Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Sebastian, Yummy St. Something or Other


Well, I'm not going to do a review of Devil in Winter because I'm pretty sure there are plenty around. I'd look but my back is wailing and I'm feeling lazy. So, you know, google it.

Edited - I'm so sweet *snort* AAR review is here. If I knew the first thing about how to search other people's blogs for reviews I would try and find another but again, my back is bitching and moaning.

Even still, I feel I owe a certain someone *cough* Kristie *cough* an explanation as to why Sebastian is my new boy toy - uh, that is, favourite hero.

1. I have a fondness for stories where the H/H get married early on because of circumstances beyond their control. For me, it means that there is no out. They have to figure all their crap out and when an author does it well, it just makes me all warm and gooey inside. Kleypas did it fantastic!

2. Sebastian and Evie did not go into the marriage with any expectations of love or fulfillment. Having a heroine go into a marriage already knowing and more importantly accepting the past of the hero was wonderful. I dislike books where the heroine believes she can 'fix' the hero. Evie does not have these delusions and I was grateful! Sebastian meanwhile, does not promise anything and even promotes the 'he is who he is and that's that' type of life. I appreciated his honesty about himself and what he was. Watching him try to figure out how to save himself from Evie was a treat.

3. I think hearing that Sebastian was almost as good as Derek kept my expectations from getting out of hand. I loved Derek but I disliked how many times he sent Sarah away. Sebastian tried to send Evie away but she just never left. Much easier on my nerves.

4. This one is odd. I don't normally like books where sex occurs near the beginning but I thought it was wonderfully done and I liked Evie's commitment to herself. Definitely gave Sebastian pause.

My only problem with Devil in Winter was that Evie's family situation became glossed over. I would have preferred that the family remain the villains instead of bringing in another character to create havoc.

I'm also glad I was warned about Cam not being Daisy's hero but I'm thinking it should have been fairly obvious in that he was always referred to as a boy. He's twenty five years old!! I don't know how old Daisy's hero is but I would guess he's older than twenty five. I guess certain readers will have to wait for Cam to age. I mean, really. A twenty five year old boy? Uh, no!

So that's my explanation.

On a side note I am one of the volunteers for AAR who does polling so I'll probably get slammed over the next few weeks with ballots. We'll see how my blogging gets affected. So far, I am responsible for doing the Top 10 Favourite Heroes and I have received 17 ballots with 118 different heroes named. I should ask Rosario how to do a screen capture of the spreadsheet I have running. Luckily, this is a category where I think many people have to sit and think so hopefully the ballots will come in steady and we won't get a day where forty ballots show up. (Happened to LinnieGayl and Lee in the first poll - I got to sit on the side lines and panic. Helpful, no?)

Anyways, I would stay and chat longer but my back is telling me to get the hell out of this chair and find that damn heating pad.

Lordy, when are these pain pills going to kick in!

13 comments:

Marg said...

I've been meaning to say that I really love your new layout!

meljean brook said...

I really liked DIW -- my only problem was that I felt Sebastien got kind of emasculated during that long convalescence (did I spell that right?) and I'd have preferred to see him in action during those chapters. Like, he was made "safe" or something. So I did feel that, though he definitely had character growth, and he grew all manly and stuff, it was unfortunate that the only way he gave it was when he had no other choice.

But I loved the beginning (probably because I liked Sebastien's character best then) and completely agree about the family -- they should have remained the villains.

Oh! and IIRC, Matthew in Daisy's book isn't too much older. I don't think past thirty.

Screen captures -- one way to do it is to choose "print screen" (it copies the image on your screen) and then either paste the image into your photo editor or into MS Word.

Mailyn said...

I actually dislike the heroine sticking around after the hero send them away. It's like, don't you have any pride?!?! I say his sorry ass should go beg for her to come back when he is ready to realize his mistake.

OK, I am a bitch but what to do? lol

dancechica said...

I really liked this book. It was the first Kleypas book I ever read. I loved Sebastian and Evie was a good herione too. Oh and I love new look! Very nice. :-)

Rowena said...

Okay I skipped your thoughts on DiW, even though you didn't review it, I just don't want to know anything about the story until I read it, after I'm done with IHOA.

Rowena said...

Hmm, what does IIRC mean? Is that a dumb question? LOL...

Dev said...

This is my favorite of the Wallflower series ~ I love Sebastian and I enjoy watching Evie getting stronger and stronger throughout the course of the story.

I really need to reread this one.

Jennie said...

I really like books where the couple gets married right near the beginning too. So much more satisfying, especially in historicals. :)

Holly said...

I loved Seb and Evie. I think they made a great couple, though I agree about how her family issues were just glossed over. Especially since they were an issue right from the beginning of the series.

ReneeW said...

I agree with your items 1, 2 and 4 but I still think I like Derek a tad bit better. You're such a good person to volunteer for that polling stuff. Which reminds me I need to get mine in. Hope you're feeling better. Back problems are no fun.

Mailyn said...

IIRC means if I remember correctly D.

Jodi_Lee said...

Sebastion St. Vincent is on top of my list of favorite heroes right behind Alec Tyron of Tiger's Eye, by Karen Robards - I love the bad boys!

Anonymous said...

WoOT!

::points another point on DiW's side::

we shall catch up one day kristie, oh yes we will ;)