit for a bit but hey, her kids need to get to bed and her MIL is in the hospital and I know how precious her sleep is so I let her off the line.

10:30pm. Little bit desperate so I decide to get out the handy dandy battery operated light thingie (it's actually huge and casts quite a light) and read from the book I started a couple of days ago. That won't suck in me in but will keep me occupied. I begin my search. Can't find it anywhere. I wake Bob up who is snoring on the couch and he can't remember seeing it. I search again.

Now I know I'm in trouble.

See, I'm not about to start another book. Just not going to happen. If I can't find the book I am currently reading there is only one other book I'm going to reach for.

Turns out can't find the book. (I think it might be in the van outside now but I still haven't found it)

That's when I broke.

I took Lover Awakened off the tippy top of the TBR pile and decided I could just read until the power came on.

Yeah. Most addicts say they can stop when they need to.

It was pure bliss (okay, I have some issues but I'll dish about that later). The power came on about an hour and a half later but it was exactly that many hours too late.

I had my family coming on Sunday for a game night because we knew the weather was going to suck so I had to be in bed at a decent time but it was 6am before I was able to leave the characters where they were.

I woke the next afternoon craving the book but I didn't go near it.

Family came and we had a great night and they left at about 1am and Bobby had already fallen asleep in his chair so I shuffled him up to bed, grabbed a drink and plunked down in the chair to finish reading my book.

*sigh*

This is now one of my all time favourite books and it is definitely my favourite Ward book. Yeah, it was mucky and emotional and horrifying and even embarrassing. There were some other weird male things going on also but hey, I'm all good with it. (V and Butch)

So, there you go. I didn't wait until tomorrow but I didn't lose any time with my Bobby or my family and really, it was a good fight for my willpower.

I mean c'mon! I lasted almost 2 hours with nothing to do. I mean nothing!! I was scoping the house for other things to keep my brain busy, I was trying to find the book I had already started I mean, my willpower rocks!

Oh, all right. I cracked.

Now, I have that junkie daze on my face and I don't care what anyone thinks!

10 comments:

Kristie (J) said...

I knew you'd cave and read it. I knew you would :)
Everyone who's read (and only hinted) at this one seems to have loved it. It's still not out around here although I checked Chapters yesterday and there was an empty space where it looks like they had copies - but they got all sold.

CindyS said...

Oh Kristie - do you like this series? I would call some of those small mall stores and see if they have them in.

There were extenuating circumstances!! and that's my story and I'm sticking to it ;)

Yeah, I want to talk about the book but I know that many don't even have it yet so I don't want to spoil it for others. Also, there were so many wonderful scenes between Bella and Z and yet, I find her books really do revolve around the male.

Damn, I am so going to gush when I can figure out what to say!!

Cindy

Bev (BB) said...

The power came on about an hour and a half later but it was exactly that many hours too late.

Yeah, and like a second would've been fast enough to stop you?

Uh-huh. ;)

Dev said...

I think I'm the last person on earth to read this series. Never fear, I'll be picking this one up at Costco tonight and then will be hunting for her backlist this weekend.

Mailyn said...

LMFAO!!! I knew you would! I just knew it!!!! LOL!!!!

if Bob isn't moving and his brain ain't working everything shuts down.

OMG you make poor Bob sound like he is 80. LOL.

I'm waiting to borrow this from soneone. The series lost me with book 2. LOL.

ReneeW said...

Why am I not surpised, hmmm? But listening to Bob snore is not exactly quality time so you have a good excuse. Might as well make good use of your time. I checked 3 bookstores this weekend.... no luck. I'll probably order it online and be the last person on the planet to read it as usual.

CindyS said...

Bev *sniff* I resemble that remark!!

Devonna - DON'T DO IT!! You'll get sucked in and then you'll be a rabid fan and you'll become like me, wishing the next book was out already!! I really am a mess.

Mailyn - can't fool you ;) No, Bob's not 80, he's 79! Nah, he's 48 but Bob is an Aries and a high octane kind of person. He is always moving and doing things. I mean, this house was almost completely unpacked the night we moved in and I didn't unpack a box!! My family is used to it and now just get a chuckle when they hear him snore. He gets up everyday by 6am even without an alarm and he's 'ON' all day and crashes at about 10pm (that's about an hour later than it used to be). On work days he's up at 5:15am and he wakes up all happy and shit. Can make a grumpy morning person want to commit murder!

Renee - make it a break in case of emergency read!! I'm wishing I could read this book all over again without knowing anything. On that note, I'm going to go bang my head on a wall until I forget ;)

Cindy

Mailyn said...

LOL!!! For a moment there I was reading and I almost bought that he was 79! Then I kept reading. LMAO.

Quick! Tell Bob to get off the happy pills! My best friend is like that. How can some people be so happy ALL the time?!?!

It's a mystery to me. lol.

Anonymous said...

ooh, so you succumbed to temptation huh? what a pretty neat excuse (wink, wink) too -- the power outtage! bet you enjoyed every single word of it.

hmm, Devonna, that makes two of us who haven't picked up this series. judging from cindy's 'rabid fan' obsession, I'm verrra curious.

Dev said...

The fact that Cindy's begging me not to get it, makes me wanting it that much more. I've already become a rabid fan of a handful of authors, one more shouldn't make me any more delirious than I already am.