Saturday, September 30, 2006

Snipets

First, we closed today on our old house which is great news because we are no longer carrying two of everything. Still, I went on Thursday to make sure the pool looked good and I was surprised to feel a bit blue. Bob took me back that night to see the changes the people have been making over the past month (the buyer is a cop so we weren't worried about letting them into the house to paint and stuff since we weren't living there). I got a little teary eyed but Bob felt that the house was tiny.

He said he would miss the living room because he could see the kitchen he built from his lazy boy and watch the fire in the fireplace. I said I would definitely miss our kitchen since it was only a few years old. We were eventually going to put granite counter tops in but we never got to it.

It's weird to leave a house that had everything the way you wanted it to come here to a house that has nothing like the way I want it. Even the pool makes me a bit blue. We had an above ground pool at the old house and it was 5' all across so no deep end. I used to go swimming at 3am and watch the stars and it was my own piece of paradise. Our new home has a pool with a deep end and Bob doesn't want me swimming by myself so this year I didn't get to watch the stars once and I missed that time horribly. Next year, Bob's going to have to learn to cope. I think I'll buy a swim jacket of some kind that I can promise to wear whenever I get in the pool when he isn't there cause I'm not ready to give up those precious moments that make life so wonderful. Yeah. I'm simple.

We have friends coming for a visit tomorrow around 6pm so I have to figure out if I am going to cook or not. Probably will if I find the time because I'm getting sick of the same old fast food. Yes. We eat that much of it.

Good news is that the stench in the house has been brought down by 80% and I can only hope that our friends have stuffy noses and can't smell anything. Get this, Bob had to organize his garage (we never had one at the old house) because he had been moving stuff from the old house over the past month. (Seriously, I hired movers and everything and we still had to go to the house today to pick up scaffolding from in behind the shed! I hired frickin' movers!!!). Anyways, he spent most of the night sorting through the crap and he must have found some Christmas potpourri or something because the laundry room (stink central) smells like cinnamin. Much better than how it smelled yesterday!

On the book front I'm at a loss. I took a book with me when Bob was moving scaffolding - I started by helping and repeatedly mentioned how I had hired movers and then the first splat of rain hit my forehead. I was all 'Hell NO!' and Bob graciously said to go sit in the truck. You better believe I sat in that truck. Moving shit in the rain, I don't think so!

Ahem.

I started Lindsay McKenna's Nocturne book and I thought maybe it would work but then, it made a turn I wasn't willing to take. My bad. Yeah, it happened only a few pages in but I already know it's not for me.

I also began Beyond the Pale by Savannah Russe and hit one of those things that I hate. Having fictional characters interact with people who are or were real. A vampire heroine (woohoo) who accidently sucked Lord Byron dry and thus she is the reason he died (fuck me). Then the next scene is how she gets caught by the 'government' and I kept thinking how stupid it was that she just happened to be the reason Lord Byron died and the book was thrown back into the TBR pile.

Hey, I loved that Forest Gump movie like every other person on the planet but it was funny. I didn't have to take it seriously and I'm thinking this book wants to be taken seriously. Ugh.

Oh and then there is the other vampire book that starts out like way too many books lately. 'The night I died' scenario. Yeah. Been there, seen that, don't care anymore. I get it, you're a vampire, next! Damn, where did I put that book. I need to find the title for ya. Ah, yes, I'm the Vampire, That's Why by Michele Bardsley. I'm not saying I have put the book down but strike one has happened and I'm not sure I care to find out if strike two makes an appearance.

I'm feeling like a heartless bitch just naming names here but maybe someone else has read these and will post a 'you must, must, must read that book!!'

You know, or not.

Also, I have screwed up my sleeping again. I know. What a frickin' surprise. It was rainy today and I obviously need the sun to keep me awake. Yeah, just thinking about that sentence doesn't make sense because if I needed the sun to be out then why am I a night person.

Wait! I got it!

If it is supposed to be sunny out and it's not then I get sleepy whereas when it is night time I can't see if it's overcast and gloomy so I don't get sleepy. Okay, in theory there are some serious holes cause on an overcast night you wouldn't see the stars but it's not like I'm out running around having to shop and stuff. It's night time so everything is shut down and it's me and my books and computer and TV and if it's gloomy, you can't tell because it's dark.

Phew, I knew there was a logical explaination for my sleep patterns.

Shut up.

It works and it has plausibility. Now, if you will excuse me, I'm going to go look that word up and make sure I'm using it correctly.

10 comments:

Megan Frampton said...

Hey, go read my book!

Since you've been so disappointed lately, either you'll be pleasantly surprised, or it'll be disappointing, which will be consistent with your recent experiences.

A win/win all around!

Dev said...

Congratulations on the closing. I'm sure it's a little sad, but you'll be able to fix up this new house the way you want it ~ eventually you'll probably feel the same about this house as you did your old one.

Glad the stench has gone down. By the time you cook (if you decide to) it will probably be like normal again. (I hope I'm making sense...couldn't sleep. Woke up on autopilot this morning and am a little rummy yet).

After my post last night, I did pick up a book I like so I'll be hopefully finishing that one up today. It's Getting What You Want, the first in the Stepp sisters trilogy by Kathy Love.

Kristie (J) said...

I've been having problems getting into new books too - it's not the books it's me. I just finally decided to accept that for the moment, new books are out, so I'm going back to remembered favourites. Maybe doing something like that might help to recharge the reading batteries.

Bob & Muffintop said...

Er. Don't understand why it's ok to swim in a 5' deep pool alone, but not ok in a pool with a deep end. You only need 2" of water to drown. It is possible to drown in a bowl of water. If he let you swim alone before I don't understand the change. I agree though that you ought to wear a lifejacket even if it's only to keep you both happy. Swimming at night during the summer sounds heavenly.

Haven't read any of the books you mentioned. I don't like vamp books unless they're happy as they are. The angst ridden 'OMG I want to see the sun (get my soul back, etc.)' vamps are worthless to me.\

Congrats on the new place & not carrying the old one. It's always sad to let go of an old one (esp. if you've finally remodeled it, etc).

Anonymous said...

I just got the Bardsley book. It looks cute and I don't think the scenario you mentioned bothers me. If it's an "I" book though, I can't read it just yet since I'm about to start my 3rd "I" book and thats just a little more first person POV than I can handle at the moment.

Anonymous said...

Alot of people seem to be in a book slump ... I went thru that awhile back. Read some other genres to cleanse the pallette and came back to catch up on what I missed. Seemed to help.

Anyway, Congrats on the house cleaning!!!

Anonymous said...

I have the Bardsley book TBR from the library. I keep picking it up and then putting it back. It'll probably go back to the library unread, because I'm paranormaled out right now.

Russe's vampire series -- ~meh~. I read the first one, but the end really pissed me off, so I haven't picked the second one up.

Holly said...

CONGRATS ON THE CLOSING, and I'm sorry it was bittersweet. In no time you'll have the smell (hopefully) in control and the remodelling done on this one. Then it'll feel like home.

I'm in a slump as well. I just can't seem to get in to anything new. I'm trying to muddle my way through a short story by Nora Roberts, but it's not working very well.

Maybe I'll find something at the UBS tomorrow, though.

Holly said...

I read Linday McKenna's Nocturne book last night....soooo boring! Be glad you decided to put it aside. Seriously.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the closing!

RE: real people in romances...uh oh. *bites nails*

I've read a couple of book lately, but aside from one novella, nothing has knocked my socks off. Oh! Slave to Sensation, but everyone else has already read it anyway.