Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Match Me If You Can by SEP


Holy read-a-thon Batman!!!

I sat down at 6am and started to read Match Me If You Can by Susan Elizabeth Phillips and didn't stop until I was finished at 1pm. So that's seven hours to read a 400 page book. Is that any good? Oh and I soooo skimmed description of interiors and shit because I just needed to know how they would get together.

Here a news flash.

I would rate this book as luke warm. I mean, I can't say kisses but then I'm feeling pretty ripped off so it wasn't warm. Sexually I mean.

It would be a keeper if the sex scenes had maybe been fleshed out a little more. So I'll give it a solid B+.

Cindy Summary - You have Heath Champion who is the like bestest sport agent eva and well, he has walled himself off from the love of a good woman. Yeah, there's a bunch of history but if you wanna know read the book. Heath has set a goal of being married by 35 and needs the most perfect wife, uh, ever. Again, he worked his way up and needs a stellar mate.

'kay, Annabelle is a flake and yet, she's really not because she's pretty much me on an unusually busy day (like I've ever been that busy). Just saying. I liked her and she was funny and never has a good hair day. Should probably mention that she is starting up a romance match business or whatever and lands Heath as her big fish. That's right, she's the one that has to find him a wife.

If you can't see where this is all heading, welcome to wonderful world of romance, here's your toaster. Please be sure to pick up a hundred more books from the romance section of your bookstore and get back to me. Nah, you don't need a list, just start grabbing. No, really. You'll thank me.

What makes this different from the rest of the same old, same old is the wicked banter between Heath and Annabelle. Also, there is a depth to the writing so that you really get to know these characters. These are two people who make mistakes and do stupid things but you never really feel like it's a plot contrivance. Just by allowing us into Heath's head we realize that even though *we* may not have done what Annabelle did, it was what had to happen.

I do have to mention that every freakin' character SEP has ever written about was also running around on stage. Yeah. Okay. I get it. Everyone married really, really well and are sooooo in love. Can you tell I don't read 'sport' romances? I couldn't really tell you which SEP's I have read but I do know that Heath and Annabelle are probably my favourite character of hers.

So, to sum up, this book may be a keeper for you if hot sex scenes are not needed to qualify in that category. Just so happens, I like a little fire in my stories. Z style.

Oh shit, did I say that out loud?

Hey, this was a great way to break out of the funk I was in over finishing Z's book. What? Yes I'm still talking about him! Okay, no more Z. Got it. Sheesh.

End review.

Lookit me all short, sweet and to the point.

10 comments:

Samantha said...

Yeah, the plot was predictable but what I liked about this story were some of the little scenes. Like the princess party and the end when Heath goes to get Annabelle and brings her balloons.

Also did the side romance bore you to death like it did me?

CindyS said...

Samantha - yes! about the side romance and it didn't feel romantic. It felt stalkerish.

Yeah, my review leaves much to be desired ;) It was all the little scenes that made this book so great and yet, kept the H/H from just being together.

CindyS

ReneeW said...

Whew, I'm glad you liked it! I was worried for a sec. Yup, coulda had more sex and less characters from her other books but I loved the princess party. The witty dialogue between the H/H was probably the best part of the book.

I'll probably be the last one to read LA. It sounds really good but I can't take the pressure anymore of trying to locate a copy. :)

Mailyn said...

If you can't see where this is all heading, welcome to wonderful world of romance, here's your toaster. Please be sure to pick up a hundred more books from the romance section of your bookstore and get back to me. Nah, you don't need a list, just start grabbing. No, really. You'll thank me.

LMAO!!!! I love your blog so damn much. :-P

Mailyn said...

Yay Twilight and Tithe!!!!!!!

Dev said...

Well, it sounds good. I think it's on my wishlist somewhere.

Jennie said...

Dialogue is definitely what I like best about SEP books. The stories themselves are not great. I did like this heroine more than a lot of hers though.

O-ho, you want a little fire??!! Slave to Sensation is HOT!

Yes, I'm going to keep harassing you until you read it. MWAHAHAHAHAHAH!

CindyS said...

Renee - yeah, I could see re-reading this book but only for the dialogue and sexy parts. Other than that, it was way too much about other things.

Mailyn - thanks Sweets!! Yep, I have broken the seal on YA books. Haven't cracked the book but, it's in the house ;)

Devonna - I should probably have linked to people who have actually done reviews of the book to give you a better idea ;)

Jennie - there you go, twisting my rubber arm ;) Now, where did I put that book?

CindyS

Nicole said...

I keep meaning to read SEP's books, but I still haven't gotten to any. Any particular I should start with whenever I finally do read her?

CindyS said...

Nicole, you know what, maybe I didn't make this one sound appealing but I found it to be much better than the few I have read (I have such a bad memory and I wasn't keeping track back when I read her books).

I would start with this one, it just means you know who all the heroes and heroines are but then, really, would be that much of a surprise ;)

CindyS