Wednesday, September 06, 2006

This One Is Going To Be Political


This post is on a serious note and those that have been here before know I rarely get serious but this one is just pulling at my heart.

On Labour Day I learned that a Canadian soldier was killed while 30 others were injured in a friendly fire incident in Afghanistan. It is reported that two U.S. A-10 Thunderbirds opened fire with bullets the size of pop bottles on Canadian forces at 5:30am.

I am saddened whenever I hear of a friendly fire incident but I believe that soldiers are more aware of such a danger than most civilians. It is tragic and horrible that it happens but it does not strip those who died or were injured of their hero status. They went to fight for freedom and I wholeheartedly support those that fight in ways that terrify me.

I do not find fault with the pilots of those planes either. They were there to do their job and mistakes are bound to happen and I think it's horrible when it is these very men who are the ones held wholly responsible for the error.

My thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of all those who were involved in this horrible and tragic moment.

Everything about this incident is heart breaking but it is the political side that is starting to create a chasm in my soul.

What I am about to admit may seem petty or small but I know I am not the only Canadian who has felt the burn of nonchalance that has come from the United States president.

It started with the fall of the twin towers.

Canadians watched in horror and grief the day the U.S. was attacked on it's own shores. I sat in front of the television every hour of that first week and prayed and cried like many around the world. I watched and wept when the U.S. Congress assembled to sing their national anthem and I felt the need for justice for those who had not trespassed against anyone but were slain without mercy.

When I knew that President Bush was going to address his nation I sat to watch this historic event. I thought he spoke eloquently and that he was aware of the needs of his people.

All the same, there was a time in his speech when he told the American people those countries that had extended their condolences. I waited as he went through the list of countries. I waited for President Bush to tell everyone that Canadians from shore to shore had felt the blow and were grieving with them.

It never came.

I decided that I was being petty and that it wasn't about those of us who needed to express our grief and support and I tried to stifle the feelings of bewilderment. Apparently, the Canadian press was not so silent and when asked why President Bush did not tell his people about Canada's support it was thrown out that no one felt it was necessary because 'it was a given'.

I can tell you that at that point, as a Canadian, I was shocked.

In that one moment I no longer looked to the political offices of the U.S. to ever acknowledge Canadian support and I don't think we have ever been looked upon as an ally since. Still, we sent soldiers to Afghanistan to fight the Taliban and I am proud of the men and women who chose to go overseas.

The silence from the American government has been deafening as one local paper called it today and I have ignored it the best I could.

This friendly fire incident though is the final straw that broke this woman's back.

President Bush has not said a word about it.

We were given condolences from the US Ambassador. I am grateful that these men were acknowledged by the Ambassador but I will now tell you that George Bush can't leave office fast enough for me. I am smart enough to know that he is not to be looked upon as the only voice of his people. I know in my heart that there are American families who were saddened by the loss of a man from another country who was fighting for freedom.

What is horrible is this feeling that I am starting to have because of the U.S. President and thus, the country.

I am starting to get a 'kiss my ass' kind of mentality when it comes to anything this man might ask my country for. While he splinters off to fight a war with Iraq to finish what I believe was his 'daddy's war' there are troops from around the world fighting the Taliban in Afghanistan. I think this guy has balls of steel for going into a country, destroying it and then looking around at the world and telling them to come and clean up the mess that was made.

Sure, hindsight is 20/20 but it was talked about openly around here how we felt that George Bush was just looking to finish the war his daddy started. To this day, I truly believe this is what happened. He only needed the most miniscule of reasons to run into Iraq and the American people are the ones who are paying for it.

I shouldn't even mention the response Canadians got when we offered to come and give aid to those who were affected by Katrina. A big, thanks but no thanks.

Fine.

Even so, I did give to the Red Cross and participated in auctions to benefit Katrina victims because in the end, it's about the people who really do want and need the help. I try and ignore the governments who thinks they can handle it on their own.

It is wonderful that the US and Canada have elected offices. It means that eventually there will be a change in the office of President and I can only hope that the man who comes in next will remember who some of his old friends are while maintaining all their new alliances.

13 comments:

CindyS said...

Wow, just want to let you all know that now that I have written this post I am feeling much better. I have been weepy since I finished my latest keeper and will get back to being my fun loving goofy self in my next post. Promise.

CindyS

Kristie (J) said...

Cindy: I'm not one to get political either but I echo everything you say except I am somewhat harder on the incidence of 'friendly fire' then you are. I watched a documentary on the death by 'friendy fire' among the military in different countries and it was staggering how much higher it was in the US. What was also interesting was the different attitudes. In other countries each event was thoroughly investigated while in the US it was almost a "oh well, casualties of war" attitude.

I've always considered "The States" to be our best friends. I grew up in a border town and I watched in horror how the previous Canadian government treated the US. You just don't treat your buddies that way!!! I was far more disgusted by the way the Liberal government behaved. But I've come to the conclussion after witnessing George Bush in office over the past six years that he is truly missing something fundamental. His lack of action towards his own people after Katrina, his single minded determination to invade Iraq despite overwhelming evidence that there was no reason to attack them other than his own personal agenda. I see what is going on there now - anyone interested - just check out the Baghdad Burning blog (link at Karen S) and it is tragic.
And while yes - I too support what those who are fighting for us in Afghanistan are trying to do but part of me wonders if those in power have ever read the history of war in that area before they went in.
And I see such a split in the nation of the United States that permeates today and it saddens me to no end.
I feel the pulling in your heart you feel because I feel it too.

Mailyn said...

Cindy, if it makes you feel better almost half of the US hates Bush as much as the rest of the world seems to do. I think he is a moron but, to be honest, I think most politicians are self-serving, greedy bastards and that, given human nature, it's all the power that goes to their head.

