Thursday, September 07, 2006

Speechless? Who Me?

Okay, I will now attempt a review of Lover Awakened.

Edited: Okay not so much a review as just my thoughts on Z.

I know. I'm not sure I'm ready for this!

Let's start with this. I think you should read the first book (Dark Lover) in the series so you know just who the hell all these people are. And really that's my entire beef with these books.

It's Suzanne Brockmann all over again (and really, do we need to rehash my feelings on her latest books? Didn't think so. Guess who loves SB? Yep. Ward. Crap.) *sigh* Really, don't you wish you could read a series without falling all over yourself because you just have to read *cough* Butch's *cough* story now!?

So yeah, read the first book in the series and go from there. (Note to Kristie, you don't have to read Lover Eternal to read this book - just know that Bella, the heroine was abducted at the end of that story and this book starts 6 weeks later.)

Here's something else for ya. Besides the whole 'way too similar to Brockmann and way too many plots happening at one time' thing, this story was pure perfection. It is in my Top Ten Favourite Books of All Time, hands down. Dark Lover and Lover Eternal were really just the opening acts for this story. That's how much I loved everything about Zsadist and Bella.

Let's see if we can cut to some information without spoiling anything for those who are still on the fence.

Zsadist is one of the Brothers who are of the warrior class and are the guardians of vampire civilians. There is also a class system in vampire society (I mean, really, where isn't there a class structure) and the elite class is much like Regency England with all this structure, restrictions and rules. Bella, the heroine, is from this class.

Normally, no big deal for a warrior to be attracted to an upper class woman except Zsadist was kept as a blood slave upon his transition for a hundred years before his twin brother finally found and rescued him. Why blood slaves were ever invented or allowed beats me but now it's frowned upon.

To quote his own brother Phury, Zsadist isn't broken, he's ruined.

This is Zsadist's story and much of it is not pretty.

We find out about the sexual abuse suffered from both the woman who kept him shackled and the men that she liked to show him off to. Zsadist was so very innocent when he was taken as a slave and to see how he tries to assimilate what is being done to him is painful. One person in the entire time showed him compassion and the master had that person killed.

To survive Zsadist separated himself from his body and emotions. All except hatred.

It was phenomenal to see how J.R. Ward didn't flinch in telling a story about a man who had no connection to human emotion and how he came back to life. It was a breath of fresh air to see a real recovery versus a 'OMG I love you and now I'm all better' approach to real life issues. Sure, it was Bella that reached out to him and just refused to take no for an answer but sometimes no was the answer and Z is the only hero I know who meant it.

In all honesty, no review will do this book any justice.

Outside of Zsadist's story of course are the other people in the book and OMG, WTF was going on!? That's right. Another author who knows how to make a reader beg for more.

I'm considering boycotting the next one.

*snort*

I said that with a straight face!

Here's the thing though, I finished this book and was satisfied. Sure there are more brothers who need their stories told but I'm okay with waiting now. I'm not sure anyone could top Z and that, my friends, is from an 'I heart Butch' fangirl.

Okay, I was a Butch fangirl but now I'm wondering about his metrosexual ways. Give me my men without vanity. Okay, they need to bathe and shit but designer duds? Please.

Yet, I do have to bring up once again the whole 'too many people and plots' thing. I'm sorry but I don't give a rat's ass about some kid named John right now because I want to know about Z and Bella. Period. When I re-read these kind of books I don't read the sub-plots. I read for romance. Still, when I'm first reading I don't like to skip over things in case I miss a plot point that will be important to the main couple. All the same, I did skim over the lessers (evil guys) shit.

All the same, this book was a KEEPER!!!!!!!

Just so you know Tara Marie was much more eloquent than I was so go read her opinion here. I just nodded the whole time I read her post. Dead on.

11 comments:

~ames~ said...

Hi Cindy-great review that didn't give anything away. LOL I'm just sick to read this now (well, I'm physically sick already). hehehe

Glad you liked this. :P

Colleen Gleason said...

Nice review. I'm picking it up tonight. Been slathering for Z's story and can't wait!

Kristie (J) said...

I still want to read Lover Eternal before I read this one :)
The reading still hasn't come back though so I am getting such a massive build-up of books it's scary!! My TBR pile was bad before but now - Whoa. I've read 3 books since the beginning of August and I normally read 4 a week!

CindyS said...

Ames - I've been physically upset since I finished the book! I get the blues when I finish a great book and the blues were bad this time. I was actually all weepy on the weekend and I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. Luckily Bob will ask about a good book I read recently if I'm crying for no reason. Good man.

Colleen - Oh, you won't be sorry and I'm impatiently *foot tapping* waiting for your book to come out uh, sometime this millenium ;)

Kristie - I'm just wanted you to know you can leave Rhage's book for another time. It's only normal that those things you once took pleasure in will fade. It'll all come back it will just be a very long time. Course, buying books never seems to go out of style ;)

CindyS

Holly said...

Well, snap. Ok, I'll read it tonight, then. I guess. LOL

CindyS said...

HOLLY!! I was just over at your blog and banged my head on the desk because I missed the 'who am I by my drink' game :(

I used to drink Tom Collins. Okay, never mind. I figure if you are drinking something with a man's name then you're desperate. And I was ;)

CindyS

ReneeW said...

Great review, Cindy. Everyone all over blogland has read it and loved it. I'm resigned to the fact that I will probably be the last one to read it. I was going to order it online but I just could stand the thought of paying both sales tax and shipping. *sigh* I'll try again this weekend to find it and heads will roll if I'm not successful.

Tara Marie said...

I think your review is great and much more entertaining. I love your running commentary.

Kristie can definitely skip the last one, it tends to pale next to this one anyway.

CindyS said...

Renee - you always seem to be the last for those books we are all looking for. I would go snakey!!

Tara Marie - much too kind considering I just ramble on whereas you actually make sense ;)

CindyS

Rosario said...

Cindy, I just finished it and ahhhhhh!! I totally agree with what you wrote. And LOL about your Brockmann commentary, though if she were Brockmann, Z's story would have come after 6 more books, and in HC.

CindyS said...

Rosario - touche my friend ;) and *sigh*

CindyS