I am not a fan of any politician, or of politics, which is more like back stabbing and bitchiness than anything else.

I do feel bad for the poor innocent people everywhere that have to experience such things as war, etc.

Dev said...

Dammit ~ I had this eloquent lovely post that I just made and blogger ate it. I very rarely sound eloquent it's an even less frequent that I sound lovely.

ITA exactly what Mailyn said. I've never been in support of the war, and have been waiting five years for an honest, truthful explanation of why we're there. I'll clarify though that even though I'm not a supporter of the war, I do support our troops. That's their job. But as far as Bush goes, I'm not a fan.

When 9/11 first happened, there were many supporters of the war. But the longer this has drug out, the more folks there are who are opposed to it ~ and the more Bush's approval rating has plummeted. The next presidential election can't come soon enough for me. But then again, as far as politicians go ~ it's a very rare thing if we can find one who is truly honest and is a public servant, which is what they are supposed to be.

CindyS said...

Kristie - I should see if I can find that documentary. I guess I feel just as bad for the men who have killed and injured their allies as I do for those who were hurt. What I do get upset about is that normally it's the men/women in the front lines who end up taking the blame. I'm pretty sure that no one can fire without permission from their superiors but I have yet to hear the superiors get torched.

Mailyn - Thanks. I know that Bush's rating have been falling but this guys incompetence has been fiercely felt. Yeah, politicians are a whole other specie of man but I guess we always have to go for the less of all evil ;)

Devonna - you're always eloquent! Yeah, honest and trustworthy - doesn't ever seem to be the standard of the day.

I think that maybe it should be a given that not supporting the war has nothing to do with the troops. The troops are forever thought of and supported it's the politics behind wars that always needs to be examined.

Cindys

Mailyn said...

Cindy a lot of people seem to think that, just because we hate the Pres we don't support the troops or care for the country. To me that is 110% bull crap. It's like, I could hate aperson but be friends with their friend. One thing isn't necessarily connected.

I've never liked any politician. I mean, if you read about any country at any given point in time in the history of mankind I have yet to see a good, honest one. Some are better and some are worse but good? honest? Hmm. LOL.

Devonna I think that was lovely and eloquent. :-)

ReneeW said...

Cindy, I absolutely agree with you 100%. Bush is an embarrassment and I'm ashamed of him. Probably the worst president this country has ever had. After 9/11 he squandered the goodwill of the world to launch an attack against Iraq for no reason. I too support the troops and plan to vote in November for those politicians who want to bring them home to their families. 'Friendly fire' is just appalling and I feel for those families and their loss. I hope they do an investigation.

Our foreign policy is in the toilet and we have lost the repect of the world. I remember the incident you described when Canada's offer of help after Katrina was rejected. Another shameful incident. What I don't get is his 38% approval rating. Who are these people? Are they on drugs or maybe living on another planet? I don't think I'm going to be able to stand another two years. The only hope is for a change of leadership in Congress after the November elections.

CindyS said...

Renee - I just watched Katie Couric's show tonight about it being 5 years and is the US safer.

I wonder if those who support Bush are those who are fighting the war. They believe in what they are doing for their people. Tonight they were interviewing soldiers who said that they would fight in Iraq to ensure that an attack on American soil never happens again. I can only be humbled by their commitment.

I'm not sure if you guys have seen the movie Black Hawk Down (which was dead to rights on what actaully happened) and at the end the US pulled out and the men who fought and survived felt like they had let those who had perished in the fight down. If they were not going to stay until they won then why did they show up.

CindyS

Kristie (J) said...

Humbled by their commitment - yes, I am too. They are such brave and dedicated young men and women. But the whole tragedy of this is Iraq was never a threat. Thousands and thousands of dedicated soldiers who are fighting because their leaders are telling them too, are losing their lives and for what?? If they centered on Afghanistan where the real threat came from that would be a different matter. Instead all you have now in Iraq is a country on the verge of civil war, faction against faction and a real breeding ground for even more deeply committed terrorists. The world is a much less safer place today than it was before September 11.
My heart goes out to those young American soldiers killed there and the Canadian and English soldier killed in Afghanistan and other countries - for all the innocent victims of terrorists. And I feel so much for the families of all those killed. I lay this all at the feet of George Bush and his group who didn't think of the repurcussions they might face. He has cause a split in the world and in his own country that I don't know if it can ever be healed. It's not that I hate the man. (I hated Jean Chretien) I am deeply saddened though that he ever came into the office of President of the United States.
And we aren't even talking about what an economic mess the US is in and will continue to be in with billions and billions of dollars being spent on the war.

~ames~ said...

Great post Cindy. That's exactly how I've been feeling. My father is in the Air Force, so this stuff really hits home for me.

Holly said...

Gah! I had a whole post written out and it just...disappeared. Stupid blogger!

Anyway, I'll shorten it up and just apologize on behalf of my country. I was very saddened to hear about the Canadian soldier, and I have always been very aware of all the support your country offers ours. So THANK YOU!

There, I said it, even if the government didn't. :D

Lemon Stand said...

I am saddened at the response of our government to the Canadians. Please believe that many of us who have worked with Canadian forces hold them in the highest regard. My sincere condolences on the loss of one of your own and the injured. My heart and prayers go out to not only friends and family but to your nation.

CindyS said...

Ames - my Uncle was in the Air Force also but retired close to 10 year ago now! Is your father overseas? I hope not and if he is he will be in my prayers!

Holly - Thanks hon. All us little people feel the gratitude and compassion now if only our leaders would stop being huge asses.

Lemon Stand - Thank you so much. I can't tell you how much it means to know people appreciate our Canadian soldiers just as much as we do.